Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

old Gs400 or new es350 purchase worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 05:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

New ES350.
Old 10-16-12, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you can get the ES and still meet your other day-to-day expenses, I'd go that way. I notice you live in IL, where it snows and has cold winters. The ES's FWD will be superior in those conditions over a RWD GS, even with all-season tires....though winter-tires might help. The ES will also be a Certified (CPO) Lexus, which comes with some perks and a good warranty. The ES, in general, will probably be more comfortable and ride a little smoother. The GS, of course, with RWD, will have better chassis weight-balance and handle better in high-speed corners on dry pavement, but it sounds to me like that's not the kind of driving you usually do.
Old 10-16-12, 10:37 AM
sanjaysdca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were in your situation
I would buy a late model CPO Hyundai (Sonnata or Accent).
Lower operating cost,
Hyundai is as reliable.
Has all the creature comfert.
May not be as refined...that can be argued.

Late model Altima is another choice.

What you want is LOWER RECURRING expenses.

However if you want to see the reality as you WISH its was as oppose to reality as IT IS...then go ahead and buy a new ES or GS or LS....there is a bank out there that will loan you the money and suck you dry (14-20% interest).

It looks like you are not buying a car but a BRAND...and there is nothing wrong with it. Just be careful and dont hurt yourself and blame the bank/govt later.
Old 10-16-12, 03:33 PM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethinrules
I was looking at some cars that were a little less luxurious than lexus, however, due to back problems, it looks like I really need to be in the market for cars with softer, higher quality leather, otherwise I tend to be extremely uncomfortable when driving.
This screams of trying to justify your desire for a Lexus. I'd imagine seat cushioning and suspension is much more important than how soft the leather is when it comes back pain.

Here's the reality: you don't make much, you have debt, and you can't get a good rate on a car loan. Trying to justify a 14% APR loan for a Lexus as a way of building credit is silly. Buy an older Camry or something, use a credit card instead of a debit card for all purchases to improve your credit (pay off in full each month!), and live below your means to save up for a house.