Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exotic Driving @ MSR Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 05:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Exotic Driving @ MSR Houston

Exotic Driving Experience | Drive the Exotic Car of Your Dreams

Exotic Driving - MSR Houston | Facebook

Random vids:

Audi R8 V10:

Lamborghini LP560-4:

The event was very well done, everyone was really nice. The track was at MSR Houston which is about an hour from my place. About 15 min south of 288 @ Hwy 6. It is a nice facility, they have a lot of garages where people store their race cars and a go kart track. I saw one garage that had two Vipers inside. I went to the 8am time slot since a lot of time slots were sold out. I wanted to get the Audi and Lambo in the same time slot. I got the same instructor both times, makes sense to do that. Each car has this dial where the instructors can dial back your maximum throttle % if you decide to get in over your head. My dad went with me and drove the Ferrari 458 but he didn't drive too fast. A good thing they do is, if you rented multiple cars, go out in the slower car first so you can learn the track. Then you can go up to a faster car. Also lets say if you rented the Porsche 997 and then the Ferrari 458. It would feel a bit lowsy if you go out in the Ferrari first then get into the Porsche and it doesn't feel as good. So I went out in the R8 first and then the Lambo. You can see my lap times how I am able to decrease them from driving the R8 but when I get into the Lambo I start going hard off the bat. Another good thing is they cover up the speedometer. They said people keep trying to look at it when they are driving and not concentrating. I didn't even think to look at it, I was so concentrating on driving anyways. I don't think I ever looked at the dash. I just drove in automatic the whole time to learn the track and car. Would be too much to try to learn the gearing at the same time.

They give you a USB drive at the beginning which they plug into the car when you get in and start recording. It records two camera angles and telemetry data. If you decide to purchase for $99 it you get to keep the 4GB drive and whatever is on it. So it would be the same price if I drove 1 car or 5 cars. Kinda funny the video wouldnt show up for the R8 there so they gave me half off. Later I went home and the file was corrupted, so I ran a check disc on the drive and it fixed some errors. When I checked the video again the R8 video was fine. So I got both videos for $50. It cost me about $611 to rent both cars and you get six laps each. Actually you get 7 but first one is a warm up.

R8 and Gallardo are both built off the same platform and engine. Audi owns Lamborghini anyways. R8 goes for more luxury and is definitely more quiet and tame when you watch the video. Lambo is definitely more sporty, louder, stiffer, more responsive turning and braking. Interior is better in the R8 and seems more plastic in the Lambo.

R8 V10 laptimes
Lap 2 - 1:33.25
Lap 3 - 1:30.02
Lap 4 - 1:26.88
Lap 5 - 1:25.68
Lap 6 - 1:25.55

Gallardo laptimes:
Lap 2 - 1:27.88
Lap 3 - 1:26.85
Lap 4 - 1:24:08
Lap 5 - 1:26.72
Lap 6 - 1:24.51

The first and last laps have strange times. The first lap starts counting even when I'm waiting at the grid to go, the last lap time is off because we go to the pits, so I didnt include either. Im not sure what the average lap time for most are. I guess I did decent. Laptimes were close for both cars but Im sure with a pro driver the Lambo will beat the R8. Highest speed I achieved was 105 in the Lambo and about 103 in the R8.
Old 08-19-12, 02:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

this looks like so much fun!
Old 08-20-12, 12:08 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like fun. I'd be all over this if something like this was available out here in CA.
Old 08-20-12, 12:19 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! I've been wanting to do something like this for ages now. Maybe for a future birthday

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Looks like fun. I'd be all over this if something like this was available out here in CA.
You can do something similar in Vegas, not too far away

http://www.worldclassdriving.com/
http://exoticsracing.com/
Old 08-20-12, 05:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea ive seen that one in Vegas. Next time I am there I want to try out some of their cars, they have a bigger selection. The outfit that was at MSR is mainly based in Orlando near Disneyworld they have a track there.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-20-12 at 05:08 AM.