Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just bought a '13 Elantra for my son

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 10:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
me too - saw a new one up close the other day (biz event held at the local honda dealer) and that interior is so ugly.

ditto - congrats! that was a great deal too!
thanks,Bit.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry to hear of his injury. Hope the knee heals up OK. is your new Elantra an automatic? (your opening post didn't say). An automatic version, of course, will be much easier for someone with a bad or painful knee to drive....especially the left knee, which normally would be up and down on the clutch.

Top-line Accents start at 16K (manual) or 17K (automatic), and, with options/accessories, can be pushed to 19K list or more, but, of course, what they actually go out the door for is another question.

Mike,it's an auto.He can't drive because the right knee had the operation.
the dealer I bought from had a few Accents from $15900 to $17800.
Loading a '13 with every option listed on Edmunds and the Accent tops out at $18100.
Now if the dealer adds the pack on items,then $19K+ is the number.
I think the Elantra is a better value.The MPGs are 29/40 for the Elantra and 30/40 for the Accent.Both won't hit 40.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
great choice.....and a great deal
Thanks!
Old 07-24-12, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Mike,it's an auto. He can't drive because the right knee had the operation.

the dealer I bought from had a few Accents from $15900 to $17800.
Loading a '13 with every option listed on Edmunds and the Accent tops out at $18100.
Now if the dealer adds the pack on items,then $19K+ is the number.
I think the Elantra is a better value.The MPGs are 29/40 for the Elantra and 30/40 for the Accent.Both won't hit 40.
Agreed. Yes, the 19K top-line Accent figure I quoted was with accessories and options both. The Elantra, in some ways, is a better buy.

And the Elantra's front seat room, which is slightly larger than the Accent's, will give him at least a little more room to get in and out of with a stiff knee.
Old 07-24-12, 10:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. Yes, the 19K top-line Accent figure I quoted was with accessories and options both. The Elantra, in some ways, is a better buy.

And the Elantra's front seat room, which is slightly larger than the Accent's, will give him at least a little more room to get in and out of with a stiff knee.
True and he's 6'2 with a knee brace so the Elantra works better than the Accent.I believe the Elantra has more room in front than the Civic.Then again,I didn't drive the Civic much.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-24-12 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 10:47 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car and congratulations.
Old 07-24-12, 11:06 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

cool options to have for that price, should be a most reliable vehicle in the time he owns it. I think Hyundai is the most improved maker from 10 years ago out of all others.
Old 07-24-12, 02:33 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats!! That's a nice car for your kid!!
Old 07-24-12, 05:00 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pick up! You got a good deal on it!
Old 07-24-12, 05:12 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

$18,400 is a great deal on a hot selling car. I would have also chosen the Elantra.
Old 07-24-12, 05:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Joe, how was your sales rep at the Hyundai dealership? I'm always curious about the sales experience at various dealerships. Tks.
Old 07-24-12, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marklouis
I think Hyundai is the most improved maker from 10 years ago out of all others.
True, but even 10 years ago, in 2002, Hyundai had already rapidly improved from the 1990s (the very first sign in the U.S. market I saw of Hyundai improving was the all-new 1997 Tiburon). And, today, GM and Chrysler are also improving rapidly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-24-12 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 05:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Nice car and congratulations.
Originally Posted by Marklouis
cool options to have for that price, should be a most reliable vehicle in the time he owns it. I think Hyundai is the most improved maker from 10 years ago out of all others.
Originally Posted by adamls2
Congrats!! That's a nice car for your kid!!
Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice pick up! You got a good deal on it!
Originally Posted by scgt652
$18,400 is a great deal on a hot selling car. I would have also chosen the Elantra.

Thanks,guys.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Joe, how was your sales rep at the Hyundai dealership? I'm always curious about the sales experience at various dealerships. Tks.
The sales rep and sales manager were ok..
However,I assumed the car had a compact spare and it doesn't which I'm not happy about.A can of goo and a compressor.This is an econo car and not a corvette or BMW with runflats.
Of course I was never told that.I should have done more research on Hyundai forums and such but was going with a Civic and this was a quick purchase.
The Canadian Elantra's have a compact spare.
Well,I bought the complete spare kit.A Hyundai kit for $225 shipped from a dealer on Ebay.

I should have searched for MMarshall's review earlier.
Old 07-25-12, 07:49 AM
LexFather

=The Civic has great discounting and 0.9% financing.I was out voted by the wife,daughter,son in law,son and 1sicklexus.

Congrats to your son and good luck to him. You made a good choice with the Elantra as your son won't hate you the rest of his life had you gotten the Civic.

Old 07-25-12, 09:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Congrats to your son and good luck to him. You made a good choice with the Elantra as your son won't hate you the rest of his life had you gotten the Civic.

Thanks.
I had to include you in my post.
I know your about your love for Honda/Acura.

It is a better choice,indeed.
I like the Elantra more than I thought I would.It's really a nice car for the money.
Even rides a lot smoother after I lowered the delivery air pressure from 40 to the recommended 32.
Old 07-25-12, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I should have searched for MMarshall's review earlier.
Here you are:

I actually did the review last year, but it's still the same design today.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...tra-sedan.html

Even rides a lot smoother after I lowered the delivery air pressure from 40 to the recommended 32.
That's because, more often than not, the PDI (Pre-Delivery-Inspection) guys in the shop don't do what they're paid to do by checking and adjusting the PSIs when the new cars roll off the transporter....which, of course, is part of their job. They say that they check them, but, often, in fact, they don't. Tire PSIs are usually the first thing I check before I do an actual test-drive, as they can significantly affect both ride and handling. The PSIs are usually bumped-up on the ship/ train/truck-transporters to prevent possible damage to the alloy wheels when soft tires and tie-down-straps could possibly allow the wheel-rims to contact the bed during rocking-motions. Upon reaching the dealership, they are supposed to be bled down to the factory-recommended figures (and re-checked again before customer-delivery). I can't count how many times I've had to do that myself...both for my own review/test-drives, and for people I went car-shopping with when they fond a car they were interested in.

Of course, this kind of neglect/laziness may only be indicative of the low wages that some dealerships give their PDI employees in the shop. If you pay chump-change, that's the kind of work you are sometimes going to get.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-25-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 10:48 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Hey OP, did you consider waiting for the refreshed Civic coming out later this fall? The interior would have been fixed by then.

Quick Reply: Just bought a '13 Elantra for my son