Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 09:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro

2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro

"Because "Pretty Damn Good" Is So Last Year"

Earlier this year, executive editor Chris Paukert and I were chatting one morning about the 2011 Audi A6 he was driving – a car that would soon be replaced with the sharp new 2012 model you see here. Of course, we discussed how the car's styling was growing a bit long in the tooth, but aesthetics aside, Paukert's overall impression of the 2011 A6 was that it was still "pretty damn good."

Fast-forward a few months, and I'm standing in front of the 2012 A6, its full-LED headlamps glaring at me, its new sheetmetal stretched over a more aggressively styled body, complete with new aluminum components that reduce overall weight. The engine, Audi's 3.0-liter supercharged V6, was carried over from the 2011 model, albeit fitted to a brand new eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission. And inside – oh, inside – is a suite of technologies that will embarrass the collective staff of an Apple store.

So, if the old 2011 model was "pretty damn good," this new 2012 model must be the bee's knees, right? Oh, is it ever.

Let's start at the beginning, or rather, the front, where our test car greeted us with Audi's latest lighting innovation – angular, full-LED headlamps in a style similar to what was first introduced on the A8 and then later used on the A7. The A6's eyes are arguably the most stunning of the bunch, with the nicest overall integration to the front fascia. We won't argue that the other two cars – the A7, specifically – aren't stunning beasts to behold, but there's something about the A6's front end that piques our interest the most.

A quick word about those headlamps – you may notice that some A6 models have what appear to be blank placeholders for fog lights in the lower air intakes, but in reality, it's all a façade. Those are instead the sensors for the adaptive cruise control, and with the optional full-LED lighting system, traditional fog lights aren't available. "With really good headlights, you don't need fog lights," one Audi representative told us.

The rest of the A6's exterior design is simple seductiveness, with shorter front and rear overhangs compared to the 2011 model. That's thanks to a nearly three-inch-longer wheelbase, but an overall length that has actually been shortened minimally. The wider and lower stance of the 2012 model gives it a more enthusiastic aura than the old car, too, and when fitted with the 19-inch alloy wheels of our test car, the end result is an Audi that's chock full of curb appeal. Fit your A6 with the S-Line kit and optional 20-inch rollers and you'll have a car that mimics the upcoming S6 in terms of overall presence.

Around back, the LED headlamps are mimicked with full-LED taillamps that are, again, similar to what you'll see on the Big Daddy A8. S-Line models like our test car get a unique diffuser with dual exhaust tips, and even the subtle, thin red taillamp running lights add a touch of elegance and exclusivity to the A6's rump. Pull up behind one on the road at night and you'll know exactly what's in front of you.

Inside, the cabin is typical Audi goodness, with a sophisticated overall style and fine materials that blend together nicely. Truthfully, we admit that we don't love the glossy wood finish found in our test car, only because we've fallen head-over-heels in love with the natural wood grain available in the A7 and A8. Audi offers the natural wood console inlays as a no-cost option, and if you insist on having wood rather than brushed aluminum, trust us, you'll want the natural, matte finish stuff. It really classes up the joint.

The real pièce de résistance, though, is the amount of technology that's crammed into the A6. Here you'll find Audi's second-generation MMI infotainment system, complete with a touch pad for alphanumeric input (see Rex Roy's first drive for the full demonstration), Google Earth-based navigation and even a mobile wireless hotspot, so you can do as we did, and let your passenger surf the Internet on an iPad while cruising through town. The Jetsons may have had flying cars, but even those didn't have Web connectivity.

The 2012 A6 is powered by the same supercharged 3.0-liter V6 as the previous model, boasting 310 horsepower at 5,500 RPM and 325 pound-feet of torque available as low as 2,900 RPM. In this 4,045-pound sedan with Quattro all-wheel drive, that supercharged force is good for a 0-60 time of just 5.3 seconds with a top speed of 130 miles per hour (electronically limited, of course). Compared to a heavier, less-powerful BMW 535i xDrive, the Audi will reach 60 mph a full three-tenths of a second quicker.

Right now, the supercharged six is the range-topping powertrain in the A6 lineup. Audi offers a 211-hp, 258-lb-ft version of its well-known 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder as well, and – pay close attention here – a 3.0-liter turbo-diesel V6 will be offered in the A6 in the not-too-distant future. We're stoked for the oil-burning powerplant to make its way Stateside, but in the meantime, we have nothing bad to say about the supercharged unit currently offered.

We continue to be impressed by the fantastic linearity of this 3.0 TFSI engine, and its similarities to that of a naturally aspirated V8 are uncanny. Plenty of power is available throughout the entire rev range, and the eight-speed Tiptronic unit keeps the car right in its sweet spot of about 3,500 RPM when you're seriously hustling along long stretches of two-lane backroads. Around town and while highway cruising, the automatic is happy to shift up as soon as it can, but is quick to fire off downshifts the moment your right foot digs back into the throttle. Be nice, and you'll have no problem matching the EPA fuel economy ratings of 19 miles per gallon in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. Audi estimates a conservative 22 mpg combined figure, but our numbers were closer to 23.5 after a week of mixed driving.

The beautiful thing about the A6 is how nimble it feels on the road. A comparable BMW 5 Series is almost 200 pounds heavier than the 3.0T Quattro A6, and it's really quite noticeable. The A6 feels like a larger A4 rather than a smaller A8, and by contrast, feels more akin to a BMW 335i than its direct competitor, the 535i. No, no, no – the A6 is not nearly as sure-footed as a 3 Series, but when it comes to things like steering and balance, we'd take the A6 over the 5 Series, no questions asked.

Speaking of which, Audi's Drive Select system allows you to alter just how much involvement you want with things like steering, suspension and drivetrain. After playing with this system for hours to find our perfect combination, we preferred to leave the chassis and steering in Dynamic mode, but kept the engine in its automatic setting, since we didn't want to outright slaughter our fuel economy numbers. Like we said, the 3.0-liter super-six is fantastic on its own, and doesn't need to be shifting and revving all of the time in order to produce a great driving experience. In Dynamic mode, the steering loses the Audi-typical dead on-center feel, and its levels of feedback and directness are top notch.

If a 5 Series is on your shopping list, you really want to drive the A6 before plunking down the cash. The BMW is a fantastic car from behind the wheel, but seriously, this Audi is class-leading stuff.

If you are buying, the cost of entry is $41,700 for the 2.0T Premium model, or in the case of our top-trim 3.0T Prestige, $56,780. Tick every option on the order form and you'll be sailing just over $67,000. That might seem like a lot, but a fully decked-out 535i xDrive will run you close to 70 large, too.

The 2012 A6 is simply another chapter in Audi's aggressive product rejuvenation strategy, spearheaded by the A8. We've only had nice things to say about it, the A7, and now the A6, and frankly, this car isn't just "pretty damn good" anymore. It's better.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...photo-4497422/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/04/2...uattro-review/
Old 10-04-11, 10:59 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The profile pic with these ugly wheels is not very flattering; add a price tag of 70K loaded, I'm not sure why would anyone pick such a generic looking car over a Jaguar XF.
Old 10-05-11, 04:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I absolutely love the '12 A6 but that at least $65+K list the way I would want it is a bit much.
I've heard the discounting is very low on the '12's at least at this point.Dealers don't have many in stock.
I'd choose an A6 over a Jag,Max.
Old 10-05-11, 08:06 AM
LexFather

I have minimal interest in a FWD based car and who's idea of style is funky headlights and LED tails while the car resembles any A3/A4/A5/A6/A8 made the last 30 years. Its as vanilla and bland as a Camry. 41k for a 4 cylinder A6 and then 70k loaded? Am I missing something?

That said Audi is simply on a roll and I figure most sold will be base 4 cylinders under 50k. The last gen S6 I drove was one of the best all around drives ever for me so I look forward to the new S6.

Maybe that is what I am looking for.

Old 10-05-11, 01:21 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All Audi look the same now.
Old 10-06-11, 12:30 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the interior doesnt help
Old 10-06-11, 06:31 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have minimal interest in a FWD based car and who's idea of style is funky headlights and LED tails while the car resembles any A3/A4/A5/A6/A8 made the last 30 years. Its as vanilla and bland as a Camry. 41k for a 4 cylinder A6 and then 70k loaded? Am I missing something?
Great post For beginners, nevermind the price spread... $40k+ for a 4 cylinder FWD sedan? Really? Who the hell buys that? At that price the TL offers a V6 and AWD.

Last edited by T0ked; 10-06-11 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 06:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I priced one out on Edmunds and with the Prestige pkg below and the 19" Sports pkg,the sticker was under $60K list which really isn't bad for the car..
If you add $6K for the Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System and another $5800 for the Adaptive cruise control,night vision LED headlights,then you're over the $70K mark.

18" V-spoke-design wheels with 245/45R18 all-season tires; MMI Navigation plus; Audi Connect with 6-month complimentary trial period data contract includes voice-activated Google Earth navigation, Google Local search, Real time Sirius traffic with 3-month complimentary subscription, myAudi destinations and rolling wi-fi hotspot; 6-disc CD changer located in glovebox; Power, heated, auto-dimming, manual folding exterior mirrors with memory; HD radio; MMI touch and Jukebox; Front and rear acoustic parking sensors; Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights; Four-zone automatic climate control with rear air controls; Advanced keyless entry; Adaptive headlights; LED ambient lighting plus; Bose Sound system including 630-watt 5.1 surround sound, 14 speakers and AudioPilot that adjusts volume as speed changes; Front seat ventilation; Power adjustable steering column; Cornering lights; S-line exterior bumpers and grille
Old 10-06-11, 07:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THIS

Judging by the reviews, the new A6 sounds like a great car overall. They must be selling relatively well because I've already seen a few on the road...but therein lies my problem. When I see one of these cars, every time has been a double-triple-quadrouple take of "Is that an A4? An A7? The new A8?"

Furthermore, I quite frankly think Audi is insane charging $42K for this car in FWD 4 cylinder guise. Add even a few decent options, and you're looking at close to $50K OTD for something with an engine isn't necessarily smooth, quiet, or powerful. No thanks.

The last part of my dislike for this car is completely personal taste, but I find the interior to be a disaster. For a long time, I liked Audi interiors but the changes that they have made with this last generation of cars really does not appeal to me. My boss has a Q5 which I have discussed several times, but I see the same ugly shapes and disjointed flow in this interior, the A8, A7, etc.

I can appreciate Audi's effort to innovate in this area, but the SHAPES are ugly to me. The lower part of the dash looks like it was pulled from a BMW and the upper part looks like a bunch of random wood pieces and AC vents that someone through at a wall while blindfolded. I don't see any cohesion in the design and each element looks very "seperate"...look at how the passenger side AC vent looks "off in space" compared to the wood trim next to it. The shifter is a horrible eyesore. The list goes on.

I look at the A6 and respect what Audi did with the car, but for me, the bland exterior, disjointed and unattractive interior, and price are deal breakers.
Old 10-06-11, 08:20 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i'd rather get the S4 for the same price if not cheaper, but with a whole lot more personality.
Old 10-06-11, 09:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S4 is ~$60-65K when reasonably equipped. For that, I'd rather have a C63 or ISF, or save some cash and get a new GS350.
Old 10-06-11, 11:19 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

$60-$70k fully loaded?? Wow, that is M3, IS-F, C63 territory. This would be a tough sell at that pricepoint.
Old 10-06-11, 01:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How the hell do they make FWD/FWD based AWD cars with the engine not being sideways?
Old 10-06-11, 06:30 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
How the hell do they make FWD/FWD based AWD cars with the engine not being sideways?
It was done before with the Acura Legend and Acura Vigors. I think it was some convoluted design where the driveshaft goes through the oilpan or something crazy like that.
Old 10-06-11, 06:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think it was some convoluted design where the driveshaft goes through the oilpan or something crazy like that.
LMFAO.

VW excels at making convoluted clusterplucks

Quick Reply: Review: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro