Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Mercedes S550 review (comparison to 2007 LS460L)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 12:40 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
thanks tammer. i definitely took a risk with the s550 though so far it's treating me pretty well. my wife is loving the car more and more every day. i guess her being pregnant will appreciate the quiet and smooth ride even more.
The wife and I went out to dinner with my son in law and daughter.We took his S550 with AMG pkg.
The car is fantastic.
No knock on the LS460.It's a beautiful cat.He had the 460L which I been in and drove many times and the S550 is so much classier,roomier,just nicer and with many more features.Items that are electrical and subject to failure in the long term but nice features.
Old 12-05-11, 12:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

hahhaa yeah, but that also shows how much confidence they have in their own products
They are 100% fully aware of everything about their own products. They are not fixing the issues is not because they don't know
Old 12-05-11, 01:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Even while cruising in my LS460 with the 22" wheels I still rubber neck even when I see a bone stock S class. Anyone who knows cars knows that the S class is as advanced as it gets and they offer power, features, and special AMG packages that are simply non existent at Lexus.
Old 12-05-11, 01:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The wife and I went out to dinner with my son in law and daughter.We took his S550 with AMG pkg.
The car is fantastic.
No knock on the LS460.It's a beautiful cat.He had the 460L which I been in and drove many times and the S550 is so much classier,roomier,just nicer and with many more features.Items that are electrical and subject to failure in the long term but nice features.
hahaha yeah joe, i think you put it very well. it's always pay to play i guess. when it comes to technology, newest and latest, mb is always there. but then when it breaks, they do seem to come fast too, haha. maybe that's also why their systems are so readily "upgradable"

Originally Posted by BNR34
They are 100% fully aware of everything about their own products. They are not fixing the issues is not because they don't know
you are right, some repair stories on mb forums are just funny. umm, let's try this, then that, then this, oh wait maybe that. you can easily end up with another new car worth

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Even while cruising in my LS460 with the 22" wheels I still rubber neck even when I see a bone stock S class. Anyone who knows cars knows that the S class is as advanced as it gets and they offer power, features, and special AMG packages that are simply non existent at Lexus.
i think in the end it has to do with heritage quite a bit. bottom line is when it comes to prestige, mb has longer history. not saying lexus isn't as luxury, but perception can be pretty strong.
Old 12-05-11, 01:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
As much as I don't crave an AMG S-Class, they do look fabulous. Especially the late model S63 and S65, they have LEDs gone wild front end, like 2 or 3 rows of LEDs DRL
Old 12-05-11, 01:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

you are right, some repair stories on mb forums are just funny. umm, let's try this, then that, then this, oh wait maybe that. you can easily end up with another new car worth
Is all electrical issues, is hard to pin down exactly what it is.
Old 12-05-11, 02:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

hahaha yeah joe, i think you put it very well. it's always pay to play i guess. when it comes to technology, newest and latest, mb is always there. but then when it breaks, they do seem to come fast too, haha. maybe that's also why their systems are so readily "upgradable"

Henry,the features like the ambient lighting,door that don't move when opened,digital screen speedometer with the night vision changeover,car stops on it''s own if door opens under 20 MPH,seat massagers and electric while turning seat bolsters etc,etc.My s-i-l is still learning how to use some features.
Nice features but they may go after warranty which is scary.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-05-11 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 02:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

As much as I don't crave an AMG S-Class, they do look fabulous. Especially the late model S63 and S65, they have LEDs gone wild front end, like 2 or 3 rows of LEDs DRL
i don't think those are specific to s63 and s65? i thought all 2010+ s class have the same headlights and the led drl down in foglight area

Is all electrical issues, is hard to pin down exactly what it is.
not if you design it correctly imho. if you make things too complicated you shoot yourself in the foot by not able to debug systematically (something japanese seems to be better at)

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Henry,the features like the ambient lighting,door that don't move when opened,digital screen speedometer with the night vision changeover,car stops on it''s own if door opens under 20 MPH,seat massagers and electric while turning seat bolsters etc,etc.My s-i-l is still learning how to use some features.
Nice features but they may go after warranty which is scary.
hahhaaa, in some way you actually want to make sure these stuff break before warranty expires
Old 12-05-11, 03:05 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
Contact Bruce Mendel
brucem105@comcast.net

He sells top notch warranties that the dealers use for highline exotic luxury vehicles at great prices.
Thanks!! I actually already contacted him. I did a search on MBworld and he is all over there. Still havn't heard from him yet though
Old 12-05-11, 03:23 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think those are specific to s63 and s65? i thought all 2010+ s class have the same headlights and the led drl down in foglight area
That I don't know, don't quote me on that. I don't know tiny details about cars that I am not interested in owning. My knowledges is solely base on what I see on the street, and please don't think I am bragging, almost all brand new fancy S-Class I see on the street are all S63 and S65, I don't think I have seen a brand new S550 yet.

not if you design it correctly imho. if you make things too complicated you shoot yourself in the foot by not able to debug systematically (something japanese seems to be better at)
Obviously if MB are designed correctly to be reliable, it won't have the reputation of "don't own one without a warranty".

hahhaaa, in some way you actually want to make sure these stuff break before warranty expires
Even if warranty fixes it once, it still going to break again. Is a design issue, it will never be cured.
Old 12-05-11, 04:17 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

man i feel better and better about this thread. it has tons of great info in it. thanks!!!!!!!!
I know, great thread man. It should be archived in the hall of fame or stickied!
Old 12-05-11, 04:21 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Thanks!! I actually already contacted him. I did a search on MBworld and he is all over there. Still havn't heard from him yet though
He's usually prompt, just give him time. Real helpful guy and very honest. He's been doing this for years and knows what warranty companies to avoid and which ones are the best to deal with.
Old 12-05-11, 04:27 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rominl, are you a veteran per chance? If so USAA can't be beat on extended warranties.
Old 12-05-11, 04:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

That I don't know, don't quote me on that. I don't know tiny details about cars that I am not interested in owning. My knowledges is solely base on what I see on the street, and please don't think I am bragging, almost all brand new fancy S-Class I see on the street are all S63 and S65, I don't think I have seen a brand new S550 yet.

Obviously if MB are designed correctly to be reliable, it won't have the reputation of "don't own one without a warranty".

Even if warranty fixes it once, it still going to break again. Is a design issue, it will never be cured.
you brag, you live in some nice area i work very close to fetcher jones so i see plenty of new S around.

well, if you get it fixed once before warranty, at least instead of keeping the car for 4 years, MAYBE you can get to keep it for 6-7 yrs, hehe...

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
rominl, are you a veteran per chance? If so USAA can't be beat on extended warranties.
unfortunately no but in some way my mentality is given the price i got the car, might as well just drive it, if there is any problem just sell it
Old 12-05-11, 05:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

you brag, you live in some nice area i work very close to fetcher jones so i see plenty of new S around.
I live in a normal average house right smack in the middle of 2 very wealthy areas that have nothing but private homes. All those CEOs have to drive to my area to go to the local Ralphs, that explains why I see very exotic cars daily It is fun to see people driving their Phantom to go pick up grocery at Ralphs, I just saw a new Ghost the other day with a baby seat in the back.

My theory on why all 11' and 12' S I see are all S63 and some S65. S550 are mostly 07', 08', is that anyone who is spending $100k+ on a brand new 2012 S-Class is going for at least a S63, I think a S63 is not a whole lot more then a fully loaded AMG packaged S550. S550 buyers are looking for a deal, so they mostly buy them used for under $50k. Also there are a lot of executives in the car business here, I see tons of dealer's plate on brand new luxury cars, so those guys drive the latest and greatest, the GM of San Diego MB would rock at least a new S63.

well, if you get it fixed once before warranty, at least instead of keeping the car for 4 years, MAYBE you can get to keep it for 6-7 yrs, hehe...
That is true if there is only one thing that goes bad. I see your point though.

unfortunately no but in some way my mentality is given the price i got the car, might as well just drive it, if there is any problem just sell it
I think that is good thinking

Last edited by BNR34; 12-05-11 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Mercedes S550 review (comparison to 2007 LS460L)