Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how come no props to trend setters from Audi and BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 11:20 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default how come no props to trend setters from Audi and BMW?

1, remember how people laughed their butt off with the then new 7 series debuted 10 years ago? you know what, that 7 series began the trend of the double layered dashboard with navi screen on the upper layer. until then almost all navi screens are embedded in the center console. but now MB, Lexus, Audi all have followed. (the exterior of that 7 series is another story, not a part of this discussion )

2, Audi A4 started the LED DRLs when they lauched the B8 A4s. raise your hands, how many of you at the time thought it was tacky? but now from Porsche, Lexus all the way to Kia, many auto brands have adapted this neat feature.

i just think it's time to give props to these two genius trend setters.
Old 04-07-12, 11:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

good points.
Old 04-07-12, 11:37 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

from the beginning, I thought the A4s LEDs were cool and I wanted them on my cars from the start. Its about bloody time Lexus started including these. I give credit to audi

I dont remember what the old dash of the bmw 7 looked like, but I am sure it wasnt really pleasing to the eye as was the exterior. I guess we could give credit for the general layout on having horizontal lines and the nav high up, but on the latter point, it is a safety issue rather than anything else.

All of these trends are actually safety progressions in the industry
Old 04-07-12, 11:56 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hated Audi LEDs from the get go. The way the LEDs would turn off when the turning signal was on was also idiotic looking. The way they were implemented, with several discreet points of illumination instead of a continuous line of illuminatuion, I thought looked tacky. To each their own. I would rather have a solid bar of light such as from a CCFL tube than the multiple points of light that most LED systems have. Obviously I was in the minority, its still a trend I despise. Newer LED systems have more LEDs spaced closer together giving the illusion of a more continuous bar, but I still don't like them.

The large Nav screen on the upper level of the dash as in the 7 was a nice feature that I'm glad has been adopted by others. I don't think people laughing at the 7 back then was for the interior (aside from the interface design) it was more for the ugly bangle exterior, which was whole heartedly deserved, IMO.
Old 04-07-12, 12:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

BMW certainly started the two tier dash, but I think starting with the 2010 RX, 2013 GS etc.. Lexus has perfected the ergonomics of the layout. Everything from the navi, speedo, controls, remote touch (flows naturally where the arm rests). its all about line of sight (to add to RXSF's safety progression)
Old 04-07-12, 12:04 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by T0ked
I hated Audi LEDs from the get go. The way the LEDs would turn off when the turning signal was on was also idiotic looking. The way they were implemented, with several discreet points of illumination instead of a continuous line of illuminatuion, I thought looked tacky. To each their own. I would rather have a solid bar of light such as from a CCFL tube than the multiple points of light that most LED systems have. Obviously I was in the minority, its still a trend I despise. Newer LED systems have more LEDs spaced closer together giving the illusion of a more continuous bar, but I still don't like them.

The large Nav screen on the upper level of the dash as in the 7 was a nice feature that I'm glad has been adopted by others. I don't think people laughing at the 7 back then was for the interior (aside from the interface design) it was more for the ugly bangle exterior, which was whole heartedly deserved, IMO.
I praise Lexus for Intuitive controls. Something the 2003 7 Series lacked

I remember getting into one and looking around going lol. There are 4 stalks off the steering wheel (2 hidden behind the horns) 2 somewhat visible in picture. 1 is the gear selector

Old 04-07-12, 12:08 PM
RBnSD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't care for the Lexus version LED DRL's. It looks like to much of an after-thought design since it was a hit with Audi.
Old 04-07-12, 12:32 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RBnSD
I still don't care for the Lexus version LED DRL's. It looks like to much of an after-thought design since it was a hit with Audi.
the LED's on the IS were actually designed to mirror the Lexus logo (to a point) as L's. I personally still think they look like Nike swoosh's lol

Old 04-07-12, 12:48 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus really pushed ergonomics. I remember BMW and MB interiors littered with a million tiny identically shaped buttons. When Lexus came out, the ergonomics was light years ahead of its German rivals.
Old 04-07-12, 12:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Germans invented, Japanese perfected.
Old 04-07-12, 02:20 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
from the beginning, I thought the A4s LEDs were cool and I wanted them on my cars from the start. Its about bloody time Lexus started including these. I give credit to audi
+1 love the LEDs from the get-go, to the point it's a must for me on future cars. i'm glad lexus is using them now. props to audi indeed.
Old 04-08-12, 09:13 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

2003 7 series is still butt ugly and I think LED lights make everything tacky. No props to BMW and Audi.
Old 04-08-12, 01:08 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Props to BMW. Regarding Audi, I don't find LEDs to be 100% Audi's invention though. I think Audi took BMW angel eyes idea and made it slightly different
Old 04-08-12, 10:52 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T0ked
I hated Audi LEDs from the get go. The way the LEDs would turn off when the turning signal was on was also idiotic looking.
You are right about this.........with the exception probably of the A7 family wherein the LED DRL are a separate light strip that is different from the turn signal lights in the headlamp housing.
Old 04-08-12, 11:23 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Good point there

Quick Reply: how come no props to trend setters from Audi and BMW?