Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Dodge Dart Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 09:06 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a car that was meant for the rental fleets from the start.

for small compacts, asian car companies are the way to go and dodge is going to have a very hard time persuading other's to change their mind.

the only way would be to offer a very low priced SRT, or R, or GT or F, etc version as a base model so that a kid can do a side by side comparo with a sentra and civic and make an easy choice.

otherwise, it's a lost cause. The resale value alone with rip u a new one. Double that with a lack luster car and u have a complete Fail written all over it.
Old 05-12-14, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
this is a car that was meant for the rental fleets from the start.
No. In fact, it's the opposite. It was meant to replace a classic rental-grade car (the Caliber). In fact, the Caliber, IMO, was marginal even by rental-car standards.

Although the Dart could benefit from a little more refinement in some of its powertrain combinations, it is clearly far better, overall, than the car it replaces.
Old 06-20-14, 07:24 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2014 Dodge Dart Second Opinion

Dodge’s Compact Doesn’t Impress

The Dart was billed as the great compact car savior for Dodge. Determined to erase memories of the lackluster Caliber, the Dart ushered in a new era for Chrysler small cars, promising to take on the heavyweights of the segment. But critical acclaim was lukewarm at best and consumer acceptance hasn’t been much better.

FAST FACTS
Engine: 2.4-liter four-cylinder, 184 hp and 171 lb-ft.
  • Transmission: Six-speed automatic
  • Fuel economy: 21 MPG city, 30 MPG highway, 25.9 MPG observed
  • Price: Starting at $17,490, our loaded up Dart SXT came in at $23,420 after destination charges.
  • Last year, the Dart only outsold two compact cars: the Subaru Impreza and Kia Forte. This year things are worse. Currently, the Dart trails both of those cars, putting it dead last in sales for the compact car segment. What gives? Is the Dart really that bad?

We reviewed various versions of the Dart over the past two years and came away with mixed feelings. To see what a general consumer thinks of the car, we have once again conscripted the services of our everyday car reviewer: my wife Amanda.

New Engine, New Packages

Dodge claims to have simplified the Dart lineup slightly for 2014, but there are still five trim levels and three engines available. A 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder engine making 184 hp and 171 lb-ft of torque replaces the weak 2.0-liter engine in all trims except the base SE. The sporty Aero soldiers on with a 1.4-liter turbocharged engine and remains the only Dart to receive the dual-clutch transmission option.

On hand for evaluation is a 2014 Dart SXT that features the 2.4-liter engine paired to a traditional six-speed automatic. The SXT raises the Dart’s base price of $17,490 after destination charges to $19,590. However, thanks to the addition of the Sun/Sound Group, automatic transmission, Rallye Appearance Group, Cold Weather Group and Navigation, Amanda’s Dart costs $23,420.

One Big Compact

At just under 184 inches in length, the Dart is large for a compact car with a heavy 3,348-lb curb weight to match. Add the powerful 2.4-liter engine and fuel economy is not exactly class leading. Officially rated at 21 MPG in the city and 30 MPG on the highway, Amanda was able to achieve an observed average of 25.9 MPG.

Unsurprisingly, the Dart’s bulk is noticeable behind the wheel. It feels closer to a mid-size sedan than a compact car, which has its pros and cons. Although difficult to make quick lane changes in heavy traffic due to its size and poor sightlines, she finds the Dart to be otherwise easy to operate and really appreciates how smooth the suspension is.

Drivetrain Woes

During her morning commute, Amanda finds the transmission to be jerky and unrefined in stop-and-go traffic. The drivetrain as a whole is not as responsive or playful as she would like. The idea of calling a compact car with 184 hp underpowered might sound absurd, but the Dart SXT actually has a worse power to weight ratio than the larger four-cylinder Mazda6 sedan.

Despite its size, the Dart is easy to park and in tight spaces. With the optional Uconnect 8.4-inch color touchscreen, the rear-view camera display is clear and gives accurate perspective of objects behind the car.

Warm, Dry and On-Route

The Uconnect infotainment system is available with Garmin-powered GPS that Amanda is a big fan of. It’s easy to use, doesn’t freeze up and recalculates quickly if you take an alternative route. The seat warmers also drew praise as they heat up quickly and stay very warm unlike some other vehicles that constantly switch the heat on and off. On rainy, humid days, the Dart’s HVAC and defrosters have no issue keeping the windows fog free.

Less appealing to Amanda is the general design and finish inside the Dart. Although plenty of soft touch materials could be found, the rubberized dash coverings and abrasive seat fabric aren’t to her liking. The turn signals are another sticking point for her. When engaged they make a loud, outdated ticking clock sound that gets on her nerves during prolonged turning lane queues.

Not Accommodating

With the pedals too far away for her petite stature, she had to position the driver’s seat close to the wheel. She couldn’t find an optimal driving position and found long stints behind the wheel of the Dart to be uncomfortable and tiresome.

Even at a height of 5’2,” Amanda’s head still came uncomfortably close to the sloping roof because she had to raise the seat to properly see over the dashboard. An all-black roofliner and B-pillar only make things worse. And while on the topic of raising the seat, the crank handle is wedged between the seat and door tightly enough to make it hard to reach without opening the door.

Trunk space is accommodating in the large-bodied Dart with 13.1 cubic feet of storage room available. Back seat space is not as generous with only 35.2-inches of rear legroom. That is less than the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and Chevrolet Cruze, but the Dart can still comfortably fit adults in the back.

Amanda’s test car came equipped with the Rallye appearance group that adds some visual flair inside and out as well as a few suspension tweaks. Even with the blacked out grille, fog lights and 17-inch wheels, Amanda found the Dart to look uninspiring as it reminds her too much of the second-generation Dodge Intrepid.

The Verdict

The Dart isn’t as bad as sales figures would suggest, but it doesn’t have much going for it either. Other than size, a great infotainment unit and smooth ride, the Dart is outclassed in many regards by its competition. If price, fuel efficiency and comfort are key factors in a compact sedan purchase, Amanda feels there are better offerings out there other than the Dodge Dart.

LOVE IT
Smooth drive
Uconnect
HVAC and heated seats

LEAVE IT
Driver comfort
Sightlines
Transmission
Fuel economy
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...nion-3952.html
Old 06-20-14, 08:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I generally dislike economy cars to start with, so the mediocre Dart doesn't inspire much passion in me. But that was a stupid review.
Old 06-20-14, 10:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

At least it looks decent. Much better than the Caliber (entry level) that it replaced
Old 06-20-14, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
At least it looks decent. Much better than the Caliber (entry level) that it replaced
As a sedan, it lacks the Caliber's hatchback cargo-volume, but otherwise, I agree....a far better product. The only rough edges seem to be in a couple of the engine/transmission combinations in refinement.
Old 06-20-14, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As a sedan, it lacks the Caliber's hatchback cargo-volume, but otherwise, I agree....a far better product. The only rough edges seem to be in a couple of the engine/transmission combinations in refinement.
Correct which is why I said 'entry level' and not a direct replacement. The Caliber if you remember essentially replaced the Neon for that price bracket. So guess you could say the Dart picks up where the Neon left off after the hiatus
Old 06-20-14, 10:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LOL I still remember when this thing first came out and someone had it out to the Cars and coffee show here in AZ and we had these gawking at it while it was parked next to a Veyron . People were acting like the Veyron was a civic next to this POS. I laughed so hard I snapped pics and posted them everywhere under the title " real car people" LMAO. The Dart was a POS back in the day and I dont see it blowing anyones mind today. Another crappy product from one of me least favorite car companies in the US.
Old 06-20-14, 11:48 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

pretty sad it's a good looking little compact.

but they are selling this at below cost right now and probably won't catch a bid till it hits the price point of FREE.

Fiat chrysler needs to change their strategy so that the fiat brand covers all compacts and the chrysler dodge covers all the large sedans. People like small euro branded cars, makes them feel chic and "in". People will pay 17K for a miniscule fiat, but will not pay 12K for a dodge dart. it's all in the head.
Old 06-20-14, 11:55 AM
Hoovey689

pretty sad it's a good looking little compact.

but they are selling this at below cost right now and probably won't catch a bid till it hits the price point of FREE.

Fiat chrysler needs to change their strategy so that the fiat brand covers all compacts and the chrysler dodge covers all the large sedans. People like small euro branded cars, makes them feel chic and "in". People will pay 17K for a miniscule fiat, but will not pay 12K for a dodge dart. it's all in the head.
The 200 marks a major improvement. I have to believe since the Dart came first that it didn't benefit from Fiat which is making more and more inroads into Chrysler as of late (whereas a few years ago when the Dart was released Fiat was just getting its bearings with its new portfolio). I'd imagine the next Dart will be more competitive
Old 06-20-14, 12:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 200 marks a major improvement. I have to believe since the Dart came first that it didn't benefit from Fiat which is making more and more inroads into Chrysler as of late (whereas a few years ago when the Dart was released Fiat was just getting its bearings with its new portfolio). I'd imagine the next Dart will be more competitive
Yeah, I watched the motor week segment on it last night. As much as I wanted to hate it I was impressed. They really did a good job on it. I dont know if its going to dethrone Camry or Accord but its better in leaps and bounds
Old 06-20-14, 12:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Or they can just make the Dart competitive instead of hitting a point that's merely middle of the road/back of the pack. Things will get bitter when the new I4 and 9-speed arrive in 2016 but meh.
Old 06-20-14, 12:24 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

the styling is really the problem with the 200. that front end is a complete fail. Short weak front end will be the downfall of this car. It's sad because it's the biggest car in the segment.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Yeah, I watched the motor week segment on it last night. As much as I wanted to hate it I was impressed. They really did a good job on it. I dont know if its going to dethrone Camry or Accord but its better in leaps and bounds
Old 06-20-14, 12:42 PM
Hoovey689

the styling is really the problem with the 200. that front end is a complete fail. Short weak front end will be the downfall of this car. It's sad because it's the biggest car in the segment.
That's subjective so it's just your problem

Reason the 200 was brought up was because it has received positive reviews thus far whereas the Dart falls behind/midpack. Reasoning suggests Fiat didn't have as much a hand in the Dart Project as much as the 200, partly because they were in the process of merging let alone other projects took priority.
Old 06-20-14, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The Dart was a POS back in the day and I dont see it blowing anyones mind today.
What do you mean by "Back in its day?" In the 1960 and early 70s, the Dart's heyday, it was known for the extreme durability of the famous "Slant-Six" engine and TorqueFlite automatic transmission. That's why it (and similar Chrysler products) were so popular as taxicabs back then. They would sometimes go 200,000 miles in an age when the average Detroit car had trouble reaching 90-100,000 miles.

Quick Reply: 2013 Dodge Dart Revealed