Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple adding a new button to your car, will activate Siri

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 07:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Apple adding a new button to your car, will activate Siri

Apple adding a new button to your car, will activate Siri

Apple's 2012 Worldwide Developer's Conference keynote is winding down as you read this, and while many car enthusiasts could care less about the next version of iOS or the MacBook Pro's new Retina Display, they will probably care about one piece of news just delivered by Apple's VP of iOS Software, Scott Forstall: Apple is going to add a new button to your car.

Called Eyes Free, it's basically just a steering wheel-mounted button that will activate Siri on the iPhone or iPad (yes, they announced Siri is coming to the new iPad, too) you have with you in the car. Likely paired over Bluetooth, Eyes Free will let you talk to Siri through the car, giving you access to a wealth of information without using both your eyes and hands (except for that initial button press). And since this is Apple, automakers are apparently lining up to add Siri buttons to their steering wheels. Apple reports that BMW, General Motors, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler and Honda are all signed up to start offering Eyes Free within the next 12 months.

We find it curious that GM has chosen to participate, considering that what Siri offers is not at all unlike what the automaker's subscription-based OnStar service provides. Conspicuously missing from the list of on-board automakers is Ford, whose Sync infotainment systems are all based on Microsoft-branded technology.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/11/a...activate-siri/
Old 06-11-12, 07:56 PM
Hoovey689

This is most excellent. This definitely needs to be a universal thing like bluetooth. Working with Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti, I can say although somewhat intuitive their infotainment and climate control systems could be so much simpler with the touch of a button and saying what you want. Instead of going through submenus and voice prompts.

Sad for Ford whose tied up with Microsoft, yuck
Old 06-11-12, 08:02 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wish, Google would with car companies also. Give people the choice if they have a Google phone or if they have a phone from Apple.
Old 06-12-12, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Default Apple gives Google Maps the boot, adds free turn-by-turn navigation to iPhone

Apple gives Google Maps the boot, adds free turn-by-turn navigation to iPhone

The big news in the tech world right now is the World Wide Developer's Conference which Apple just concluded. That's where the House that Jobs Built unveiled its latest operating systems for both computers and mobile devices, its latest laptop computer design and more. But what does this all have to do with cars, you ask? Plenty.

First off, Apple used the high-profile press conference extravaganza to announce the integration of its Siri voice service into cars, starting with nine automakers (among them the massive General Motors group) that will be putting a dedicated button on their steering wheels to allow drivers to activate the service on their iPhones and iPads without taking their hands off the wheel or their eyes off the road. But that's not all that's of relevance to motorists from WWDC 2012.

Apple has also announced the launch of its own Maps application, replacing the Google Maps utility it had begrudgingly integrated into its devices until now. Resulting from Apple's acquisition of several erstwhile independent digital cartography operations, Maps aims to improve on the popular Google service with such features as spoken turn-by-turn directions with real-time ETA, smooth-scrolling 3D imaging, aerial flyover views of city centers and important landmarks, Siri integration and real-time traffic information.

The latter is reportedly crowdsourced anonymously from other users, leaving us with some questions regarding privacy issues. But we'll leave that to the guys with the tin-foil hats while we blissfully revel in Big Brother's latest offering to the masses

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/12/a...-turn-navigat/
Old 06-12-12, 02:03 PM
JessePS

Thing is with Apple mapping, their navigation service is from TomTom or something.
Old 06-14-12, 09:57 AM
Hoovey689

Default Did Apple forget to tell automakers about the new Siri button?

Did Apple forget to tell automakers about the new Siri button?

Apple expects nine different carmakers to begin including a "Siri button" on their steering wheels within the next 12 months, the company announced this week.

Of course, the news came as a surprise to some of the carmakers, according to Business Insider.

After Apple announced plans to further integrate it's Siri voice recognition software to a button on the steering wheel, some carmakers said they were unaware of those plans.

Audi told Fast Company, which contacted all nine carmakers mentioned by Apple, that it was not sure if the project could be completed in a year. A Chrysler spokesman said the company did not have any plans to announce anything. Toyota was equally as vague: "(T)here are no particular applications planned at this time."

Building a Siri button certainly makes sense and, no doubt, will happen in the coming years. It's also smart business. Instead of an automaker spending money developing voice recognition software, let Apple do it and integrate that system into a vehicle. Already, carmakers have moved to integrate smartphones into cars, putting apps on phones onto center console screens and finding ways to piggyback services from a phone into the car. USB ports on a car are simply expected nowadays.

There might even be plans to create a "Siri button" that allows a driver to control his phone by voice without ever taking his hands off the steering wheel. But before that happens, someone at Apple might want to tell the automakers.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/14/d...w-siri-button/
Old 06-14-12, 04:22 PM
V8_MPG
Pole Position

So this feature is useless for someone who has an Android, WP, or Blackberry phone.
Old 06-14-12, 05:01 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by V8_MPG
So this feature is useless for someone who has an Android, WP, or Blackberry phone.
As it stands, yes. This announcement was made by Apple at their WW Developers Conference this week.
Old 06-14-12, 05:04 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

My brother 08 300C syncs with his iPhone and SIRI no problem, making an Apple button is kinda dumb, what about all the people who will never buy an iPhone
Old 06-14-12, 05:15 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I for one LOVE the concept of a "Siri button"' especially if you consider it will have far more capability than Lexus Apps with Enform on even 2013 current generation rides, and with its implementation would immediately allow things like updating ones personal calendar, checking on scores, and so mich more including immediate updates to your work or home Mac/PC and iPad of any changes you verbally ask Siri to make if you so desired. ...even perhaps allowing the phone to notify you through the car of appointments and reminders that would otherwise just appear on the phone in your pocket that you may not hear and perhaps a mapping replacement with iOS 6 coming out this Fall, should Lexus allow the iPhone display to show on the car's display. There is enormous possibilities beyond traditional "sync" with this single button.

Last edited by BertL; 06-14-12 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added clarity on possibilities and fixed spelling
Old 06-14-12, 05:54 PM
V8_MPG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
My brother 08 300C syncs with his iPhone and SIRI no problem, making an Apple button is kinda dumb, what about all the people who will never buy an iPhone
Yeah, same with my Pioneer AVIC-D3 which is sync via bluetooth to my Samsung Skyrocket. If I press voice on the D3, the voice command opens and starts listening to commands.
Old 06-15-12, 03:06 PM
LexFather

Simple they will drive everyday thinking "I wish I had an iPhone" when they press the button and nothing happens.

If 9 automakers signed up its probably not dumb

Old 06-15-12, 03:28 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really don't wanna go back to an iPhone, but if my next car had that feature I would probably just cave and get one anyways
Old 06-15-12, 06:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Simple they will drive everyday thinking "I wish I had an iPhone" when they press the button and nothing happens.

If 9 automakers signed up its probably not dumb
9 automakers are doing what makes them profit, its still dumb
Old 06-15-12, 06:33 PM
LexFather

9 automakers are doing what makes them profit, its still dumb
"it's dumb to me"

FIXED

Funny in the Infiniti thread u defend it saying people that aren't buying it are posting. And here u are doing the same **** to apple.

This place is a riot

Quick Reply: Apple adding a new button to your car, will activate Siri