Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus RX450H: Now the Best-Selling Hybrid Luxury Vehicle in America

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 02:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I can see how they would be more dangerous to pedestrians and it has nothing to do with their weight. I have used 'creeper mode" as my son calls it (EV mode which is batteries only) to creep up on my friends who were having a few beers in the parking lot after a hockey game. I am sure I could have hit 5 or six before they knew I was there.
you could also get a shot gun and get than few before they get you

:-)
Old 01-27-12, 04:42 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well there were 10 replies, but anyway... i now see (lol'ing) they're safer because they're 10% heavier (batteries) and thus act as a better battering ram in a collision.
Whatever the reasons are, my insurance on the RX450 is cheaper than my previous gen RX350, and get this, it's also cheaper to insure than an 2010 Vibe. They called it Green Vehicle Discount. All this without multicars discount and an driving violation record (the wife's).
Old 01-27-12, 06:22 AM
BertL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree there can be lots of debate on the subject, but I also have never let just the immediate ROI mathematics be my only decision point when it comes to my ride. I'm no millionaire and can't throw big bucks away, but as has been mentioned, other subjective points enter at least my decision processes -- e.g. I'm just one person and have a small individual impact in the bigger scheme of things, but I like the fact I use a little less dino oil compared to some others on the road, help promote less dependence on those foreign oil fields and put less crap into our environment. I'm willing to pay some amount for that -- what that exact number is, I couldn't say. My 2006 RX400h was (and is) a great decision for me for so many reasons. I have never regretted it. ...and while I was pretty sure I'd have only a hybrid to replace it, did seriously look at other vehicles such as Prius v and even a RAV4 and Escape before putting my order in for my 2012 RX450h -- size, amenities and Lexus service were the key reasons I stayed with the RXh. I know that was the right decision for me regardless of the pure financial ROI.
Old 01-27-12, 09:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have always thought the Highlander Hybrid makes a much better buy than the RX in either gas or hybrid form, more vehicle in the Highlander than the RX for less $$$. Kinda like how the Avalon is a better purchase than the RX.

With the above all side, the RX is a good a what it does, providing luxury for those who want it.

The thing about the RXh and why it does work is that it provides you with technology, status, and prestige which is what luxury is supposed to be about right now. You can have all your cushy rides etc, but 2012 luxury is about technology and the RXh stacks up well if that is what you are looking for.
Old 01-27-12, 10:04 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always thought the Highlander Hybrid makes a much better buy than the RX in either gas or hybrid form, more vehicle in the Highlander than the RX for less $$$. Kinda like how the Avalon is a better purchase than the RX.
When I priced out a Highlander Hybrid with all the toys here it came to 60K. I bought the 450 for about 8K more and got Rear Seat Entertainment, Heads Up Display, Heated/Vented seats, Radar cruise, Park assist etc and more that were not even available on the Highlander and the Lexus feels soooo much more luxurious, solid and comfortable. At the lower prices your statement may be true but wasnt at the high end.
Old 01-27-12, 10:26 AM
LexFather

FYI the Highlander seats 7, gets 28MPG average and is AWD only (no FWD option)
RXh gets 29 MPG average as a 5 seater with AWD
RXh gets 30 MPG average as a 5 seater with FWD

It takes ten seconds to realize the two vehicles are entirely different inside and out and also drive differently. Yes they are both hybrids but I don't see the Highlander as more of a value since it can't begin to offer what the RXh does.

Apples to Oranges

Old 01-27-12, 11:37 AM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

We have had this discussion before about the highlander hybrid and the RXh. Like SpyWolf said in the 2013 LX thread, toyota has to make their toyota brothers purposely worse than the Lexus brother.

Does it not bother people that Toyota purposely made the highlander with less horsepower and less mpg so that it doesnt stack up as well as the RXh?
Old 01-27-12, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
When I priced out a Highlander Hybrid with all the toys here it came to 60K. I bought the 450 for about 8K more and got Rear Seat Entertainment, Heads Up Display, Heated/Vented seats, Radar cruise, Park assist etc and more that were not even available on the Highlander and the Lexus feels soooo much more luxurious, solid and comfortable. At the lower prices your statement may be true but wasnt at the high end.
For $8K, you are only really getting more tech and less function. $68k is a ton of money and I never knew the RXh maxxed out so high. It is a shame adaptive variable suspension is not available on the RXh.

I have no problem with the RXh as a luxo hybrid suv, but for something with fuction, and more SUV use the Highlander is the better buy. I also think the ergonomics of the Highlander are superior while the design of the interior in the RXh is more luxo.
Old 01-27-12, 12:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For $8K, you are only really getting more tech and less function. $68k is a ton of money and I never knew the RXh maxxed out so high. It is a shame adaptive variable suspension is not available on the RXh.

I have no problem with the RXh as a luxo hybrid suv, but for something with fuction, and more SUV use the Highlander is the better buy. I also think the ergonomics of the Highlander are superior while the design of the interior in the RXh is more luxo.
He's in Canada

Old 01-31-12, 11:13 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

When I decided to buy my RXh, gas mileage is the last factors. I want it because of the technologies, the silence mode at the red lights, the exclusive-ness, the LED headlight. Overall, I buy it because of the coolness. It is NOT sensible to buy a Lexus as mean of transportation but it's life. if we can make it, we can spend it (reasonable though).

Don't laugh at me since I have a twin now.