Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OFFICIAL: 2013 Ford Escape gets Focused design, EcoBoost power

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 10:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default OFFICIAL: 2013 Ford Escape gets Focused design, EcoBoost power

2013 Ford Escape gets Focused design, EcoBoost power

We Americans have a long history of clamoring for the forbidden fruit that automakers offer in Europe. Such has been the case with the Ford Kuga crossover – the cuter equivalent of the more traditionally styled Escape here in North America. But under the automaker's One Ford plan, the products offered across the pond are now nearly identical to what's being sold here, and because of this, the all-new 2013 Escape ditches its boxy styling and decidedly rugged good looks for something a little more... kinetic.

Love it or hate it, the 2013 Escape – previewed by the Vertrek concept from this year's Detroit Auto Show – takes much of its design inspiration from the 2012 Focus. The large, trapezoidal lower grille, the wraparound design of the taillamps and even the alloy wheels are further interpretations of the Focus formula. And while the sexy lead image you see above makes the Escape look all tough and handsome, truth be told, we're not sure if we love it. We've seen the new Escape in person and it still strikes us as a bit too... Focused. Call us old school, but there was something appealing about the mini-SUV styling of the old Escape.

What aren't old school, however, are the new suite of engines that Ford is offering in its compact CUV. The standard engine is a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter inline four-cylinder, which produces 168 horsepower and 167 pound-feet of torque. Next up is an all-new 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder with 173 hp and 177 lb-ft on tap, and the range-topping engine is the 2.0-liter EcoBoost that boasts 237 hp and 250 lb-ft. All of these powerplants are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, and with the 2.0-liter underhood, the Escape is capable of towing up to 3,500 pounds. Depending on the engine, Ford says that the new Escape is up to five miles per gallon more efficient than the outgoing model, though official EPA numbers (or estimates) have not been released at this time. Front-wheel drive is standard, but buyers can opt for a new intelligent all-wheel-drive system, as well.

Inside, there's a host of the latest Ford technology, including the newly revamped MyFord Touch infotainment system. As for design, there's a ton of Focus influence in the Escape's cabin, though the layout of the center stack is cleaner and better organized than the one in the smaller Focus. There are plenty of other convenience features on the new Escape, as well, including active park assist and a hands-free liftgate system.

There's a lot to like about the 2013 Ford Escape, and we'll be curious to see what the sales numbers look like when the crossover hits dealers early next year. The "old" model is selling better than ever, so the all-new Escape has serious shoes to fill.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-4608166/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/2...coboost-power/
Old 11-15-11, 10:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great!

Puts the CR-V to shame.
Old 11-15-11, 10:45 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this be available in hybrid trim? I know the last one sold like hot cakes.
Old 11-15-11, 10:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Dang, the thing went from looking like a very American truck to a very asian import. Not a bad thing, but it's character has flipped completely. Kind of a sign of the times as to what sells these days.

At any rate, here's a brief commentary:

Pro-
- nice flowing roofline and windowline.
- tasteful taillight shape and design.
- impressive fuel economy improvements

Con-
-imported look mimics current Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, and Mitsubishi body shapes. This steals away some freshness, as it's a look we've all seen on the road for several years already.
-honeycomb rims are obnoxious, tacky, and overstyled. Also unfresh since it's been seen on the Taurus for a few years already.
-pod and sectioned dash design is overstyled and immature. Any $13k compact could have this dash. Ford went downmarket in my opinion with it's interior styling choice.
-rear bumper filler is far too swollen and bloated. Are guts bursting out? Maybe it couldn't make it to the bathroom in time.
-front valance looks like a mouth full of dirt. Too much black plastic and not enough bumper face.
-upper grille looks jipped and abreviated.
-in side profile, front overhang is unattractive. This is surprising, considering one of the main complaints ethusiasts have had over the years deals with excessive front overhangs (Audi got the message).

It seems Ford caved in to flavors of the day with this design, but I wager it will be a very strong seller. I will always remember my friend's 2000 Escape V6. First year it came out and everyone was trying to get one. That thing was FAST too. Too bad he crashed it into the side of a mountain.
Old 11-15-11, 11:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
Will this be available in hybrid trim? I know the last one sold like hot cakes.
Yes, not initially. I'd imagine a year after the NA release if not sooner. Look for more info come LA or Detroit autoshows
Old 11-16-11, 07:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

Pro-
- nice flowing roofline and windowline.
- tasteful taillight shape and design.
- impressive fuel economy improvements

Con-
-imported look mimics current Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, and Mitsubishi body shapes. This steals away some freshness, as it's a look we've all seen on the road for several years already.
-honeycomb rims are obnoxious, tacky, and overstyled. Also unfresh since it's been seen on the Taurus for a few years already.
-pod and sectioned dash design is overstyled and immature. Any $13k compact could have this dash. Ford went downmarket in my opinion with it's interior styling choice.
-rear bumper filler is far too swollen and bloated. Are guts bursting out? Maybe it couldn't make it to the bathroom in time.
-front valance looks like a mouth full of dirt. Too much black plastic and not enough bumper face.
-upper grille looks jipped and abreviated.
-in side profile, front overhang is unattractive. This is surprising, considering one of the main complaints ethusiasts have had over the years deals with excessive front overhangs (Audi got the message).
Agree with this
Old 11-16-11, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This new interior, (at least from pictures), IMO, is just awful. The only things that don't make me want to lose my lunch are the steering wheel, primary-gauges, and the nice fore/aft shift-lever. But if the rest of this interior is what they plan to put into U.S.- production, I don't think they are going to get any of my money.

Old 11-16-11, 09:41 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the photos and basic specs, i really like it! Looking forward to the specs and price.
Old 11-16-11, 09:43 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Looks great! Reminds me of the European Kuga.
Old 11-16-11, 12:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This new interior, (at least from pictures), IMO, is just awful. The only things that don't make me want to lose my lunch are the steering wheel, primary-gauges, and the nice fore/aft shift-lever. But if the rest of this interior is what they plan to put into U.S.- production, I don't think they are going to get any of my money.

Agreed! The interior looks like a mess.
Old 11-16-11, 12:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They are doing some good things at Ford. Nice features, power plants, and fresh design and technology.....what else could a consumer want
Old 11-16-11, 03:03 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Wow, thats a HUGE improvement. The current model is so dated its not even funny...
Old 11-16-11, 03:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Center stack is somewhat Velsoter-ish...

Old 11-16-11, 03:57 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Edit, nevermind.
Old 11-16-11, 06:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They are doing some good things at Ford. Nice features, power plants, and fresh design and technology.....what else could a consumer want
a volume ****

also, what's up with the base 2.5 motor? the 2012 has 171hp and 171lb/ft torque....the 2013 has been downgraded to 168hp and 167lb/ft ??

Last edited by bagwell; 11-16-11 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: 2013 Ford Escape gets Focused design, EcoBoost power