Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 05:27 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They also state that they made the remote touch interface so that they could move the screen farther away from the drive to allow easier and quicker viewing while minimizing the time looking away from the road. The consequence of this is that it is farther away to touch. I have seen some cars where the NAV screen is set where the radio/ temp controls normally are and that just makes you take your eyes completely off the road to view.
Old 10-25-11, 06:56 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Touch screens are good, but they are a pain in the **** to reach.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Both are fine, my gripe is the graphics and resolution. This is 2011!!
Agreed on both points. I dislike leaning forward out of the seat to touch a screen and the graphics are weak. Having both touchscreen and remote would be interesting.

Voice commands for destination entry or Lexus Enform/eDestination.
Old 10-25-11, 07:39 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the touchscreen. The mouse control like the one in the RX is alright, but it's still a pain to type letters in. The only thing about most screens nowadays is that the actual screen kinda sucks. I want to see an IPS screen with capacitive touch capabilities...(and the remote for all you who prefer that)
Old 08-14-12, 06:16 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

do ALL of the new Lexus vehicles now have "Remote Touch" and no touchscreen Navigation units??? when did this change happen???

"Unlike the GS with its massive 12.3-inch colorful navigation/information display, the big space on the ES' dashboard is filled with a standard seven-inch screen, controlled by a **** on the center console. Opting for navigation – part of either the Premium, Luxury or Ultra Luxury packages – will get you an eight-inch display mated to Lexus' Remote Touch movable mouse-like joystick – a feature that, even after a few years, we still can't quite get used to."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/18/2...-drive-review/
Old 08-14-12, 06:28 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Gekko, only the ES , GS, RX , CT and soon LS offer remote touch with navigation but on the LS it's standard. The LX and GX still do not the ES and RX non navigation come with a ****. I'm not sure if the GS is the same way as I have never seen a GS equipped without the navigation.

This is a non navigation 2013 RX.
Old 08-14-12, 06:34 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non-navigation 4th gen GS also uses remote touch as well.
Old 08-14-12, 06:35 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Gekko, only the ES , GS, RX , CT and soon LS offer remote touch with navigation but on the LS it's standard. The LX and GX still do not the ES and RX non navigation come with a ****. I'm not sure if the GS is the same way as I have never seen a GS equipped without the navigation.

This is a non navigation 2013 RX.
[IMGIMG]

my question was regarding TOUCHSCREEN vs. REMOTE TOUCH JOYSTICK.

are they ALL now REMOTE TOUCH JOYSTICK?

NO MORE TOUCHSCREEN AVAILABLE ON ANY MODEL??? DID LEXUS TOTALLY DO AWAY WITH TOUCHSCREEN ON ALL MODELS???
Old 08-14-12, 06:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
why not both? why not keep the touchscreen but add the joystick if necessary? this way the customer can decide which he/she wants to use - as opposed to ruling out a car because it only has one or the other. the best of both worlds.
Touchscreen puts a restriction on the layout of the center console. Yet if the screen is reachable why even have the remote touch which takes up even more space. I dont see how the 12.3" screen is even possible if you wanted touchscreen, it would hog so much space on the center console and the new layout to accommodate that would look horrible and cramped. Not to mention have fun reaching the far right side of a 12.3" screen from the drivers position. A remote screen can be mounted higher up which is safer to look at during driving because you can still keep your eyes on the road unlike a touchscreen where you have to look down. A remote screen is also mounted in an area of the dash that was previously empty, this is a more efficient use of space. Space that is now freed up from the center dash for other controls.

Now with the remote touch display you can have still have traditional controls for the AC and audio which originally. Want to know what is annoying? Having to use the touchscreen to control the AC and audio was incredibly annoying with all the nested menus. Have to press climate or audio then press other buttons to control it, instead of going straight to a dedicated climate/audio control. This is how its like in my moms LX470 and its annoying to have to navigate a couple menus just to change simple climate/audio settings.

Lot of things you haven't thought about from a design standpoint. It is not the best of both worlds.

Traditional controls for A/C and audio even with navi

2012 ES touchscreen:

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-14-12 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 06:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

why not both? why not keep the touchscreen but add the joystick if necessary? this way the customer can decide which he/she wants to use - as opposed to ruling out a car because it only has one or the other. the best of both worlds.
This is Nissan's approach, and I must say it's brilliant. There's a touchscreen augmented by a 5-way controller, scroll wheel and numerous hard buttons. Some things (typing, scrolling the map) are much easier on a touch screen, while others (scrolling through contacts/songs) are far better with the wheel.

When I drive my father-in-law's car, I switch seamlessly between the two depending on activity. This is easy to do because the controls are right under the screen. I'd be a bit more difficult with Lexus/MB/BMW/Audi placement on the center console.
Old 08-14-12, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

NO MORE TOUCHSCREEN AVAILABLE ON ANY MODEL??? DID LEXUS TOTALLY DO AWAY WITH TOUCHSCREEN ON ALL MODELS???
almost. lexus (like bmw and mercedes) decided having a larger screen set further back was the way to go and unless you have arms like an orangutan a touch screen wouldn't work
i'm with you though - can't stand these controllers.
Old 08-14-12, 06:58 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that both have their benefits and I have only used the remote touch on a loaner for 2 days so I was not as comfortable with it as I am my touch screen but I think it is just as good, just different.
Old 08-14-12, 07:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

here is the GS with the new 12.3" screen, let me know how you can squeeze a 12.3" in a touchscreen configuration

Larger screen is safer to use since you dont have to focus or concentrate as much looking at the screen for where you are going. More concentration for driving and the screen position has already been mentioned.

2011 GS:

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-14-12 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 07:08 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

i'd rather have a 7" touchscreen than a 12" non-touchscreen.
Old 08-14-12, 07:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Touch#Background

Background

Prior to the advent of Remote Touch, Lexus interiors were typically equipped with touchscreen interfaces. Although this system was regarded by many reviewers as easier to use than conventional rotary **** controllers,[6] the need to place the touchscreen within easy reach limited design possibilities for the interior (by forcing placement of the screen in the center dash and in close proximity to the steering wheel). The enhanced technology trend in the automotive industry also resulted in a plethora of ever-increasing buttons and switches on many luxury vehicles.[6]

In response, several luxury brands had switched to rotary **** control devices, with the aim to simplify cabin layout and consolidate multiple controls with a single device.[6] The BMW iDrive, Audi MMI, and Mercedes-Benz Comand APS interfaces operated using a circular center **** which can be rotated side to side, and pressed to select items, with the rotary **** scrolling through on-screen menus. Of these systems, some reviewers praised their ability to simplify the dash layout,[6] while others levied criticism for reputed complexity and user difficulty, particularly with iDrive.[7][8][9]

In the mid 2000s, Lexus began developing an alternative to the touchscreen interface, in light of the latter's restrictions on interior styling and instrument panel configuration.[10] Prototype development and consumer testing was conducted to develop a new control device. Consumer research conducted with Lexus supplier Denso corporation indicated that the prototype control system required no more mental or physical effort than a touchscreen, plus offered interior layouts with more screen visibility, was physically more comfortable to operate, and easier to use while in motion.
The introduction of Remote Touch on the 2010 Lexus RX was generally well received by reviewers,[15] and the system was described as easier to use than rivals by Autoblog,[7] Car and Driver,[16] Cars.com,[17] CNET,[18] Consumer Guide,[19] Edmunds.com,[10] Motor Trend,[8] PC Magazine,[2] Road & Track,[20] and Winding Road,[9] with Motor Trend predicting that competitors would adopt its design.[8] However, the system remained a controversial interface for some drivers who found it difficult to use, as compared to the previous, Lexus-standard touchscreen. Remote Touch won Popular Mechanics Technical Innovation Award,[21] and was named Popular Science's "Best of What's New" in Auto Tech for 2009
Old 08-14-12, 08:26 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an 09 LS with touchscreen and a '10 RX with the first generation of the remote and after using it for a while, I much prefer the remote. I traded an 08 ES with touchscreen for the RX and at first I thought I had made a mistake but I got used to the remote very quickly and now prefer it. I certainly don't see the controller a being a step back.
Steve

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO