Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 VW Passat

Old 07-28-11, 08:25 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The official reason (from what I heard from VW reps) is that market research told them that they did not need to keep them, noting that Toyota and Honda dropped Camry/Accord AWD and Wagon versions years ago, and have done well.

This is flawed logic on VW's part. First of all, one of the Passat's biggest selling points was that it offered things you couldn't previously get on a Camry or Accord, such as awd or a wagon. Also, Toyota does make a Camry wagon now.... it's called the Venza...and it is available with awd. Likewise, Honda makes an Accord wagon (Crosstour). Oh, and by the way, the wagon accounts for a good 20% of total Jetta sales.
Old 07-28-11, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
This is flawed logic on VW's part. First of all, one of the Passat's biggest selling points was that it offered things you couldn't previously get on a Camry or Accord, such as awd or a wagon. Also, Toyota does make a Camry wagon now.... it's called the Venza...and it is available with awd. Likewise, Honda makes an Accord wagon (Crosstour). Oh, and by the way, the wagon accounts for a good 20% of total Jetta sales.
I agree. You're preaching to the choir on this one. Auto-marketers can drive me up the wall. Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan, boozing and doping, sometimes talk more sense.
Old 07-29-11, 08:07 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The looks of this car remind me of the b5 passat, the one from98- 03 i think it was, really squared off and a little boring. I loved the last generation passat and did consider buying one, now it just seems lacking
Old 07-29-11, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gray_es300
The looks of this car remind me of the b5 passat, the one from98- 03 i think it was, really squared off and a little boring. I loved the last generation passat and did consider buying one, now it just seems lacking
Yes, it is a little lacking in some areas, but not a bad car, and generally a pleasure to drive.
Old 07-30-11, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews:

2012 Subaru Impreza
2012 Toyota Camry XLE or Hybrid
2012 Ford Escape
Old 07-30-11, 10:21 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Next planned reviews:

2012 Subaru Impreza
2012 Toyota Camry XLE or Hybrid
2012 Ford Escape
I would suggest you add the Prius V to this list.
Old 07-30-11, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I would suggest you add the Prius V to this list.

I reviewed a 3Gen Prius V when it first came out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ota-prius.html

I had a lot of respect for the powertrain and its efficiency/refinement, but I wasn't very impressed with the rest of the car. Overall, I thought the 2Gen Prius was built more solidly, with better materials, although the new one, with its slightly stiffer suspension and tires, handled slightly better. But I pefered the softer ride of the old one, too.

(This was a controversial thead, BTW....not everyone agreed with my opinions) .
Old 07-30-11, 04:37 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

I reviewed a 3Gen Prius V when it first came out.
MMARSHALL - I was referring to the Prius V wagon which debuts in September (please see the pic below). The "V" stands for "versatility". Your review was on the Prius hatch where the "V" represents the trim level, which ranges from II (2) to V (5).
Attached Thumbnails MM Review: 2012 VW Passat-prius-v.jpg  
Old 07-30-11, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

MMARSHALL - I was referring to the Prius V wagon which debuts in September (please see the pic below). The "V" stands for "versatility". Your review was on the Prius hatch where the "V" represents the trim level, which ranges from II (2) to V (5).
OK....Thanks for clarifying that. I'll put the V wagon on the list.

The "V" designation for two different body-styles, though, is a little confusing. Toyota needs to consider re-naming the new wagon something else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-11 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 08:36 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Do an addendum with the tdi. A friend has a Jetta tdi/manual and gets 36 mpg in town and 44 on the hghway. She doesn't hypermile drive either, in fact she's kind of aggresive wiith shifts and acceleration.
Old 07-30-11, 08:48 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

The "V" designation for two different body-styles, though, is a little confusing. Toyota needs to consider re-naming the new wagon something else.
Agreed. Either rename the wagon, or change the names of the trim levels on the hatchback. Oh, and thanks for adding the Prius V to your review list.
Old 07-30-11, 08:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyjazz
Do an addendum with the tdi. A friend has a Jetta tdi/manual and gets 36 mpg in town and 44 on the hghway. She doesn't hypermile drive either, in fact she's kind of aggresive wiith shifts and acceleration.

Yes, I've already told another poster that I'd do a TDI Passat if possible. In the meantime, though, I've already reviewed several VW/Audi products with that engine.
Old 07-30-11, 08:54 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Thanks. I did notice you held it in high regards. I guess I'm really just interested in the spirit of the little deisel in a little heavier car as a DD.

Last edited by jimmyjazz; 07-30-11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 05:30 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

OK....Thanks for clarifying that. I'll put the V wagon on the list.

The proper name of the new Prius wagon in North America is "Prius v" (note the lower-case "v" which is usually italicized by Toyota). Unfortunately, the media very often gets it wrong, which adds to the confusion.

The trim levels for the Prius v will be named with numerical numbers (2, 3 and 5). I don't know if the original Prius' trim levels will be renamed from the current Roman numerals to match the new wagon's trim levels.
Old 07-31-11, 05:34 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I should have added my vote for reviews of the Prius v wagon and the new Camry Hybrid. I am very seriously considering a hybrid as a replacement for my wife's Civic or my Corolla.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Review: 2012 VW Passat