Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford North America president Raj Nair fired over inappropriate behavior

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford North America president Raj Nair fired over inappropriate behavior

Ford NA Pres let go

In a statement released today, Ford announced that its president of North America, Raj Nair, has left the company after an internal investigation found behavior that was "inconsistent with the company's code of conduct."

The statement confirms that Nair was investigated for "inappropriate behavior," but beyond that we don't have any information as to what caused Nair's termination. Nair's departure comes after several high-profile business leaders have quit or been fired following accusations of sexual misconduct.

"We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration," said Ford Chief Executive Jim Hackett in a statement. "Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values."

Nair apologized, without elaborating.

"I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the company and I have always espoused," Nair said in Ford's statement.

A spokesman for No. 2 U.S. automaker said the company would not comment on the nature of Nair's behavior beyond what was in its official statement, which appears below.

No replacement has been announced. Nair had been in his position since June of 2017, and before that he was head of global product development and chief technical officer.

Information from Reuters was included in this report.RAJ NAIR, FORD'S PRESIDENT OF NORTH AMERICA, EXITS COMPANY

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 21, 2018 – Ford Motor Company today announced that Raj Nair, executive vice president and president, North America, is departing from Ford effective immediately.

The decision follows a recent internal investigation into reports of inappropriate behavior. The review determined certain behavior by Nair was inconsistent with the company's code of conduct.

"We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration," said Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett. "Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values."

Said Nair: "I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused. I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future."

Nair has been president of Ford North America since June 1, 2017. Prior to that, he served as Ford's head of global product development and chief technical officer. Nair's replacement will be subject to an announcement in the near future.
Source

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-23-18 at 01:45 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-22-18, 01:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ford CEO let go
Looks like he was NA Pres and not ceo?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-22-18 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford's North American President loses his job.

The rather short article, from Ford's own media department, doesn't specifically say why Mr. Nair was ousted, but I'm sure there will be plenty of speculation. I've got my own suspicions....but also want to see what some of the rest of you think.

Although it doesn't necessarily affect the company's policies of today (as opposed to 30-40 years ago)...Mr. Nair, IMO, could not possibly have done more damage to the corporation than King Henry Ford II's long and stubborn dictatorship/fiefdom did over several decades, until his retirement in the 1980s....without ever having to answer for it. Lee Iacocca discusses much of that in his book, for those of you who have read it.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...s-company.html

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 21, 2018 – Ford Motor Company today announced that Raj Nair, executive vice president and president, North America, is departing from Ford effective immediately.

The decision follows a recent internal investigation into reports of inappropriate behavior. The review determined certain behavior by Nair was inconsistent with the company’s code of conduct.

“We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration,” said Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett. “Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values.”

Said Nair: “I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused. I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future.”

Nair has been president of Ford North America since June 1, 2017. Prior to that, he served as Ford’s head of global product development and chief technical officer.

Nair’s replacement will be subject to an announcement in the near future.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-22-18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 07:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although it doesn't necessarily affect the company's policies of today (as opposed to 30-40 years ago)...Mr. Nair, IMO, could not possibly have done more damage to the corporation than King Henry Ford II's long and stubborn dictatorship/fiefdom did over several decades, until his retirement in the 1980s....without ever having to answer for it. Lee Iacocca discusses much of that in his book, for those of you who have read it.
You cannot compare Raj Nair to Henry Ford II. It does not matter how bad you or Lee Iacocca believe Henry Ford II was. That damage was done 40 years ago and any problems would have been corrected by now.

Raj Nair's bad behaviour -- whatever it was -- happened very recently, and the damage is still fresh and not yet repaired. And in the current atmosphere of #MeToo, it has to be seen by the world that Mr. Nair's employer takes the charges seriously, or Ford risks losing reputation as a conscientious, principled and caring international organisation.

This is as much a PR move as it is damage control and correction.
Old 02-22-18, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
You cannot compare Raj Nair to Henry Ford II. It does not matter how bad you or Lee Iacocca believe Henry Ford II was. That damage was done 40 years ago and any problems would have been corrected by now.
Agreed. My point was, however, that Nair has to answer for his actions. King Henry never did.
Old 02-23-18, 01:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Looks like he was NA Pres and not ceo?
Apologies, I’ll edit when I can sometime later today hopefully. Good catch
Old 02-27-18, 07:46 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

So this guy gets tossed for doing something wrong.

Check out how the New GT folks are kissing his blank.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...4583-Thank-You

I have a huge amount of respect for the new GT and the program Ford put in place to create it but really, the guy was a problem. Be honest and let him know it, don't kiss his feet and other parts.

Plus these folks don't seem to get this is a Canadian car, built by highly skilled Canadian craftspeople.
Old 02-28-18, 11:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
So this guy gets tossed for doing something wrong.

Check out how the New GT folks are kissing his blank.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...4583-Thank-You

I have a huge amount of respect for the new GT and the program Ford put in place to create it but really, the guy was a problem. Be honest and let him know it, don't kiss his feet and other parts.
i guess they love their GT's more than dislike or care about what he did wrong.

Plus these folks don't seem to get this is a Canadian car, built by highly skilled Canadian craftspeople.
close enough. but seriously, sounds like this guy was very involved in making it happen and as usual, i couldn't care less where it's built.

edit: oh and it's not even built by ford at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimatic
Old 02-28-18, 11:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Lemme ask you guys something, do you shop at the home depot today? Did you when the ceo was forced out? Did you boycott chrysler? Do you drink coke? How about this, do you dump your stock based on corporate policy and behavior? Because I'll tell you I have stock in some pretty shady American cos., old ones, one was founded in 1892, another is run by someone I despise, can't stand the ceo his initials are JD and he runs one of the largest banks in the nation but I purchased his co. and some others during Brexit. What I care about most, is, location, the product, taste, and return on investment.

What this guy did, or didn't do, has no bearing on whether I would buy a new Lincoln Navigator, or not.
Old 02-28-18, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

as usual, i couldn't care less where it's built.
I used to think that way (even here on Car Chat)...and the cold, intellectual part of me still does. But my warmer, human, more compassionate side now tends to think that, even though at one time American plants from the Big Three once turned out unacceptable junk (even that was a understatement LOL), those days are long-gone, and, as Americans, we owe it to the country's economy and auto-workers, UAW or not, to buy vehicles built in American plants and help support our fellow workers. Like it or not, they have bills to pay every month, kids to support, and they themselves should be able to afford to buy some of the very new vehicles they work so hard in the plants to build.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-28-18 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
as Americans, we owe it to the country's economy and auto-workers, UAW or not, to buy vehicles built in American plants and help support our fellow workers.
we don't owe it to them. will they be helping take care of us or help us pay our bills? i think not.

we certainly didn't owe it to them when they contemptuously and sloppily built vast quantities of horrible unreliable cars for decades.

but hey, if they build well designed reliable vehicles i'm in. in fact, i am in despite what jd powers and cr say.
Old 02-28-18, 12:26 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

we don't owe it to them. will they be helping take care of us or help us pay our bills? i think not.

we certainly didn't owe it to them when they contemptuously and sloppily built vast quantities of horrible unreliable cars for decades.

but hey, if they build well designed reliable vehicles i'm in. in fact, i am in despite what jd powers and cr say.
It's an interesting perspective. There is a massive UPS facility near us, and it's pretty interesting to see what cars are in the parking lot, esp. given there are teamsters that park there. If one believes for one second, that the majority of vehicles are made in USA....hah! As one's income rises, imho there is a tendency to purchase imports...
Old 02-28-18, 01:31 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am a fan of ethics so I try to avoid investments that smell too bad or have management with interesting character flaws

The Canadian thing is all about credit where it is due.

The rah rah folks are going on about USA and their car is made in Canada by hopefully non Union folks. It literally isn't an American made car
Old 02-28-18, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, they pay also taxes into Social Security, Medicare, food stamps, home-subsidies, and all of the other social-welfare programs that we have today.

Not only that, but consider that if you drive a vehicle made in one of their plants, your life may may be riding on the line every time you start up and drive off. If a wheel falls off at 70 MPH, for example (particularly up front) or a steering-shaft breaks....that could ruin your whole day.

At that time, correct......no we didn't.. And, in fact, in the 1980s, millions of people did dump American brands for the Japanese (and Yours Truly was one of them).

But, in this thread, we're not talking about the past. We're talking about today . As I made clear in my post, gone are the days of the Citation, Volare, Vega, etc.... Today, American plants turn out vehicles (even with American design) that are all at least reasonably-well-built. And, in general, today, American auto workers are not overpaid, alcoholic, drug-addicted, lazy, unskilled, unprincipled, or sabotaging the assembly lines, like many of them were decades ago. Companies, today, simply don't put up with that any more......and managers are also called to account, as the very topic of this thread shows.

Your own Jeep Grand Cherokee was probably built at the North Jefferson Plant in Detroit (most American-market JGCs are). That plant, BTW, is only a few miles from the big GM Detroit-Hamtramck-plant where my Lacrosse (and several other large GM sedans) was built.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-28-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 06:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raj Nair's undoing came from an anonymous tip that prompted Ford's own internal investigation. At that point Ford's tall foreheads decided it wasn't worth fighting whatever the allegations were and that it was better to cut him loose. When you have a liability as a multi-national corp with a high profile executive, you jettison the baggage and its future liabilities. There is absolutely some sort back channel dealing going on to make it doesn't see the light of day.

Quick Reply: Ford North America president Raj Nair fired over inappropriate behavior