Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus LS Unveiling

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 01:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
On a different note, the grill on the LS looks very similar to the LF-LC concept.

Which will be F-sport only. The regular LS has the traditional horizontal slants grill. The CT, RX, GS all use dual grills depending on trim.

Old 07-20-12, 01:53 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'm looking forward to this...more and more as the days go by and information/speculation takes shape. Personally, I really enjoy the current LS: I think it's probably one of the best looking sedans on the road: clean and conservative, but handsome and subtly aggressive where it counts. I'm also a big fan of the spindle grille and Lexus' recent focus on driving dynamics. I am excited to see how Lexus will apply what they have learned with the new GS to the LS - more bold design, new technology and hopefully more performance in a flagship package.

Some have doubted the ability for a refreshed LS to compete against the new S Class and 7 series, but I think it will be just fine. With a new face and rear end, and updated interior, as well as a for-certain ad campaign claiming that it's "new", this car has a chance to make a splash. The general public probably won't know that it's not 100% new so if Lexus can create a convincing enough case and does a good job marketing the car, it will sell just fine. People know and trust the LS, but in recent years, the competition has been a little newer and sharper. A nip here and a tuck there should be enough to keep the car fresh and competitive for another 2 years.
I agree 100% and well said Mike! Man as we get closer the waiting is starting tug at me more as the days wind down to the debut.
Old 07-20-12, 02:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'm looking forward to this...more and more as the days go by and information/speculation takes shape. Personally, I really enjoy the current LS: I think it's probably one of the best looking sedans on the road: clean and conservative, but handsome and subtly aggressive where it counts. I'm also a big fan of the spindle grille and Lexus' recent focus on driving dynamics. I am excited to see how Lexus will apply what they have learned with the new GS to the LS - more bold design, new technology and hopefully more performance in a flagship package.

Some have doubted the ability for a refreshed LS to compete against the new S Class and 7 series, but I think it will be just fine. With a new face and rear end, and updated interior, as well as a for-certain ad campaign claiming that it's "new", this car has a chance to make a splash. The general public probably won't know that it's not 100% new so if Lexus can create a convincing enough case and does a good job marketing the car, it will sell just fine. People know and trust the LS, but in recent years, the competition has been a little newer and sharper. A nip here and a tuck there should be enough to keep the car fresh and competitive for another 2 years.
I'm with Tee and you on this. I don't agree that you need to do a redesign for the sake of it. I find the current S-class, 7, LS to have aged greatly. They do not look old to me.

Again this might just be a last 2 year refresh ala the IS and Avalon to stretch things out a bit. They HAD to put the new face on their flagship car. It is quite possible before the new Spindle Grill that the LS would have went 2 more years without significant changes.

I hope the F-sport at least gets 400hp, I mean that is a 5% bump over the 380hp version.

PURE GUESS BELOW

Considering the LS already uses the same 5.0 V-8 in the LS 600h L and now the tranny and brakes from the IS F in the current "sport", maybe the LS F-sport will use the 5.0 V-8 from the IS F for 416hp.

I called it first.

edit-it would be LS 500 then..doh!

Last edited by LexFather; 07-20-12 at 02:23 PM.

Old 07-20-12, 02:08 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping its a total redesign but if its just a face-lift thats ok too. MB isn't expected to launch its "new" S-Class until 2014 anyways. Also the current 7 Series was released in 2009. That means we shouldn't see a new 6th gen 7 Series until around 2015/16 at the earliest.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 07-20-12 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 02:22 PM
LexFather

Im an idiot...it would be called LS 500...thanks MP

Old 07-20-12, 03:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm with Tee and you on this. I don't agree that you need to do a redesign for the sake of it. I find the current S-class, 7, LS to have aged greatly. They do not look old to me.

Again this might just be a last 2 year refresh ala the IS and Avalon to stretch things out a bit. They HAD to put the new face on their flagship car. It is quite possible before the new Spindle Grill that the LS would have went 2 more years without significant changes.

I hope the F-sport at least gets 400hp, I mean that is a 5% bump over the 380hp version.

PURE GUESS BELOW

Considering the LS already uses the same 5.0 V-8 in the LS 600h L and now the tranny and brakes from the IS F in the current "sport", maybe the LS F-sport will use the 5.0 V-8 from the IS F for 416hp.

I called it first.

That's not going to happen.
Old 07-20-12, 03:31 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I'm hoping its a total redesign but if its just a face-lift thats ok too. MB isn't expected to launch its "new" S-Class until 2014 always. Also the current 7 Series was released in 2009. That means we shouldn't see a new 6th gen 7 Series until around 2015 at the earliest.
That is false, as the S-Class will go on sale earlier next year as a 2014. Lexus may sadly be looking to adapt to an 8 year model cycle, which just means we have to wait longer. The next 7-series is one model I look forward to as my mother is looking to upgrade her '11 760Li once the '13 model goes on sale. I did show her a render of the 2016 model and even though the G11 design hasn't been signed off on yet, she claims that she wouldn't buy it. An uncle of mine who isn't too internet savvy wants to know about the new LS from me, as he's deciding on whether to replace his wife's '08 LS460L or his '07 S500(NG-spec) first. I'm sure if I tell him about this LS "face-lift", he'll go for the new S-Class instead. The thing is that, with the exception of my immediate family, most of my relatives won't buy a face-lifted model. They only go for a next generation model, so I hope Lexus really did well with this.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 07-20-12 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
That is false, as the S-Class will go on sale earlier next year as a 2014. Lexus may sadly be looking to adapt to an 8 year model cycle, which just means we have to wait longer. The 7-series is one model I look forward to as my mother is looking to upgrade her '11 760Li once the '13 model goes on sale. An uncle of mine who isn't too internet savvy wants to know about the new LS from me, as he's deciding on whether to replace his wife's '08 LS460L or his '07 S500(NG-spec) first. I'm sure if I tell him about this LS "face-lift", he'll go for the new S-Class instead.
well from the spy pics, it is not like S-Class is getting dramatic makeover... heck, it seems to me that changes to LS might even be bigger... especially in the technology department.
Old 07-20-12, 03:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That's not going to happen.
Late again

Old 07-20-12, 03:53 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
well from the spy pics, it is not like S-Class is getting dramatic makeover... heck, it seems to me that changes to LS might even be bigger... especially in the technology department.
That sounds good. I always like the underdog to succeed and weirder thing is, I don't even drive a Lexus! I also wonder why certain technologies haven't spread across the Lexus L-finesse II range like APGS, when BMW has it in their 5-series.
Old 07-20-12, 04:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well what i heard is that while it is not classic TMC FMC, it is so far from MMC that it is FMC

:-)
so? they say all "new" ls too? whether it's true or not it depends on what you actually think it is. if someone says changing some and it's new generation, that's fine with me. isf is on its 5th generation now already.

and then again lexus said lfa was sold out in 2010... wait, ok, we aren't going there
Old 07-20-12, 04:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so? they say all "new" ls too? whether it's true or not it depends on what you actually think it is. if someone says changing some and it's new generation, that's fine with me. isf is on its 5th generation now already.

and then again lexus said lfa was sold out in 2010... wait, ok, we aren't going there
well they said what i wrote :-)... it is not what lexus usually considers Full Model Change (FMC), however it has so many things changed that it is a LOT more than just an Minor Model Change MMC.

and honestly, if they change exterior, then completely revamp the interior with 12.3", remote touch and all the best stuff from gs + more, and update suspension..... what exactly would you call it?

for me MMC is what lexus always does... front/rear lights, new color, 3 interior pieces changed and new steering wheel :-).
Old 07-20-12, 04:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

PURE GUESS BELOW

I called it first.

Post #7

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...460-sport.html
Old 07-20-12, 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well they said what i wrote :-)... it is not what lexus usually considers Full Model Change (FMC), however it has so many things changed that it is a LOT more than just an Minor Model Change MMC.

and honestly, if they change exterior, then completely revamp the interior with 12.3", remote touch and all the best stuff from gs + more, and update suspension..... what exactly would you call it?

for me MMC is what lexus always does... front/rear lights, new color, 3 interior pieces changed and new steering wheel :-).
let me quote you here first so we can revisit in 10 days. at least from the image overlay, it seems like the side isn't changed much at all

and just like i said, if someone has to argue with changes then it can be called FMC, i am fine. what am i to lose in it. i am glad to see isf in its 5th generation
Old 07-20-12, 04:44 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by rominl
let me quote you here first so we can revisit in 10 days. at least from the image overlay, it seems like the side isn't changed much at all

and just like i said, if someone has to argue with changes then it can be called FMC, i am fine. what am i to lose in it. i am glad to see isf in its 5th generation
ISF? I thought the next IS would be in it's third generation or even 2nd generation.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling