Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM: worlds biggest bankrupt company. Signs of Trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 03:16 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
GM's Saturn division, in the 1990s, along with Lexus and Infiniti, had what was arguably the best customer-service in the industry. This isn't rocket-science.....all GM has to do is adopt the same customer-service rules its own Saturn Division had 20 years ago. But, in general, according to Consumer Reports, GMs' customer service has not been as low as Chrysler's.
Also with Saturn they were setting sales per dealer industry records! With most Saturn dealers selling 3 and 4 times the number of cars as a typical Chevy dealer. And GM not only couldn't figure out why this was, but viewed it as a threat and worked hard to dumb down the Saturn Customer Service experience and starved the upstart division of ANY new product.

I'm of two minds on the Bush 43 bailout of GM. On the one hand it was smart that he put in motion a plan that ultimately saved an industry and almost a million jobs, but on the other, GM's constant mismanagement and totally inept senior management deserved a lot worse than they got.

Last edited by 2008GSh; 05-23-12 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 08:57 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You guys should go to the actual article. This is not a reflection of the health of GM at all and speaks more to advertisers reaching thier limit on what they spend. GM wants to make better use of their money.
GM is the third largest Super Bowl advertisers, following Anheuser-Busch InBev ABI.BT +1.26%and PepsiCo Inc. PEP +0.29%and has shelled out about $82 million on Super Bowl ad time between 2002-2011

GM pulled out of the Super Bowl in 2009 amid the company's financial crisis and returned two years later under Mr. Ewanick to promote its Chevrolet brand.
What is setting off the alarm is that the last time GM pulled out of super bowl and cut ad spending they went bankrupt shortly after that. Now just 1 year after bankruptcy they are again pulling out of super bowl and cutting spending on ads ala Facebook.

To me that is a big red flag showing problems. I am pretty sure right now they are scrambling hard to cut spending and expenses to make the next quarter and fuzzing hard on the balance sheets so the ugly problem does not show it's rear end. But they can only keep the ugly under cover for so long....
Old 05-24-12, 01:13 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you are a GMC tech, I would assume that you work mostly on trucks and SUVs, not cars (with GMC trucks/SUVs, of course, being virtually identical mechanically to their Chevy-badged counterparts). Still, with the very latest-generation GM cars, like the Cruze, Verano, Sonic, etc... it's probably too early to gauge long-term reliability for them.....they have been on the road only a year or less. But there's little question that fit/finish, interiors, drivetrain flexibility, and vehicle-refinement are far superior on the latest ones.

The Buick Verano, especially, strikes me as having excellent build quality, especially compared to some of its own sister Buicks.....some of which, as you note, are not impressive at all. It's also a real pleasure to ride in and drive.
People have been saying the same thing since the 80's and it never turned out to be true. The cars still have issues holding up over time, and there is no reason to believe that this year is any different. It's a case of buyer-beware and a huge reason why retail customers won't buy GM products. Once ONE vehicle actually lives up to the BS over time, then maybe people will be less skeptical.

Combine that with the employee pricing program, which effectively destroys any potential resale value for retail customers, and it is a financial disaster to pay retail for a GM product, especially expensive ones that have more significant discounts. Not only does the car have questionable quality and reliability, but everyone else paid way less for it. How can a person paying retail expect to have a good experience with a car under those circumstances? It's nearly a guarantee that the car will have higher costs of ownership than comparable products. It's no mystery why GM can't get retail customers to buy their vehicles.
Old 05-30-12, 01:55 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Bankruptcy may be best option for Ally's (aka GMAC) mortgage unit
If the mortgage unit of loan giant Ally Financial files for bankruptcy this weekend as expected, there will be one immediate reason -- the company could default on $1bn of debt on Monday.

The filing, expected on Sunday night, will mark the latest chapter in the up-and-down history of Residential Capital (ResCap), a former profit engine which in recent years has turned into a dud for its parent company.

But it could also raise serious questions about Ally itself, formerly the financing unit of General Motors known as GMAC, with repercussions that could ripple into the US presidential race.

Ally has previously said a ResCap bankruptcy could cause it to lose between $400m and $1.25bn -- a hefty sum for a company that still owes the Treasury about $12bn in bailout funds.
If you are wondering who the heck is Ally Bank....well they are GMAC. Yes GM's finical division. After the government bailed out GM they also give GMAC $14 billion of our money to squander. With the bailout money they went ahead and changed their name from GMAC to Ally Bank.

Now all of that $14 billion has run dry they are out of money again so they are going to file for bankruptcy while still owing you and I around $12 billion dollars.

Think GM deserves your support? Think again because it's only a matter of time before they (GM) also files for yet another bankruptcy and walk away laughing along with our money.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84713Y20120508
Old 05-30-12, 03:47 PM
Trexus

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
[B]Think GM deserves your support? Think again because it's only a matter of time before they (GM) also files for yet another bankruptcy and walk away laughing along with our money.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84713Y20120508
That's a scary thought...
Old 05-30-12, 08:41 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I think SULU and a few others have already answered your questions. I just find it amazing how some people not necessary you tend to put a lot American car companies or business down. If Toyota and Honda packed up and left would we really miss them? In the end I guess what I’m saying is that I care more about my country and people losing their jobs than more so the cars GM make.
Ok, I not putting American car companies down, I am putting down "a" company that is being managed badly IMO. I love some of the American muscle cars and have owned some in the past. But, I don't see how continuing to bail them out when they need it will do anyone any good, especially the tax payers.
Old 05-31-12, 09:38 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like GM is just switching its focus to a bigger market:

General Motors Co. (GM), the carmaker that said it will stop advertising in the Super Bowl because it’s too expensive, is preparing to make a marketing announcement between its Chevrolet brand and Manchester United Ltd.’s soccer team.
The world’s largest automaker has invited reporters to an announcement by Chevrolet and Manchester United in Shanghai on the evening of May 31. Joel Ewanick, GM’s chief marketing officer, will subsequently hold a briefing at the company’s Detroit headquarters about a Chevrolet global sports marketing initiative. Patrick Morrissey, a GM spokesman, declined to provide details of the announcements before the events are held.
A sponsorship deal would allow GM to promote its Chevrolet brand through Manchester United, the record 19-time English soccer champion, which is traveling to China to play two exhibition matches during the off-season. The team has dropped its former automotive partner, Volkswagen AG (VOW)’s Audi brand, from its official website. The German carmaker agreed to a deal with European champion Chelsea earlier this month.
Manchester United’s 659 million followers makes it the world’s “most popular club,” according to a study carried out for the team by market research company Kantar last year, when the club won the Premier League. In the study, 54,000 people in 39 countries were asked which team -- or teams -- they followed.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ouncement.html
Old 06-01-12, 12:15 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

GM's looking to shed some pension obligations, considering the pension fund is underfunded to the tune of $25.4 billion now, YIKES!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ar?r=bloomberg

General Motors Co. (GM), the largest U.S. automaker, said it expects to cut its pension obligation by $26 billion by offering lump-sum payments to about 42,000 retirees and shifting its plans to a unit of Prudential Financial Inc. (PRU)

“These actions represent a major step toward our objective of de-risking our pension plans and will further strengthen our balance sheet and give us more financial flexibility,” Dan Ammann, GM’s chief financial officer, said today in a statement.

GM said the moves, which follow Ford Motor Co.’s announcement that it plans to offer lump-sum buyouts, will lead to special charges worth $2.5 billion to $3.5 billion in the second half. The Detroit-based company projects future pension income to be reduced by $200 million annually.

GM’s global pension plans were underfunded by $25.4 billion at the end of 2011, up from $22.2 billion at the end of 2010, according to federal filings. Analysts with credit-rating companies Moody’s Investors Service and Fitch Ratings have said they will evaluate how GM addresses that shortfall as they consider restoring an investment-grade credit rating.

Ford (F) also is offering lump-sum pension payments to about 98,000 U.S. salaried retirees and former employees. The voluntary program is aimed at lowering the company’s $74 billion global pension liability, which was underfunded by $15.4 billion at the end of last year. Ford has not said how much its program may reduce its pension obligation.
Old 06-01-12, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
People have been saying the same thing since the 80's and it never turned out to be true. The cars still have issues holding up over time, and there is no reason to believe that this year is any different. It's a case of buyer-beware and a huge reason why retail customers won't buy GM products. Once ONE vehicle actually lives up to the BS over time, then maybe people will be less skeptical.
I'm not saying that the brand-new Verano will necessarily have Honda/Toyota-like reliability for 200,000 miles....we obviously don't know that. And, believe me, I am well-aware of GM's (and Chrysler's) decades-long history of building junk....I owned some of those 80s-vintage lemons myself. I didn't switch primarily to Japanese-badged cars back then for nothing. But the Verano, like it or not, is a noticeable step-up in (initial) quality and fit/finish from many other GM vehicles....and, yes, other Buicks. Its overall body-structure, interior plastics/trim, drivetrain refinement despite the Ecotec four, and, especially sound-insulation, are all quite impressive.