Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 06:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I had the touch screen on my 2RX and I prefer Remote Touch on my 3RX. However, I look forward to the TouchPad remote touch starting in the RC as I think it will make the control easier.
Old 02-27-14, 08:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

so 2015 RX says it will have an updated remote touch controller, but it does not mention the touch capabilities...wonder what they have in store
Old 02-28-14, 05:00 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
I traded my 2013 RX for a 2014 GX because it was so difficult to input an address, tune the radio, or make a phone call with the remote touch.
I'm hoping voice recognition improves enough to replace the remote touch cause I really miss my RX.
is the 2014 GX navigation system touchscreen? i wonder why they decided to do that? legacy model?

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/featu...ns/?navTo=i0s0
Old 02-28-14, 09:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
is the 2014 GX navigation system touchscreen? i wonder why they decided to do that? legacy model?

Yes it's touchscreen. Only the GX, LX, and carry over '14 IS C and IS F all retain touchscreen
Old 02-28-14, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes it's touchscreen. Only the GX, LX, and carry over '14 IS C and IS F all retain touchscreen
yup, until they do a major facelift there is no way they can just throw in remote touch like that. i think gx and lx basically will have to wait for next generation
Old 02-28-14, 11:03 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, until they do a major facelift there is no way they can just throw in remote touch like that. i think gx and lx basically will have to wait for next generation
Yeah it should be interesting to see since the GX and LX are so closely related to 4Runner/Prado and LC. Makes me think if the next gens go unibody (spin the Lexus's off as their own) then they are more likely to get RT but could also stay touchscreen if they are too closely related to the Toyotas. That's not to say they couldn't rearrange the cup holders or 4x4/suspension toggles to place a RT mount though. But who knows. When RT debuted on some 2010 model up until 2012 (CT exception), it had the two enter buttons on the sides. For 2013-2014 it dropped the Enters for the push down mouse. Now it seems 2015 debuts the new RT Crosshair, so roughly every 2 years a big change comes in the form of a new gen of RT. We'll see if they stick with this 3rd gen or move on in 2017
Old 02-28-14, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i didn't like the first gen RT much, that enter button on the side was pretty annoying. and also the way the RT moves / tilt, the new design is way more ergonomic imho

the ES is somewhat camry / avalon as well but they are able to put in the RT, i am sure they can figure out a way with GX and LX. but you are so right, maybe it's time to depart further way from the 4runner and LC
Old 02-28-14, 11:45 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

so these models still have the last generation navigation system? (vs. a newer "touch" variant of the most current generation navigation system?)
Old 02-28-14, 11:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

so these models still have the last generation navigation system? (vs. a newer "touch" variant of the most current generation navigation system?)
Hoovey could probably confirm, but my understanding is that the newest GX uses a touchscreen version of the new navigation system found in the 3IS. I am not sure about the others.
Old 02-28-14, 12:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah it should be interesting to see since the GX and LX are so closely related to 4Runner/Prado and LC. Makes me think if the next gens go unibody (spin the Lexus's off as their own) then they are more likely to get RT but could also stay touchscreen if they are too closely related to the Toyotas. That's not to say they couldn't rearrange the cup holders or 4x4/suspension toggles to place a RT mount though. But who knows. When RT debuted on some 2010 model up until 2012 (CT exception), it had the two enter buttons on the sides. For 2013-2014 it dropped the Enters for the push down mouse. Now it seems 2015 debuts the new RT Crosshair, so roughly every 2 years a big change comes in the form of a new gen of RT. We'll see if they stick with this 3rd gen or move on in 2017
i dont think navigation has anything to do with sharing platforms.

LX will certainly not go unibody, because its main market is not west... but GX might become something else completely.
Old 02-28-14, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JDR76
Hoovey could probably confirm, but my understanding is that the newest GX uses a touchscreen version of the new navigation system found in the 3IS. I am not sure about the others.
Ok, so GX, LX, IS C, IS F are all touch screen. All other models are Remote Touch for interface.

Now here's where it gets funny. Only the IS, CT and GX have the lastest Navigation system (Subscribtion free traffic/weather, 3D maps, one-shot address entry, cache radio etc..). Everyting else still has the system introduced on '13 models.
Old 02-28-14, 02:04 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think navigation has anything to do with sharing platforms.

LX will certainly not go unibody, because its main market is not west... but GX might become something else completely.
Sorry I was referring more referring to the dash layout.

Well it could if they spin the LX off as it's own model. Truthfully I'd prefer it, as unibody would allow for a more comfortable ride, efficiency, handling etc.. The Range Rover is a prime example of uber luxury and capability. Just use LC's fantastic 4x4 hardware and you're golden. And yeah, GX's future depends on the 2016 RX and how big it gets and if it does or doesn't seat seven it seems.
Old 02-28-14, 02:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Ok, so GX, LX, IS C, IS F are all touch screen. All other models are Remote Touch for interface.

Now here's where it gets funny. Only the IS, CT and GX have the lastest Navigation system (Subscribtion free traffic/weather, 3D maps, one-shot address entry, cache radio etc..). Everyting else still has the system introduced on '13 models.
yup i was quite surprised at how the gx and ct got the new system but not the other models. hard to figure out
Old 03-01-14, 08:38 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

so there is a 2014+ Generation Navigation System with a Touchscreen. interesting.

i think the best solution is to include the Touchscreen along with the Remote Touch. this way the customer can choose what works best for them.
Old 03-01-14, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

so there is a 2014+ Generation Navigation System with a Touchscreen. interesting.

i think the best solution is to include the Touchscreen along with the Remote Touch. this way the customer can choose what works best for them.
I suspect it's about screen location. Remote Touch is likely more expensive than a touchscreen. Since the GX nav screen is within reach, they left it a touchscreen. Without a full dash redesign, RT wouldn't really buy them anything. However, on the RX, IS, GS, and LS, etc., the RT has allowed them to place the screen further away, really opening up the options on dash design, and allowing the screen to be placed closer to the forward line of vision.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO