Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

'12 Honda CR-V revealed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 09:03 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If that's not a Kia Sportage, I don't know what is

Let's see:

Grille: Different (taken from Crosstour)
Headlights: Grille cuts into headlight shape. Sportage has sharper headlights.
C-Pillar: Completely different.
Rear Lights: From what we can glimpse, they are COMPLETELY different shapes.
Bumper: This is the only thing I can see that is similar between the two cars? The black trim in the bottom that wraps around the car is also similar, but I don't see it as Honda copying Kia as much as it is a attempt to make the previous CR-V's black (plastic?) trim look sleeker.
Side: Honda has creases at the door handles, the Kia has lines toward the bottom. Again, they give me a completely different vibe.
Overall shape of the car: Sportage is more aggressive. CR-V is aggressive-looking in the front but loses it with its big butt. No similarity other than they are both SUVs?

To me the Sportage looks better. The CR-V is a big improvement over Hondas, but I still don't think it's a homerun. I honestly don't see the Kia comparisons other than they are in the same segment. OMG two SUVs with sporty(ish) styling, Honda must be copying Kia!!1
Old 07-26-11, 04:55 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ the CUVs in those 2 pics are more alike than they are different, sorry to break it to ya
Old 07-26-11, 05:03 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

The Sportage has a cleaner and more integrated look. The CRV is a hodgepodge of different styling themes. Nonetheless, the CRV will continue to be the top seller in this segment.
Old 07-26-11, 06:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
The Sportage has a cleaner and more integrated look. The CRV is a hodgepodge of different styling themes. Nonetheless, the CRV will continue to be the top seller in this segment.
The upcoming Ford Escape replacement/Vertek has the chance to change this
Old 07-26-11, 07:34 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nonetheless, the CRV will continue to be the top seller in this segment.
Agreed. Whether you like it or not (I happen to like this one better than the current model), it will continue to have strong sales just because it has the H on the grille.
Old 07-27-11, 12:50 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I see these pictures and am happy i bought my wife a 2011. Holy crap thats weird looking.
Old 07-27-11, 05:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
Let's see:
Grille: Different (taken from Crosstour)
Headlights: Grille cuts into headlight shape. Sportage has sharper headlights.
C-Pillar: Completely different.
Rear Lights: From what we can glimpse, they are COMPLETELY different shapes.
Bumper: This is the only thing I can see that is similar between the two cars? The black trim in the bottom that wraps around the car is also similar, but I don't see it as Honda copying Kia as much as it is a attempt to make the previous CR-V's black (plastic?) trim look sleeker.
Side: Honda has creases at the door handles, the Kia has lines toward the bottom. Again, they give me a completely different vibe.
Overall shape of the car: Sportage is more aggressive. CR-V is aggressive-looking in the front but loses it with its big butt. No similarity other than they are both SUVs?

To me the Sportage looks better. The CR-V is a big improvement over Hondas, but I still don't think it's a homerun. I honestly don't see the Kia comparisons other than they are in the same segment. OMG two SUVs with sporty(ish) styling, Honda must be copying Kia!!1
great post.

agreed.

Originally Posted by replica
^ the CUVs in those 2 pics are more alike than they are different, sorry to break it to ya
hate to break it to ya, you need an eye test.
Old 07-27-11, 10:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2012 Honda CR-V prototype in crackup on PCH

2012 Honda CR-V prototype in crackup on PCH

It's an unfortunate reality of automotive transportation, but accidents are all too common. This one, however, appears to be anything but.

While merging onto California's legendary Pacific Coast Highway, one motorist/blogger was hit by another car. What makes the incident a little more out-of-the-ordinary is the vehicle that hit the blogger: the motorist in question was struck by a test mule for the new 2012 Honda CR-V, still wearing prototype camouflage and everything.

Given that the impacted CUV – which subsequently collided with several more oncoming vehicles – was a Toyota Highlander, and that a Lexus RX (whose platform it incidentally shares) was also part of the pileup, a small part of us can't help wonder if the Toyota vs. Honda rivalry hadn't spilled over from the Japanese boardrooms and dealer lots onto the streets of California. Thankfully, everybody appears to be okay, if a bit shaken up

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/27/2...rackup-on-pch/
Old 07-28-11, 09:25 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Sad to see what could happen in every day life...

But this Black TEST MULE was used to its full capacity!!!!

Totalled....

Looks like the 06' High Lander is totalled too.. The RX should be repairable..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-28-11 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 09:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

definitely a toyota vs. honda thing

Somewhat hard to tell, but was that mule trying to make an illegal left turn/U turn which caused the highlander to hit him?
Old 07-29-11, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Looks a bit less of a 'chick car'
Just another stereotype. Never was a so-called "Chick Car" to begin with. I've seen plenty of males driving them.....and there's a reason for that. Like the Outback, RAV-4, Forester, Outlander, Escape, etc...., it's a superb inexpensive daily-driver for those who need something versatile, roomy, reliable, and good for any weather.
Old 07-29-11, 10:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just another stereotype. Never was a so-called "Chick Car" to begin with. I've seen plenty of males driving them.....and there's a reason for that. Like the Outback, RAV-4, Forester, Outlander, Escape, etc...., it's a superb inexpensive daily-driver for those who need something versatile, roomy, reliable, and good for any weather.
Nah Mike,like a Miata,the Beetle,the CR-V and some other vehicles are definitely 'chick cars'.
Hell,I've owned a few myself that the wife and I drove.IS250,RX350,RAV4,CR-V...
Old 08-03-11, 07:05 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Between the color, wheel design, similarity of the front bumper, this picture of the sportage and the crv are similar. You've got to be blind or very determined to not see it. Sorry.

I'd also take the sportage between the two. The main problem with the crv is that for the price, it is under powered and new competitors offer much more for less.
Old 08-04-11, 01:42 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not bad, but it looks a little... stodgy?