Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What Is An Exotic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 03:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
In my opinion an exotic must be:

1. Very expensive(at least $120,000 in the U.S.)
2. Rare enough
3. Very powerful(500hp or more in today standard)
4. Coming from a company that also builds other exotics(see 1. 2. and 3.)

Of course these are the new exotics's minimum thresholds. For the ones in the 90s or earlier, price and horsepower/top speed could be slightly lower.
So would you say that the LFA is an exotic?
Old 12-21-11, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So would you say that the LFA is an exotic?
The LFA is an exotic and there is no question about it.

Dupont Registry Best new Exotic Car =LFA
$375,000 Lexus LFA: Ferrari Fighter or Exotic Fantasy?

2012 LEXUS LFA, THE TWO SEATER EXOTIC AND EROTIC
http://automobile.ejukeytur.com/2012...ic-and-erotic/
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...fa_quick_test/

The driving experience in the LFA is also nothing short of exotic. The first thing you notice is how amazingly loud it is. Modern supercars have loads of sound insulation and acoustically engineered glass to keep things at reasonable levels. Even Ferraris and Lamborghinis seem like Bentleys inside compared to the LFA.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1hDmf2nRC
I could post these all night. That is not a question for anyone, it is an exotic. Period.

Old 12-21-11, 05:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Exotic is a very vogue term, for some people a 30k BMW is an exotic, and others argue that $400k Lexus isn't an exotic.

Below are my favorite sports cars, and yes, I do consider them all exotic. I can't really afford any of them, but I could, I wouldn't give a rats *** what anyone thinks.

What Is An Exotic?-y6fta.jpg

What Is An Exotic?-gqsqu.jpg
Old 12-21-11, 05:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LFA is an exotic and there is no question about it.

I could post these all night. That is not a question for anyone, it is an exotic. Period.
The LFA got every single ingredients of an exotic car, along with the Toyota 2000GT.

One can argue that Lexus is not an exotic brand name, but seriously the only exotic cars Porsche ever made was the 959 and Carrera GT, also the only exotic Audi ever have is the R8. BMW is worst, the only exotic they got was that really old M1, the Z8 and 850CSI was the most exotic they ever got to and they barely qualify as an exotic.

Is funny how I see the NSX as an exotic but the Nissan GTR is not, must be the styling and noises.

So brand name alone is not totally a deciding factor.
Old 12-21-11, 05:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Exotic is a very vogue term, for some people a 30k BMW is an exotic, and others argue that $400k Lexus isn't an exotic.
I don't think there is anyone that think a $30k BMW is an exotic, those people are just car ignorant folks that think all BMW are nice cars, but I don't think they think they are exotic.
Old 12-21-11, 05:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't think there is anyone that think a $30k BMW is an exotic, those people are just car ignorant folks that think all BMW are nice cars, but I don't think they think they are exotic.
Oh I agree that they are car ignorant fools, but why do all of them seem to joining and trolling on clublexus?
Old 12-21-11, 06:48 PM
LexFather

Well no joke the head of BMW "M" said they already make supercars so there is no need to build a LFA, R8, SLS competitor. Utter bull**** from a marque that has gone softer than 50 cent's 4th album. M is mad b/c everyone else is making exotics and they are stuck with chasing sales figures and making SUVs..

I really don't think brand has much to do with it. Pagani has absolutely no prior history making cars (yes he worked at Lambo) and there is no question any PAgani is an exotic. I think once the car has the proper ingredients it can be an exotic no matter where its from.

Old 12-21-11, 07:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take on this is:

An exotic is a car cannot be determined without looking at the brand as well.

For the purpose of Lexus, which is what this forum is about, the LFA is not a exotic car. A supercar yes!

Access to the brand is the deciding factor, most people cannot access the Ferrari, Lambo or Bugatti.

Any car company can design and build a $400,000 supercar. Does it make it an exotic? NO

If Ferrari started offering a $29k hybrid (Lexus CT) fighter. What would we say about that?

Is the LFA a supercar? Yes. Price and rarity alone does not make the LFA an exotic.
I know you are probably trying to start something and I will bite. Why do you not think LFA is an exotic? Not enough exotic materials were used? does not sound like an exotic? not exclusive enough? not enough blood and sweat went into the development of LFA?

I would like to hear you thoughts on it.

Do you think this is an exotic? http://jalopnik.com/5354484/695-trib...lds-a-fiat-500
Old 12-21-11, 07:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The more I think about this subject I get closer to considering the GTR an exotic.
I couldn't decide what it didn't have so it must qualify.

It is powerful.
It has unique styling.
It has limited availability.
It can run on the track but handle daily traffic.
It turns heads.
To many it is sexy.

In one of my visits to our local Ferrari dealer, there was a GTR parked next to several Ferrari's. It looked right at home. It did not shrink or fade around the cars that no one doubts are exotics. It had presense and power.

Maybe I'll call it a junior exotic.
Old 12-21-11, 07:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
I know you are probably trying to start something and I will bite. Why do you not think LFA is an exotic? Not enough exotic materials were used? does not sound like an exotic? not exclusive enough? not enough blood and sweat went into the development of LFA?

Do you think this is an exotic? http://jalopnik.com/5354484/695-trib...lds-a-fiat-500
I honestly don't know what else to say at this point. It so obvious its scary. To focus on the LFA on a Lexus forum and not call it an exotic. Seriously....I am just sad at this point. Utterly sad.

Old 12-21-11, 08:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG

Thanks for the response, I will respond in more detail later.

You see, Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, Bentley etc are all brand names that identify as exotic cars, Lexus on the other hand does not.
Average people cannot purchase those brand but average people can purchase Lexus and that is what the LFA falls under.

The LFA is a name of a car under a brand name. The fact that it costs $400k has people thinking/justifying that it is an exotic.

I could argue that the $120k low volume LS600hl is a exotic? But it is still just a Lexus which shares the same logo/shield as the CT200.

At the end of the day, the LFA should be compared to cars like the Ford GT500, the Viper, the Corvette and yes the Nissan GTR. Those are all supercars and Lexus LFA is one of them.
Old 12-21-11, 08:17 PM
LexFather

You see, Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, Bentley etc are all brand names that identify as exotic cars, Lexus on the other hand does not.
Average people cannot purchase those brand but average people can purchase Lexus and that is what the LFA falls under.

The LFA is a name of a car under a brand name. The fact that it costs $400k has people thinking/justifying that it is an exotic.

I could argue that the $120k low volume LS600hl is a exotic? But it is still just a Lexus which shares the same logo/shield as the CT200.

At the end of the day, the LFA should be compared to cars like the Ford GT500, the Viper, the Corvette and yes the Nissan GTR. Those are all supercars and Lexus LFA is one of them.
I just laughed so hard I have to log out...

I guess we should tell Jaguar with the XJ220, Benz with the SLR and SLS they are not supercars either but should be compared to 60-100k cars that share components with 20k cars. Not b/c every expert and person with a reasonable I.Q thinks so and has said so and b/c the cars are built to exotic standards. No its all about the badge.

Everyone, we should ignore universal expert agreement and listen instead to this.

This is so obvious its ridiculous.

FYI, some experts don't consider V-8 cars of any kind to be exotics. They insist V-10 or higher. I'm wasting my breathe though.

We are having a discussion on exotics and here you are stuck on the LFA, doing your best to insult it on a Lexus forum. Even after I posted multiple links proving completely otherwise.

Old 12-21-11, 08:41 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting, Jill.I think Ford GT500 is more like M3, which is no where near exotic, but I do believe Ford GT is an exotic. I appreciate a car beyond its logo. Do you think 911 turbo is an exotic? I think reasonable average person can purchase a base boxster, but I am sure 90% of car guys would agree that Porsche Caarrera GT and 911 GT1 are exotics.

I am looking forward to your detailed response.
Old 12-21-11, 09:04 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

To me, an exotic car
- uses light weight&exotic materials.
- uses exclusive chassis (maybe share with other exotic cars?)
- is race car inspired
- is exclusive
- is built by special team in the company
- has superior building quality
- has unusual appearance that can turns heads, drops panties.
- has extraordinary engine sound.
Old 12-21-11, 09:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Good post!
I'd prolly change the "bargain supercars" heading to High Performance Cars.
dually noted

Quick Reply: What Is An Exotic?