Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Worst TV Auto-Insurance Ads?
Progressive (Flo)
16.00%
GEICO (Gecko Lizard)
4.00%
GEICO (Cave Man)
12.00%
GEICO (Money/Eyes-Bundle)
12.00%
The General (Cartoon General)
40.00%
Allstate (Smooth-Talking-Salesman)
8.00%
Farmer's Group (Silly Group-Scenes)
4.00%
State Farm (Whistling Music/Corny-Acting)
4.00%
Other
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Worst Auto-Insurance Ads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 03:38 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I hated the esurance commercials. Haven't seem them forever though.
Old 10-06-11, 03:46 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Without bringing personal taste into the matter, just from a classic advertising standpoint, Allstate's ads find a competitive advantage and explain it in simple terms. Mayhem does that quite well (show a dramatized situation and make the point that "your 15 minute insurance probably won't cover this . . . ), and Dennis Haysbert is probably the best spokesman in the industry. Progressive is entertaining, but silly. I'm not sure I want a silly insurance agent. Geico, General, Farmer's and State Farm are stupid. I'm sure I don't want a stupid insurance agent.

Last edited by Lil4X; 10-06-11 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 03:48 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeap, I love the new Mayhem commercials too. I really enjoyed the GPS one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXM_g3mqew
Old 10-06-11, 03:58 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the Statefarm commercials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRS4shfH1Pw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoDaC...eature=related
I hate The Generals commercials with a passion.
Old 10-07-11, 08:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Without bringing personal taste into the matter, just from a classic advertising standpoint, Allstate's ads find a competitive advantage and explain it in simple terms. Mayhem does that quite well (show a dramatized situation and make the point that "your 15 minute insurance probably won't cover this . . . ), and Dennis Haysbert is probably the best spokesman in the industry. Progressive is entertaining, but silly. I'm not sure I want a silly insurance agent. Geico, General, Farmer's and State Farm are stupid. I'm sure I don't want a stupid insurance agent.
Couldn't agree more. I think Dennis Haysbert does an excellent job of promoting Allstate. I remember State Farm ads used to be a lot more professional at one time.

In any economy, auto insurance is an expense and I surely would not want something that represents themselves as silly.
Old 10-07-11, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

IMO, one of the worst features of insurance-ads is that EVERYBODY promises to save you an average of $400-600 AND give you great coverage/service at the same time. Fine....but SOMEBODY (and maybe everybody) HAS to be lying. They can't ALL save you the same amount and give you the same level of coverage. Yes, insurance rates depend on many factors (age, sex, place of residence, driving-/accident record, type of car you drive, depreciation, discounts you qualify for, etc...). But, nevertheless, the principle is the same....EVERYBODY can't outdo EVERYBODY else. Somebody is lying.

(case in point...............I have a GEICO policy, with good service/coverage, for less than $600 a year. I pay less than $300 every 6 months. There is no way, despite the TV-hype and smooth-talk, that any of those companies are going to save me $400-600 and give me what I have now.)

If truth-in-advertising was a legal issue, many of the people doing those ads would be locked up.
Old 10-07-11, 01:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, one of the worst features of insurance-ads is that EVERYBODY promises to save you an average of $400-600 AND give you great coverage/service at the same time. Fine....but SOMEBODY (and maybe everybody) HAS to be lying. They can't ALL save you the same amount and give you the same level of coverage. Yes, insurance rates depend on many factors (age, sex, place of residence, driving-/accident record, type of car you drive, depreciation, discounts you qualify for, etc...). But, nevertheless, the principle is the same....EVERYBODY can't outdo EVERYBODY else. Somebody is lying.

(case in point...............I have a GEICO policy, with good service/coverage, for less than $600 a year. I pay less than $300 every 6 months. There is no way, despite the TV-hype and smooth-talk, that any of those companies are going to save me $400-600 and give me what I have now.)

If truth-in-advertising was a legal issue, many of the people doing those ads would be locked up.
There's probably some fine print at the very bottom of the tv screen that I can't even make out that gets them off the hook.
Old 10-26-11, 06:50 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you guys seen the new or at least new here in VA Progressive insurance commercials promoting their "snapshot" program? I absolutely hate it! They offer to give their customers a device that plugs into the obd2 port for 6 months so they can create a "snapshot" of your driving and potentially save you 30 percent. How much privacy are drivers willing to trade for cheaper auto insurance?

Last edited by caymandive; 10-26-11 at 06:59 PM.