Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how come no props to trend setters from Audi and BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 11:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Germans invented, Japanese perfected.
I have been saying this for decades. The Germans create the technology and the Japanese make it reliable
Old 04-09-12, 01:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
1, remember how people laughed their butt off with the then new 7 series debuted 10 years ago? you know what, that 7 series began the trend of the double layered dashboard with navi screen on the upper layer. until then almost all navi screens are embedded in the center console. but now MB, Lexus, Audi all have followed. (the exterior of that 7 series is another story, not a part of this discussion )

2, Audi A4 started the LED DRLs when they lauched the B8 A4s. raise your hands, how many of you at the time thought it was tacky? but now from Porsche, Lexus all the way to Kia, many auto brands have adapted this neat feature.

i just think it's time to give props to these two genius trend setters.
Fair points, except you're forgetting that more than enough props have been given all over the place for BMW setting styling trends with Bangle, and Audi setting an LED trend. You can't expect constant props for the same over and over on these forums. This isn't a BMW or Audi forum, but even many here have given enough props.

Secondly, how come no props to trend setter Lexus for doing some world firsts? Everyone loves to talk about Audi setting the LED trend, but they only set the LED DRL trend, nothing more. Lexus was the first car brand in the world to use factory-installed full LED headlamps on a production car, starting with the 2007 LS 600h/hL. So Lexus started the full LED headlamp trend, and Audi started the LED DRL trend. Just giving credit where it's due, and while Audi has received enough credit for their trend, Lexus deserves credit too for its trend.
Old 04-09-12, 02:18 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Audi's Led strips have save the company as a whole, because everyone around me would not even consider an Audi..

And honestly they look the same as 5 years ago, but with just an LED strip..

But I do give them props, especially for the A5 nice and clean
Old 04-09-12, 02:32 PM
seanlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
1, remember how people laughed their butt off with the then new 7 series debuted 10 years ago? you know what, that 7 series began the trend of the double layered dashboard with navi screen on the upper layer. until then almost all navi screens are embedded in the center console. but now MB, Lexus, Audi all have followed. (the exterior of that 7 series is another story, not a part of this discussion )

2, Audi A4 started the LED DRLs when they lauched the B8 A4s. raise your hands, how many of you at the time thought it was tacky? but now from Porsche, Lexus all the way to Kia, many auto brands have adapted this neat feature.

i just think it's time to give props to these two genius trend setters.
when i saw that 7 series, the Bangle trunk design just hit me. i know the style is subjective, but i think the nothing on the road looks more interesting and it really showed the way forward (it actually look like a space ship with alien technologies in a way). apparently most of folks agreed with me since that was the most popular 7 series in BMW's history.
Old 04-09-12, 02:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
The way the LEDs would turn off when the turning signal was on was also idiotic looking.
OH MY GOD! Thank you--I thought I was the only one who noticed this--I HATE IT.
Old 04-09-12, 09:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Fair points, except you're forgetting that more than enough props have been given all over the place for BMW setting styling trends with Bangle, and Audi setting an LED trend. You can't expect constant props for the same over and over on these forums. This isn't a BMW or Audi forum, but even many here have given enough props.

Secondly, how come no props to trend setter Lexus for doing some world firsts? Everyone loves to talk about Audi setting the LED trend, but they only set the LED DRL trend, nothing more. Lexus was the first car brand in the world to use factory-installed full LED headlamps on a production car, starting with the 2007 LS 600h/hL. So Lexus started the full LED headlamp trend, and Audi started the LED DRL trend. Just giving credit where it's due, and while Audi has received enough credit for their trend, Lexus deserves credit too for its trend.
Yeah I don't get it. Audi has gotten its props for LED's and BMW/Benz/Lexus/Porsche/Kia etc etc use it. Lexus debuted the LED headlights first and there wasn't a peep said about it.

Lexus also debuted LED lights for the interior and license plate that other brands now use or every person is modding their cars with if they don't come with them. Where is that thread?

There have been TONS and I mean TONS of commentary on how influential Bangle/BMW was/is with design. There has been tons of commentary on how the new GS and CT follow a German theme inside. No one is denying it.

I honestly can't believe people fed into this thread here.

Old 04-09-12, 11:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus debuted the LED headlights first and there wasn't a peep said about it.
I'm sure there were people who praised the technology. I've always thought they were not as popular or heavily embraced because the LED output was subpar compared to the LS460's HID system. I think people were expecting LEDs to blow away HID but were turned off when they found out otherwise.
Old 04-09-12, 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

i hope you actually realize their led headlights on the 600hl performed pretty badly compared to hid?

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm sure there were people who praised the technology. I've always thought they were not as popular or heavily embraced because the LED output was subpar compared to the LS460's HID system. I think people were expecting LEDs to blow away HID but were turned off when they found out otherwise.
yup, this is the truth. a lot of 600hl aren't happy with their headlights at all and prefer the standard hid if they had a choice. led headlights are cool idea, but the ones on the ls600hl, while being first, fell short on functionality

Last edited by rominl; 04-09-12 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

regarding the 7 series, here's what i think. when bmw released the e65/66, bangle already said "this is a car of the future". well, i think he's right, as stated a lot of cars now are somewhat having the layout / design / style (both interior and exterior) from that 7 series.

however, at the time it wasn't something for the public and pretty much everyone thought it's ugly. so to me? if it's for the future, leave that to the future. yes, i have warmed up to the e65/66, but it's not until years after.

i probably care more about what's nice NOW. i will worry about what i like 10 years from now, well, when it's 10 years from now
Old 04-09-12, 11:59 PM
IceIridium
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the move towards LED DRL was accelerated by some European law requiring that all DRL's on new cars sold has to be LED by a certain date? Forgot where I read that but pretty sure that's true.

That's why you see factory LED DRL on cars such as the new Toyota Aygo sold in Europe.

So assuming that's correct, Audi might have been the first to implement the technology in their production cars (and doing so very stylishly), the fact that other manufacturers from Lexus to Kia have also started using it is not a result of "copying Audi" but just complying with the law, some starting sooner than others. The fact we see them in North America is just the trickle-down effect from that.
Old 04-10-12, 12:26 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

1) BMW didn't get attention for a tiered dash in the 7-series. They got attention and heat for a screwed up i-Drive and funky Bangle styling. That was the talk of that car. I don't remember anyone commenting about its dashboard appearance.

2) Many people loved Audi's LED's when they debuted. Most comments in articles and blogs were "those are cool!" What I'll admit could have been improved was the individual bulb appearance. Thankfully, most facelifts and redesigns are changing them over to light tubes instead.
As far as the strange winking feature, that can easily be disabled with a Vagcom. Many owners have eliminated it.

While on the topic of little inventions from the past, one has to give props to Lexus for spreading and making standard LED license plate lights. If you are a lighting freak like me, it's features like that which draws me to the brand.
Old 04-10-12, 07:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

imo, this thread title question isn't objectively valid. i believe audi and bmw get tons of props as do lexus and others when due. some will always feel upset that their favorite brand didn't get treated as they think it should or another brand got more praise or less criticism than it should.
Old 04-10-12, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IceIridium
I thought the move towards LED DRL was accelerated by some European law requiring that all DRL's on new cars sold has to be LED by a certain date? Forgot where I read that but pretty sure that's true.

That's why you see factory LED DRL on cars such as the new Toyota Aygo sold in Europe.

So assuming that's correct, Audi might have been the first to implement the technology in their production cars (and doing so very stylishly), the fact that other manufacturers from Lexus to Kia have also started using it is not a result of "copying Audi" but just complying with the law, some starting sooner than others. The fact we see them in North America is just the trickle-down effect from that.
This is correct but to Audi's credit they moved fast and in a hurry to implement them.

Old 04-10-12, 09:23 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
imo, this thread title question isn't objectively valid. i believe audi and bmw get tons of props as do lexus and others when due. some will always feel upset that their favorite brand didn't get treated as they think it should or another brand got more praise or less criticism than it should.
that's how I feel about Ford. Chevy always gets the glory
Old 04-10-12, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
1) BMW didn't get attention for a tiered dash in the 7-series. They got attention and heat for a screwed up i-Drive and funky Bangle styling. That was the talk of that car. I don't remember anyone commenting about its dashboard appearance.
oh i remember very well. a lot of people were saying wtf about the interior design as well as the exterior.

of course, the idrive was just umm... brilliant