Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Convertible for Under $15k?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 09:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By the way, why a convertible?

Convertibles aren't the most rational choice of transportation due to cost, insurance, safety, utility, and maintenance.

Do you want it just to have wind in your hair and sun in your face, or because you want something light and sporty?

The car you get depends on what it's for...
Old 07-15-11, 10:31 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Convertibles aren't the most rational choice of transportation due to cost, insurance, safety, utility, and maintenance.

Do you want it just to have wind in your hair and sun in your face, or because you want something light and sporty?

So are motorcycles
Old 07-15-11, 10:27 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2001 Solara vert owner for 5 years. Bought it $17k at the time with uber low mileage, pristine condition, and an auto transmission. Never had any problem with that car. Smiled ear to ear every time I dropped the top. Used it heavily, after 5 years the rag top started to leak. It was when the estimated cost of replacement came out to be $1800 did I sell it.

The 2001 Solara was a great looking car with classy, plush interior, excellent paint job, wheels, and a surprisingly great sound system. A 4 seater that is practical and versatile-- pop it and you almost got yourself a pickup. Reasonable mileage, decent v6 power that breathed good pick up and passing ability into the car, but it did have certain degree of "boaty" body roll that you might not be willing to tolerate.

Bear in mind the wind noise of a soft top while traveling on the freeway, after a while, can get to you. For me, it was one of the main reasons that finalized the selling decision.

Be warned that once you go topless....
Old 07-16-11, 01:53 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I recommend getting an SC430, MR2, C5 Corvette, or an S2000. They're all great cars.

The convertible 350z's are pretty cool too, but I wouldn't buy it. I learned how to drive stick on my step-brother's 6-speed 350z a few months ago and it was a lot of fun. It was really quick. The interior was nice, but it was insanely small. If you're taller than five feet, it's extremely uncomfortable.
Old 07-16-11, 07:49 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 350Z is a nice car, but it has a small interior and a bit heavy. I think the best bang for the buck 2 seat convertible out there right now is the MX-5 Miata. They handle really well and their manual transmissions are great. The downside of these cars is that it they have the stigma of it being a chick car, but it's nothing a good body kit and wheels can't fix!!
Old 07-16-11, 11:05 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Something light and sporty, quick, and fun. I've always been a fan of Large Sedans (Dream Car='07-'09 LS460L), so I wanted something completely different to be like a weekend, summer, warm/cool night ride to have.

Plus, with the car being light, it will be decent on gas; better than the 20mpg I'm getting in my ls.

I don't want an American car.

I want something reliable, fun, decent gas mileage, and inexpensive. I don't mind so much about Manual, I guess I need to learn it one of these days; even though it will be obsolete in like 20 years...

But I do prefer an Automatic car.
Old 07-16-11, 11:21 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you've got all kinds of ideas here. Go for some test drives and decide what you like best. Then find the right car for you. A car like a Miata will fit your criteria (it certainly is better with a manual transmission), but you may find the cabin too tight and the car just too low to comfortably enter / exit. My wife owned a 92 and it was a great weekend car. However, if we stilled owned it I'd be cursing every time I had to enter or exit that low car - especially if the top was up.
Old 07-17-11, 06:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Something light and sporty, quick, and fun.

But I do prefer an Automatic car.
So, let's get rid of hardtop convertibles (too heavy). Two-seaters preferably over four-seaters. RWD preferably over FWD.

You're gonna be looking at the S2k, Miata, MR2 Spyder. If you add Americans, add the Saturn Sky & Pontiac Solstice to the list. You can go for a FWD four-seater like a Mini Cooper if you'd like.

All other cars such as 'Stangs, Bimmers, VWs, Solara, SC430, and such will all be heavier, more expensive, higher insurance, and not quite as agile.