2013 Lexus LS Unveiling - Page 16 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus LS Unveiling

Old 07-20-12, 02:53 PM
  #226  
LexFather
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26 View Post
On a different note, the grill on the LS looks very similar to the LF-LC concept.


Which will be F-sport only. The regular LS has the traditional horizontal slants grill. The CT, RX, GS all use dual grills depending on trim.
 
Old 07-20-12, 02:53 PM
  #227  
Tee
Moderator
 
Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,755
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
I'm looking forward to this...more and more as the days go by and information/speculation takes shape. Personally, I really enjoy the current LS: I think it's probably one of the best looking sedans on the road: clean and conservative, but handsome and subtly aggressive where it counts. I'm also a big fan of the spindle grille and Lexus' recent focus on driving dynamics. I am excited to see how Lexus will apply what they have learned with the new GS to the LS - more bold design, new technology and hopefully more performance in a flagship package.

Some have doubted the ability for a refreshed LS to compete against the new S Class and 7 series, but I think it will be just fine. With a new face and rear end, and updated interior, as well as a for-certain ad campaign claiming that it's "new", this car has a chance to make a splash. The general public probably won't know that it's not 100% new so if Lexus can create a convincing enough case and does a good job marketing the car, it will sell just fine. People know and trust the LS, but in recent years, the competition has been a little newer and sharper. A nip here and a tuck there should be enough to keep the car fresh and competitive for another 2 years.
I agree 100% and well said Mike! Man as we get closer the waiting is starting tug at me more as the days wind down to the debut.
Tee is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 03:01 PM
  #228  
LexFather
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
I'm looking forward to this...more and more as the days go by and information/speculation takes shape. Personally, I really enjoy the current LS: I think it's probably one of the best looking sedans on the road: clean and conservative, but handsome and subtly aggressive where it counts. I'm also a big fan of the spindle grille and Lexus' recent focus on driving dynamics. I am excited to see how Lexus will apply what they have learned with the new GS to the LS - more bold design, new technology and hopefully more performance in a flagship package.

Some have doubted the ability for a refreshed LS to compete against the new S Class and 7 series, but I think it will be just fine. With a new face and rear end, and updated interior, as well as a for-certain ad campaign claiming that it's "new", this car has a chance to make a splash. The general public probably won't know that it's not 100% new so if Lexus can create a convincing enough case and does a good job marketing the car, it will sell just fine. People know and trust the LS, but in recent years, the competition has been a little newer and sharper. A nip here and a tuck there should be enough to keep the car fresh and competitive for another 2 years.
I'm with Tee and you on this. I don't agree that you need to do a redesign for the sake of it. I find the current S-class, 7, LS to have aged greatly. They do not look old to me.

Again this might just be a last 2 year refresh ala the IS and Avalon to stretch things out a bit. They HAD to put the new face on their flagship car. It is quite possible before the new Spindle Grill that the LS would have went 2 more years without significant changes.

I hope the F-sport at least gets 400hp, I mean that is a 5% bump over the 380hp version.

PURE GUESS BELOW

Considering the LS already uses the same 5.0 V-8 in the LS 600h L and now the tranny and brakes from the IS F in the current "sport", maybe the LS F-sport will use the 5.0 V-8 from the IS F for 416hp.

I called it first.

edit-it would be LS 500 then..doh!

Last edited by LexFather; 07-20-12 at 03:23 PM.
 
Old 07-20-12, 03:08 PM
  #229  
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 5,037
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I'm hoping its a total redesign but if its just a face-lift thats ok too. MB isn't expected to launch its "new" S-Class until 2014 anyways. Also the current 7 Series was released in 2009. That means we shouldn't see a new 6th gen 7 Series until around 2015/16 at the earliest.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 07-20-12 at 03:41 PM.
Vh_Supra26 is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 03:22 PM
  #230  
LexFather
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Im an idiot...it would be called LS 500...thanks MP
 
Old 07-20-12, 04:28 PM
  #231  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 9,628
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
I'm with Tee and you on this. I don't agree that you need to do a redesign for the sake of it. I find the current S-class, 7, LS to have aged greatly. They do not look old to me.

Again this might just be a last 2 year refresh ala the IS and Avalon to stretch things out a bit. They HAD to put the new face on their flagship car. It is quite possible before the new Spindle Grill that the LS would have went 2 more years without significant changes.

I hope the F-sport at least gets 400hp, I mean that is a 5% bump over the 380hp version.

PURE GUESS BELOW

Considering the LS already uses the same 5.0 V-8 in the LS 600h L and now the tranny and brakes from the IS F in the current "sport", maybe the LS F-sport will use the 5.0 V-8 from the IS F for 416hp.

I called it first.

edit-it would be LS 500 then..doh!
That's not going to happen.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 07-20-12, 04:31 PM
  #232  
Carmaker1
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
Carmaker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 613
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26 View Post
I'm hoping its a total redesign but if its just a face-lift thats ok too. MB isn't expected to launch its "new" S-Class until 2014 always. Also the current 7 Series was released in 2009. That means we shouldn't see a new 6th gen 7 Series until around 2015 at the earliest.
That is false, as the S-Class will go on sale earlier next year as a 2014. Lexus may sadly be looking to adapt to an 8 year model cycle, which just means we have to wait longer. The next 7-series is one model I look forward to as my mother is looking to upgrade her '11 760Li once the '13 model goes on sale. I did show her a render of the 2016 model and even though the G11 design hasn't been signed off on yet, she claims that she wouldn't buy it. An uncle of mine who isn't too internet savvy wants to know about the new LS from me, as he's deciding on whether to replace his wife's '08 LS460L or his '07 S500(NG-spec) first. I'm sure if I tell him about this LS "face-lift", he'll go for the new S-Class instead. The thing is that, with the exception of my immediate family, most of my relatives won't buy a face-lifted model. They only go for a next generation model, so I hope Lexus really did well with this.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 07-20-12 at 04:49 PM.
Carmaker1 is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 04:40 PM
  #233  
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,745
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cmk1 View Post
That is false, as the S-Class will go on sale earlier next year as a 2014. Lexus may sadly be looking to adapt to an 8 year model cycle, which just means we have to wait longer. The 7-series is one model I look forward to as my mother is looking to upgrade her '11 760Li once the '13 model goes on sale. An uncle of mine who isn't too internet savvy wants to know about the new LS from me, as he's deciding on whether to replace his wife's '08 LS460L or his '07 S500(NG-spec) first. I'm sure if I tell him about this LS "face-lift", he'll go for the new S-Class instead.
well from the spy pics, it is not like S-Class is getting dramatic makeover... heck, it seems to me that changes to LS might even be bigger... especially in the technology department.
spwolf is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 04:48 PM
  #234  
LexFather
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
That's not going to happen.
Late again
 
Old 07-20-12, 04:53 PM
  #235  
Carmaker1
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
Carmaker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 613
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
well from the spy pics, it is not like S-Class is getting dramatic makeover... heck, it seems to me that changes to LS might even be bigger... especially in the technology department.
That sounds good. I always like the underdog to succeed and weirder thing is, I don't even drive a Lexus! I also wonder why certain technologies haven't spread across the Lexus L-finesse II range like APGS, when BMW has it in their 5-series.
Carmaker1 is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 05:18 PM
  #236  
rominl
exclusive matchup
iTrader: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 81,244
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
well what i heard is that while it is not classic TMC FMC, it is so far from MMC that it is FMC

:-)
so? they say all "new" ls too? whether it's true or not it depends on what you actually think it is. if someone says changing some and it's new generation, that's fine with me. isf is on its 5th generation now already.

and then again lexus said lfa was sold out in 2010... wait, ok, we aren't going there
rominl is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 05:27 PM
  #237  
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,745
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rominl View Post
so? they say all "new" ls too? whether it's true or not it depends on what you actually think it is. if someone says changing some and it's new generation, that's fine with me. isf is on its 5th generation now already.

and then again lexus said lfa was sold out in 2010... wait, ok, we aren't going there
well they said what i wrote :-)... it is not what lexus usually considers Full Model Change (FMC), however it has so many things changed that it is a LOT more than just an Minor Model Change MMC.

and honestly, if they change exterior, then completely revamp the interior with 12.3", remote touch and all the best stuff from gs + more, and update suspension..... what exactly would you call it?

for me MMC is what lexus always does... front/rear lights, new color, 3 interior pieces changed and new steering wheel :-).
spwolf is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 05:32 PM
  #238  
Hoovey2411
Moderator
iTrader: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 36,845
Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
I'm with Tee and you on this. I don't agree that you need to do a redesign for the sake of it. I find the current S-class, 7, LS to have aged greatly. They do not look old to me.

Again this might just be a last 2 year refresh ala the IS and Avalon to stretch things out a bit. They HAD to put the new face on their flagship car. It is quite possible before the new Spindle Grill that the LS would have went 2 more years without significant changes.

I hope the F-sport at least gets 400hp, I mean that is a 5% bump over the 380hp version.

PURE GUESS BELOW

Considering the LS already uses the same 5.0 V-8 in the LS 600h L and now the tranny and brakes from the IS F in the current "sport", maybe the LS F-sport will use the 5.0 V-8 from the IS F for 416hp.

I called it first.

edit-it would be LS 500 then..doh!
Post #7

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...460-sport.html
Hoovey2411 is online now  
Old 07-20-12, 05:35 PM
  #239  
rominl
exclusive matchup
iTrader: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 81,244
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
well they said what i wrote :-)... it is not what lexus usually considers Full Model Change (FMC), however it has so many things changed that it is a LOT more than just an Minor Model Change MMC.

and honestly, if they change exterior, then completely revamp the interior with 12.3", remote touch and all the best stuff from gs + more, and update suspension..... what exactly would you call it?

for me MMC is what lexus always does... front/rear lights, new color, 3 interior pieces changed and new steering wheel :-).
let me quote you here first so we can revisit in 10 days. at least from the image overlay, it seems like the side isn't changed much at all

and just like i said, if someone has to argue with changes then it can be called FMC, i am fine. what am i to lose in it. i am glad to see isf in its 5th generation
rominl is offline  
Old 07-20-12, 05:44 PM
  #240  
Carmaker1
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
Carmaker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 613
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rominl View Post
let me quote you here first so we can revisit in 10 days. at least from the image overlay, it seems like the side isn't changed much at all

and just like i said, if someone has to argue with changes then it can be called FMC, i am fine. what am i to lose in it. i am glad to see isf in its 5th generation
ISF? I thought the next IS would be in it's third generation or even 2nd generation.
Carmaker1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: