Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus RX450H: Now the Best-Selling Hybrid Luxury Vehicle in America

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus RX450H: Now the Best-Selling Hybrid Luxury Vehicle in America

Doesn't surprise me. It's hard to beat the RX for a combination of luxury, quality, versatility, refinement, and all-weather traction. Here's AOL's take on it. It also includes a video...you have to click through to get it.:

http://autos.aol.com/photos/2012-lex...6pLid%3D129748

The Lexus RX was one of the first car-based luxury SUVs and has continued to be one of the most popular crossovers in America. Introduced for the 2010 model year, the RX 450h is the hybrid version of the CUV, designed to achieve great fuel economy without sacrificing any part of its luxury DNA.

I drove the Lexus RX 450h in and around Los Angeles for a week. Is it a viable option for consumers looking to combine fuel economy and luxury features? Click through to find out.

What We Like

Michael: The theme of the RX 450h seems to be convenience and ease. While that may not sit well with drivers who prefer a more intense driving experience (see next slide), that philosophy makes the RX 450h perhaps the ultimate commuter vehicle. Great fuel economy, a comfortable interior, a solid infotainment center with spot-on real-time traffic updates and available adaptive cruise control combine to form a car that all but eliminates the stresses of driving. Seriously, I flipped on the heated seats (yes, in LA) and premium sound system and I couldn't even get mad at traffic on I-405.

Autoblog: The RX450h strives to offer as much comfort as possible, so it's packed with luxury touches like side mirror glass that rotate downward when you put it into reverse for curb-finding and friendly interior lights that come on when you approach the car with the wireless key fob in the dark (neither of which is a new feature, but very convenient). The lights remind you that this car wants you to feel at ease. Quite a bit poorer in the wallet, but at ease nonetheless

What We Don't Like

Michael: While the hybrid powertrain undoubtedly gives drivers a huge boost in fuel economy, it comes at a pretty significant price. And I'm not just talking about the $5,000 it adds to the sticker. The hybrid power-train adds significantly to the CUV's curb weight, making it sluggish off the line and giving it a very heavy feeling when cornering. Factor in a cushy suspension and you're gaining fuel economy, but sacrificing any shred of inspired driving experience with this vehicle. (Just an aside note.......unlike these guys, I happen to like a cushy suspension.........MM)

Autoblog: The green driving gauge isn't nearly as easy to use as similar displays in the Prius or the Ford Fusion Hybrid, but does provide a way to tell if you're charging the batteries from the brakes or pushing down on the gas pedal enough to enter the "Power" zone. We avoided this zone as much as possible – it means you're accelerating quickly – in our effort to get a decent mpg result.

Bottom Line

As a general rule, I'm not a huge fan of hybrids because of their poor driving dynamics. But, I have to admit that I enjoyed being in the RX 450h. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it is one of the best hybrids I have ever driven. Sure, it's no Mazda CX-5 -- a truly great driving CUV – but what the RX 450h lacks in fun, it more than makes up for in comfort and ease of use.

Should you buy the RX 450h if you're looking for a luxury crossover? Absolutely. But first, ask yourself if it's worth the extra cost (in dollars and driving experience) to have that hybrid drivetrain. If not, check out the RX 350.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-12 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 09:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not much competition,though.
Still a nice vehicle.
Old 01-24-12, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Not much competition,though.
Still a nice vehicle.
I think, though, that they are comparing it to all hybrid hehicles with luxury-nameplates on them, not just SUVs. That, of course (at least technically), would include its own brother Lexus GS/LS/HS/CT hyrids and competing hybrids from Cadillac and Lincoln.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 10:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think, though, that they are comparing it to all hybrid hehicles with luxury-nameplates on them, not just SUVs. That, of course (at least technically), would include its own brother Lexus GS/ LS HS/CT hyrids and competing hybrids from Cadillac and Lincoln.
Oh,I see.
Old 01-24-12, 10:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The hybrid power-train adds significantly to the CUV's curb weight, making it sluggish off the line and giving it a very heavy feeling when cornering. ...
i recently test drove an rx450h (it was a 2010 was only 22k mi. on it, so 'lightly used') and didn't want to post negative feedback here on a lexus forum but since this has now been brought up, i will comment on it.

the rx450h felt REALLY sluggish off the line. granted, i drive a V8-powered explorer, which is basically instantly responsive so you might say i'm 'spoiled' but really, the rx450h required a MASHING of the gas pedal to accelerate at anything more than a yugo speed and even then it wasn't that great. not only not speedy, it was NOISY when pushed. unless basically coasting, the vehicle was noisier than my 2006 explorer in all cases. on a brighter note, i felt it cornered well, pretty flat.

this particularly rx wasn't loaded up, although it had nav (screen looked like windows 3.1 IMO ), heated/cooled seats (v. nice! ) so i didn't get to try some of the features i wanted to see like adaptive cruise or ML stereo (i felt the basic 'premium?' stereo was as dreadful as the one on the 1998 RX i had years ago). and what's with the ipod/aux inputs being buried beneath a rube goldberg contraption of boxes inside boxes in the center!? finally, i HATED the mouse controller interface.

the car is attractive (for a CUV), certainly well built, and has a lot of nice features. but overall i was disappointed and concluded it wasn't for me.
Old 01-24-12, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i recently test drove an rx450h (it was a 2010 was only 22k mi. on it, so 'lightly used') and didn't want to post negative feedback here on a lexus forum but since this has now been brought up, i will comment on it.
Thanks for the input, Paul. That, though, wasn't my own MM-comment, but that of the AOL tester. I only posted what they themselves said about the the 450H, although I did a review myself a few years ago.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
on a brighter note, i felt it cornered well, pretty flat.
Agreed. Though not harsh, I didn't think the suspension is quite as cushy as the impression they gave. On most of today's vehicles, IMO, it is hard to find a suspension/tires that I, myself, would call cushy. Auto manufacturers, today, worship at the altar of sportiness rather than ride-comfort.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-12 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 11:11 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I love my RXh. Its everything I love about the RX (I have owned the two previous generations) in a package that gets me good gas mileage.

funny thing is that there is a thread in the 3RX forum about how sluggish the car is off the line, but it must have been the eco mode for that other owner and for you Bit. I also agree the CVT is quite loud when pushed hard
Old 01-24-12, 11:27 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much competition. Most hybrids on the road are by Toyota and it isn't looking to change much in the coming years.
Old 01-24-12, 12:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i estimate that Toyota is going to sell well over 1,000,000 hybrids in 2012 :-)
Old 01-24-12, 02:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a red one as a loaner last month and I thought it was pretty cool. The RX still feels a bit harsh in the suspension. When I drive any Lexus they seem nice until you drive an LS460. Then the others feel harsh and loud
Old 01-24-12, 05:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the RXh does need to lose some weight. It's way too heavy. That being said, I think that it is worth the additional cost. The reduced cost of labor, in addition to the fuel savings has proven my mom's RX400h worthwhile. Not to mention, $500 back from the state of PA was nice too. And the added power of the 350. In fact, I think that the weight is my only criticism. However, the weight of the RX 350 also increased dramatically over the previous generation.

Oh and I've found that the 400h and the 450h really shine in 30 to 60 type bursts of acceleration. It's real easy to put your foot down and find yourself going much faster than expected.
Old 01-24-12, 05:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The 450h has been the best RX I've owned to date. Like RXSF, I've had the previous gens too. I couldn't imagine myself driving anything else. It has lots of fun gadgets. No problems with acceleration or suspension for me. I went sport because I'm not into mushy rides or light steering. And the extra mileage helps.
Old 01-25-12, 06:06 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I too love my RX 450h. I always wonder about what setting they have the car in when they say it is sluggish off the mark. If I have it in the regular setting, it isn't as quick as my IS 350 was, but it isn't sluggish. I bet they test drove it in ECO mode which is sluggish.
Old 01-25-12, 07:48 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Turning off the eco mode seems like the solution. I test drove both before deciding on the 350 vs the 450. The additional $5k on the sticker and then figuring out I would need to own the vehicle for ~$8.5 years of normal driving in order to recoup the extra cost did it for me. Still was a decent experience and yes a very different drive compared to the 350. Both the 350 and the 450 made #1 on Yahoo autos best bang for the buck luxury SUV list.
Old 01-25-12, 09:32 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ I respect your choice but was the 8.5 years calculated only by gas mileage? People often neglect to factor in the lack of maintenance with the hybrids, no water pump, not timing belt/chain, brake pads seem to last quite a bit longer. and then resale value.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX450H: Now the Best-Selling Hybrid Luxury Vehicle in America