Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 VW Passat

Old 07-31-11, 05:55 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MM will you do more flagship reviews in the near future? Im interested in the S Class and the Jag XJ.
Old 08-01-11, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
MM will you do more flagship reviews in the near future? Im interested in the S Class and the Jag XJ.
Here's the current Jag XJ.....I did it last year.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...jaguar-xj.html

I traditionally do an expensive car for the special Annual Holiday review each December. If you can wait that long, I might (?) plan the S-Class for this December, but I can do one sooner than that if time is an issue....maybe even in the next week.

Here's some other Big-Money cars I've done in the last few years and recent past:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-tourismo.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-e63-amg.html

(A new E63 has come out since then)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...nvertible.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-panamera.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 11:13 AM
LexFather

VW has been unreliable for decades, period, end of story. They always rank near the bottom of any reliability survey.

I'm happy VW found a way to make the 1997 Camry and call it a Passat.

Old 08-01-11, 12:23 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it!
Old 08-01-11, 01:29 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the links MM.
Old 08-01-11, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
VW has been unreliable for decades, period, end of story. They always rank near the bottom of any reliability survey.
Mostly true, but a few VW models have made the CR Recommended list with at least an average reliability record, including a few Passats several years ago. In fact, CR once rated the Passat above both the Camry and Accord.

And AutoUnion is correct.....the Golf/Rabbit and Jetta have both been average or above in reliability the last couple of years, according to CR. CR is not perfect, but it is one of the best reliability sources I know of.

I'm happy VW found a way to make the 1997 Camry and call it a Passat.
Well, the '97 Camry certainly was a good car. And, Hey, for that matter, the 3Gen 1992-96 Camrys were even better......the best Camrys, IMO, that were ever built. :wink:
Old 08-03-11, 06:47 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Styling wise, vw had taken this car to a new level of mediocrity. I see nothing exciting here. How will they differentiate themself from segment leaders? I sat in the new Jetta and the interior was horrendous compared to the outgoing model. I hope that doesn't carry over to this car. It makes my mother's 07 Camry styling look very exciting.

And in terms of reliability, vw will have to pick it up if they really want to increase market share to meet their goals. My friend's passat blew two water pumps driving from SF to NY. It was 2 years old. 4 day trip took him 2 weeks.
Old 08-03-11, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
Styling wise, vw had taken this car to a new level of mediocrity. I see nothing exciting here. How will they differentiate themself from segment leaders?
Let's see how this version sells. It was designed specifically for the American market. A lot of Americans (and I'm one of them) like conservative styling.....we're not fans of the aero/Jelly-bean/space-ship look, and see a handsome design in what you consider "mediocrity".

I sat in the new Jetta and the interior was horrendous compared to the outgoing model.
I'll agree the new Jetta is downgraded in several areas (including the interior)compared to its predecessor, but VW freely admits that.....its aim was to keep costs down.

I hope that doesn't carry over to this car.
IMO, it hasn't....although I'm a little pi**ed that they took the wagon and AWD versions off the American market. There's not much excuse for that.

It makes my mother's 07 Camry styling look very exciting.
Once again, it gets back to a personal, subjective opinion of that is a nice design and what isn't.

And in terms of reliability, vw will have to pick it up if they really want to increase market share to meet their goals. My friend's passat blew two water pumps driving from SF to NY. It was 2 years old. 4 day trip took him 2 weeks.
Water-pump failures are not unheard of, but, in general, the traditional VW weak points are electronic wiring/bulbs/relays and hardware.