Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Asimo has a friend! Honda debuts Miimo robotic lawnmower

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 09:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Asimo has a friend! Honda debuts Miimo robotic lawnmower

Wasn't sure where this belongs, but thought it was kinda cool. A Roomba for the lawn!

Asimo has a friend! Honda debuts Miimo robotic lawnmower

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/honda...photo-5221822/

People who know me say that if it weren't for Autoblog, I'd probably be running a site called Mowerblog. I'm unusual in that lawn mowing, to me, is a form of relaxation, a hobby like knitting or racquetball is for someone else. As such, I try to buy the best equipment, and that means there's a Honda mower in my garage.

You didn't know? The company that builds the Accord and Civic are to lawn mowers what Lamborghini is to cars. But today, Honda has introduced a new mower called Miimo that takes me out of the equation entirely. Miimo is an autonomous robotic mower that Honda will be selling in the European market only (for now) starting in 2013.

Miimo runs on power supplied by its lithium-ion battery pack and, just like a Roomba robotic vacuum, will return to its charging station for a fresh batch of electrons when it runs out. Upon purchase, an authorized installer will set up the charging station, as well as run the boundary wire around the perimeter of the yard in which Miimo has to stay. The mower can operate in a random pattern (again, like a Roomba), a directional mode where it mows back and forth in lines, or a combination of the two. As for safety, Miimo has bump sensors so it won't break any potted plants, and if lifted off the ground, its blades will automatically stop and starting up again requires entering a unique PIN number.

Miimo will come in two models, 300 and 500, which refer to their maximum perimeter cuts, and according to Honda, a 500 can mow up to 3,000 square meters or three quarters of an acre. Honda hasn't mentioned pricing, but going by the cost of its push mowers in the U.S., Europeans should expect to pay a premium for giving Asimo's best friend a home.

Will the Miimo replace my HRX217VKA? Probably not anytime soon. While the market for robotic lawnmowers is growing, especially with green-conscious homeowners searching for less-polluting lawn care equipment, human supervision is still required and, at least for people like me, buying a Miimo would mean giving up those precious few hours a week where I can't hear the rest of the world over the sound of the blades.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/21/a...tic-lawnmower/
Old 08-21-12, 09:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, I love Asimo !!!! hhahahahahaha
Old 08-21-12, 09:41 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pricing is mentioned in this news link:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...rticle4491351/

Still too expensive. I was one of the first ones to order a roomba in Canada directly from iRobot and I had paid close to $700 in 2001. No way I am paying $2500 for this.
Old 08-21-12, 10:53 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

skynet....
Old 08-22-12, 05:23 AM
LexFather

Does Vtach kick in yo??

"you know let's put the V-8 on the shelf and dominate the self propelled lawn mower market"!!

Old 08-22-12, 09:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Does Vtach kick in yo??

"you know let's put the V-8 on the shelf and dominate the self propelled lawn mower market"!!
Wait till Toyota/Lexus puts a HSD in it. Those blades of grass will never know what hit'em
Old 08-22-12, 02:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wait till Toyota/Lexus puts a HSD in it. Those blades of grass will never know what hit'em
lol...silent but effective!

Old 08-22-12, 02:24 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Husky has had one out for a while now, but still too expensive:

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products...or-homeowners/

John Deere as well:

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_INT.../tango_e5.page

there are quite a few companies now that offer robotic lawn mowers, some way more pricey than others.

Last edited by Marklouis; 08-22-12 at 02:30 PM.