Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Kia Optima

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2011 Kia Optima

A Review of the 2011 Kia Optima

http://www.kia.com/#/optima/explore

IN A NUTSHELL: A previously-forgtten mid-size sedan that has finally come of age.....and come of age it has.

At the Washington, D.C. Auto Show in January, GM and Kia not only had indoor show displays, but, for the first time I can remember, also had a limited test-drive circuit set up for certain of their models around the local city streets near the Convention Center where the show was being held (on somewhat torn-up pavement, of course, like most of the streets in D.C.). GM had a choice of about 8 or 9 newer models for their test-drives......it was basically show them your valid Drivers' License, take a quick puff on the Breathalyzer to make sure you weren't drunk, reserve the car (or cars) you wanted, and go. I chose the new Buick Regal and Chevy Cruze, as I had not yet sampled either one. A quick run around local city streets for 10 or 15 minutes, of course, is not enough experience with the car for a review, so I didn't formally write them up, but it does give you a brief feel for what the car is like in city/suburban driving. Kia also had the same local test-drive circuit set up (and was giving out free Kia gifts with them), but only for the new Optima sedan, so, of course, I signed up for that, too. I had looked at the new Optima on the showroom floor inside and had been impressed with at least some things with it. I decided, after the test-drives, to do full reviews on both the Regal and Optima (and, possibly, later on, for on the Cruze), as I found both of them quite interesting and quite different from typical Buick and Kia sedans of the past. In fact, the new Optima is quite similiar to the new Regal in many ways....size, body-styling, general price range (the Buick runs a little more, but not that much), powerplant options, transmissions, and even interiors. Both cars, IMO, are worthy of full-write-ups, so here you are......I'll do the Optima now, and the Regal (probably) next.

Kia, despite being a rather large company headquarted in South Korea, has not exactly been a household word in the U.S. until fairly recently, and, even now, does not carry quite the same name-recognition with Americans as big, established brands like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, etc.....do. I get my share of new-car questions from people, and, if (or when) I mention a Kia product, sometimes the reaction is...."a KIA WHAT? I've never heard of that" (All the more reason, of course, to tune in to a good auto magazine or a good auto-forum like our own CAR CHAT).

Kia, of course, not only sold vehicles for years in the U.S. under its own nameplate, but also built a number of small sedans and hatchbacks in conjunction with GM, Ford and Mazda, which were sold under those company-nameplates. Some of those Kia-built vehicles were fairly decent small products, like the Ford Festiva/Aspire and Mazda 121. Others, like the ill-fated late-1980/early-90s Pontiac Lemans, were pretty much junk. Consumer Reports, until fairly recently didn't think much of Kia products, giving most of them low road-test and reliability ratings. That began to change, though, when the company was bought out by its sister Korean Hyundai firm, which itself, for years, had been saddled with a negative image in the U.S. (and not undeserved). Hyundai execs, with their company being the target of late-night jokes on the Letterman and Jay Leno shows, decided to do somthing about that negative image once and for all......and, of course, the rest is history, which I don't need to go into in great detail here. Hyundai rose to become one of the world's largest automakers today, vastly increasing the quality and desirability of their products while doing so. In buying out the Kia firm, they also strongly increased the quality of Kia products as well, and, today, Kia and Hyundai products share much of the same platforms, drivetrains, and technology.

Kia's American-market products also, of course, share the same superb 10/100 drivetrain warranty and 5/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty that parent Hyundai vehicles do. Kia's acceptance with the American public has grown, along with the quality of its vehicles, althouth, like Hyundai, depreciation of its vehicles is generally greater than average, and resale value lower than average for comparable makes. This, of course, is because the average car-buyer is still generally more likely to look, new or used, at a Toyota Corolla/Camry/RAV-4/Highlander or a Honda Civic/Accord/CR-V/Pilot than it is a Kia Rio/Spectra/Optima/Sportage/Sorento.

So, of course, for some time, mid-sized Kia sedans, including the previous Optima, have lurked in the shadow of the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, the fast-rising Ford Fusion, and, of course, even its brother (and also fast-rising) Hyundai Sonata. Optimas, by doing so, have been relative bargains in both the new and used-car market. Its reliability record, According to Consumer Reports, was very poor for the 2006 model year, but quite good for 2007, even better for 2008, and then back down to average for 2009 (not enough reliability-data is out there for the 2010 model yet). The 2011 model, of course, is all-new, and long-term reliability (as with the last-generation 2010 model) remains unknown.

For 2011, five versions of the Optima are offered in the American market.....a base LX Manual-Transmission, an LX automatic, EX, EX Turbo, and SX. Non-turbo models get a normally-aspirated 2.4L in-line four with 200 HP and 186 ft-lbs. of torque. EX Turbo and SX models get a smaller but turbocharged 2.0L four with 274 HP and 269 ft-lbs. of torque.....essentially the same engines as in the new corporate-brother Hyundai Sonata. Also, like with the new Sonata, there is no V6. Base LX Manual Optima models get a 6-speed manual transmission; the others get a 6-speed Sport-Shift automatic. Also like on the new Sonata, a four-cylinder hybrid model will be offered.....but, according to the Kia web site, the Optima version will not be available until June of 2011. Base prices run from $18,995 for the LX Manual to $25,995 for the SX....Hybrid pricing is not on the Kia website yet. One thing that I like about the new Optima's marketing, and something that very few auto manufacturers do, is offer the turbo powerplant without the firmer-riding Sport suspension. On the EX Turbo, it comes only with the standard suspension...to get the Sport suspension, you have to move up to the top-line SX. I like that.... I wish more manufacturers would do that. I tend to like some power with vehicles, but without the firmer ride that often comes with it.

So, because of that policy, and the fact that few automakers do that, I decided, for the full-review, to check out the EX Turbo model...the one with the high-zoot engine and the standard suspension. Last night, before I went to bed, I did an inventory-check on the Internet for EX Turbo models at the local Kia shops near my house. I found two of them...or, at least, two that were still listed on the dealer web-sites. So, I figured I could go look at at least one of them this morning. I figured wrong. I was in for quite a surprise, and I had no idea what the market was for Turbo Optimas.

So, as usual, I got up this morning, had my usual beverages and medications, did my morning trek on the treadmill, took a quick dip in the indoor pool, and headed down to one of the two local Kia shops that (supposedly) had the EX Turbo I was looking for....the closest Kia shop to my house. I get there, park, get out of my car, start looking through the rows of parked Optimas....no EX Turbo model. A salesman comes out.....I ask him where it is. "Oh", he says. "Yes, it was on the website, but we sold it last night". He asks me if I want to look at a top-line SX Turbo instead (they had 3 of them, one a beautiful bright-blue sample in the showroom. I say no thanks......I wanted the turbo engine with the standard chassis, and that meant only the EX Turbo. He tries everything under the sun (typical sales-jargon) to keep me there. Well, I wasn't gong to waste either his time or mine any longer, so I thanked him for his help, got back in my Subaru, and hopped on down the road to the next-closest Kia shop to my place...the same Kia shop, BTW, where my brother had bought his new Soul (I had helped him shop, of course). It was just a few miles away, so I didn't use much $4-a-gallon gas getting there. So, again, I get there, park, start looking through the rows of parked Optimas.....and, again, no EX Turbo. I was starting to get irked. The Sales Manager came out, and I asked him where the one EX Turbo was (the one that was on the website). He glanced at me with a sheepish look on his face, and before he could answer, I said....."Don't tell me.....You sold it last night". He said "Yep.......you wouldn't believe how quick the Turbo models go." I asked him if he had any top-line SX Turbo models in stock, and unlike the other shop, he said no....THEY had all sold out, too.

So, there I was....stuck in a lot-full of Optima non-turbos. But, then, I took a second look at the specs for the non-turbo four (its 200 HP and 186 ft-lbs. of torque didn't look bad at all). I saw that the non-turbo models in stock all had rather attractive prices, and I saw that neither the turbo or the non-turbo fours needed premium gas (which is important, with gas prices being where they are). So I decided not to waste the trip, and, instead of my original plans for an EX Turbo, to check out an LX automatic model there instead. Besides, I already had plans to come back later and look at the Optima Hybrid when it comes out this summer.....I'll check out a EX Turbo then, if they have one.

It was a good decision. Not only was the 200 HP non-turbo four not a slouch my any means (even with the automatic transmission), having enough power to easily get out of its own way, but the one I test-drove (at the dealer's suggestion) listed for only $24,585. That included the 6-speed automatic, NAV, the Tech Package, Convienience Package, all of the usual safety and traction-aids, and an upgraded Infinity stereo. It was a nice Titanium-looking metallic color called Satin Metal, with a two-tone Sand/Black cloth interior. I was very pleased with this car, especially for the price, and, if I was in the market right now for a FWD mid-sized sedan, I would have seriously considered buying it (though I'd want one in a brighter color and without NAV). I was far more pleased and impressed with this Optima than I was with its corporate-brother Hyundai Sonata when I reviewed a new Sonata last year. But, unfortunately, Kia and Hyundai don't make any American-market AWD sedans/wagons, including the Optima (only SUVs), to compete with Subaru....and I'm an AWD fan.

So then, yes, I'm pleased with the new Optima, despite a few small things I'd like to see changed. You can see that from the rather short list of MINUSES I posted below, and the significantly longer list of PLUSSES. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Kia Optima LX Automatic

BASE PRICE: $20,495

OPTIONS:

NAV/Tech/Infinity Stereo Package: $2700

Convienience package: $600

Carpeted Floor Mats: $95

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $695 (less than average for a mid-sized car; another bargain)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $24,585

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transverse-mounted, 2.4L Direct-Injected in-line 4, 200 HP @ 6300 RPM, Torque 186 Ft-lbs. @ 4250 RPM, 6-speed Sportshift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 24 City/ 34 Highway (same for the Turbo)

EXTERIOR COLOR: Satin Metal Metallic

INTERIOR: Sand-Beige/Black Cloth

PLUSSES:

A superb value for the price.

Better (IMO), less In-Your-Face styling than on its corporate-brother Hyundai Sonata (but styling, of course, is subjective).

Long Hyundai/Kia 10/100 and 5/60 warranties.

Smooth, quiet, and refined non-turbo four-cylinder has some spunk.

Both turbo and non-turbo engines require regular gas (Kia says NOT to use premium).

Smooth, quiet, silky-shifting 6-speed automatic transmission.

Nice fore/aft transmission shifter-motion has no annoying zig-zag.

Butter-smooth but positive shifter-action.

Quick steering response.

Butter-smooth power steering action.

Firm-feel power steering not overboosted like on many vehicles.

Very firm, butter-smooth, German sports-sedan-like brake-pedal action.

Generally good road/wind/tire-noise isolation.

Arctic-grade air-conditioning.

Good, but not tank-solid sheet-metal.

Fairly solid-closing dors/hood/trunk lid.

Good-quality, well-fitted exterior hardware.

Excellent paint jobs....even in black.

Some nice-looking paint colors.....even some of the duller shades.

Side-mirror-mounted turn-signals.

Comfortable, supportive front seats.

Handsome-looking, durable-feeling seat fabric.

Good front and rear headroom.

Nice soft fabric for headliner/sun visors.

Adequate rear legroom for taller persons...but a little tight on foot room.

Comfortable-to-hold steering wheel rim.

Good-quality interior hardware and compartment-locks.

Clear, easy-to-read gauges.

Great stereo-sound quality.

Simple, well-finished, easy-to-use *****/controls.

NAV/video-screen controls easier to use than with most systems.

Nicely-padded dash/door-panel surfaces.

Nice, rich, high-quality interior-trim materials for the price (but no wood trim except for EX Turbo).

Rear seats fold for added cargo space.

Generally well-finished cargo area.

Cargo net in the trunk.

MINUSES:

New model.....Long-term reliability unknown.

Potential depreciation unknown.

Wood-tone trim available only on EX models.

Peek-a-Boo rear vision from drivers' seat.

No body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection..

Temporary spare tire in the trunk.

Awkward step-on parking brake.

Rather tight rear footroom for large shoes.

Smallish-size trunk lid from raked rear-roofline.

Bright blue paint color available only on SX model...a needless restriction.

Plastic engine-cover blocks access.

EXTERIOR:

Although the new Optima is not necesarily the best-looking sedan I've seen, it's FAR better-looking, IMO, in my opinion, than its brother Hyundai Sonata, though, of course, styling is objective and subject to personal tastes. Still, I think that this is what the new Sonata should have been, and wasn't. The slightly bone-shaped grille has a nice chrome-trim edge and flat-black mesh-insert....the same mesh-pattern also sticks down under the front bumper. All Optima versions except the base LX Manual have nice-looking (though different-shaped) alloy wheels....the base Manual has silver-plastic wheel-covers. LX models get something you don't see much of anymore...65-series tires for ride comfort, though the rather firm spring/shock rates (even on the standard suspension) dampen out some of that ride comfort (more on that below). The Panoramic sunroof panels on some models give much of the exterior of the roof a smoky-black look. The rakish rear-roofline does cut into the size of the trunk-lid some, but, interestingly, not the rear-seat headroom....again, more on that below. The exterior sheet metal is not the most tank-solid I've seen, but feels reasonably strong. The doors, hood, and trunk-lid all shut with a reasonably solid "thunk". The twin side-mirrors snap/swivel and lock smoothly and slickly, have reasonably solid-feeling plastic housings, and have integrated turn-signal indicators in them. The paint job was extremely well-done, almost to Lexus standards...even the black (a notoriously difficult color) had an almost complete lack of orange-peel. Nine different exterior colors are offered, and I liked the majority of them, and even the duller-looking shades didn't necessarily look like they belong to a funeral home like with a number of vehicles. The most eye-opening color was the bright Corsa Blue, but that is only available on the top-line SX model.....a needless marketing restriction, IMO. About the only other thing on the outside I didn't like was the lack of body-side mouldings........a cost-cutting measure that is becoming widespread on new models (IMO, a foolish measure). Still, aftermarket mouldings, sometimes color-matched, can be had for a few dollars at auto-parts stores......you just trim them and stick them on. I've done it myself, more than once.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the generally solid-feeling hood, and a single large gas strut on the left side holds the hood up...no fumbling around with manual prop-rods. Under the hood lies a nice insulation pad, and it does helps quiet the engine down some.......close to, but not quite Honda/Toyota 4-cylinder levels. The underhood layout was not the worst I've seen, but, for an in-line four, could have been a little better-done. The 2.4L Direct-Injected powerplant fits in a little on the snug side, and a big plastic engine cover on top of the engine blocks a good deal of access. There isn't much room down the sides of the block to reach things, either. Why Kia blocks things on the Optima with an engine-cover, I don't know.....it does not do so on a number of its other models. The battery is over to the right, uncovered and fairly easily-accessable. The filler-caps, dipsticks, and fluid-reservoirs are also easily accessable.

INTERIOR:

The interior is a pretty nice place to be, though I don't think much of the fact that only the EX versions get the option of wood-tone trim-inserts........another needless marketing restriction (SX models get carbon-fiber inserts, which are also nice). Still, and again, like on the exterior, I think that Kia did a far better job on the new Optima's interior than Hyundai did with the new Sonata. The front seats are comfortable and supportive, and the seat-fabric looks handsome and feels durable. The steering wheel, though having four spokes instead of the more-common (and sportier) three, looks nice, has the usual buttons/controls on the spokes, and has a comfortable-feeling rim to hold. The steering column has manual-adjusting tilt-telescope functions and moves easily.....something that some manually-adjusted columns don't always do. The primary gauges, set down in large chrome-ringed tunnels, are simple, clear, and easy-to-read. The buttons/*****/controls are generally easy to use, are reasonably solid-feeling, and clearly marked (I wish upmarket German interiors could have easy-to-use controls like that). Some of the ***** had nice chrome-rings on them. The optional NAV system, which my test-car had, seemed to have less-complex controls than in a number of other vehicles....but I still generally prefer control-set-ups without NAV systems, even in the Optima. The temperature was well up in the 80s, with some humidity, but the large, efficient air-vents (with comfortable, well-trimmed thumb-adjusters) and Arctic-grade air conditioning would satisfy a polar bear. Not long ago, only Toyota/Lexus and American-designed GM products had A/C this good, but the new Optima has apparantly joined the club. The optional Infinity stereo (which my car had) sounded great....yes, just perfect for some Motley Crue from 80s Heavy Metal (great music for great stereos). The stereo functions, of course, on the video-screen, were not as easy to adjust with the integrated NAV system controls as they would have been without them.....that's true of most vehicles. Overhead, the sun visors and headliner had a nice, pleasant-feeling and fairly soft fabric-covering.....many vehicles in this price range use cold, hard plastic for the visors. All of the interior hardware generally felt solid and of high-quality...the lock hardware for the console flip-compartment (a flimsy piece in many vehicles) felt especially solid. The parking-brake is a left-foot pedal that is rather awkward-to-use for big legs like mine....I generally prefer a console pull-up lever. Front-seat headroom was fine for tall people as long as you adjusted the seat-cushion down, and was also (despite the low, raked rear-roofline) good in back. Legroom was fine up front, and generally good in back, except that big feet/shoes like mine didn't have much footroom trying to get in and out of the rear. The upper-dash, door panels, and arm-rests all have nicely-padded, high-quality-feeling surfaces. Three leather and three cloth colors are offered. All in all, despite the lack of wood trim or carbon-fiber trim in the LX line, a great job on the interior.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The rakish, swept-back rear roofline does cut into the size of the trunk lid some, and that limits, to some extent, the size of bulky items that can be loaded into and out of the trunk, but, in general, is not too restrictive. The cargo area's room itself is certainly no Chevy Suburban, but, for the car's size, and shape of the rear-body, is not bad. Inside, the trunk is fairly well-finished, with a thin but plush-feeling black carpet-fabric on the floor and uncarpeted but fairly soft-feeling black material on the trunk walls. There is a cargo-net across the back to hold grocery-bags and other packages. The 60/40 rear seats, of course, fold down for added cargo space. I forgot to check for remote release levers at the back of the car, but some other Hyundai/Kia products have them (they weren't mentioned in the Optima's spec-list). Under the trunk floor is the typical (for today's cars) temporary spare tire and jack.....seems like, with very few exceptions, only purpose-built off-road-capable vehicles still get conventional spares.

ON THE ROAD:

On the LX models, you start up the 2.4L four with a traditional key and side-column igniton switch (EX/SX models get a push-button). The four comes to life with a goodly amount of smoothness/quietness and refinement, though perhaps not quite to Honda/Toyota levels. I had originally wanted to sample the turbo engine, of course, but this normally-aspirated four is no slug. Its 200 HP and 186 ft-lbs. of torque, at least with the car lightly-loaded, is clearly enough to get it out of its own way....in fact, in the lower gears, it will give you a significant shove in the back of your seat. I won't necesarily say that the turbo engine isn't needed (with some people, of course, they never get enough power), but this engine, IMO, is adequate for virtually all normal driving, especially on level surfaces. As revs build, it has a small amount of engine/exhaust noise, but still, by in-line Four standards, remains fairly refined. A high-mileage gas/electric hybrid version, of course, arrives in a couple of months.

The 6-speed transmission is a delight to use, despite the lack of column-shift paddles. The shifter action is fore/aft without annoying zig-zags, and the lever-action itself is firm but butter-smooth through the detents....sort of like on the Chevy Malibu. The lever has a short, stubby, sport-feel. The transmission itself is silky-smooth, quiet, versatile, and shifts seamlessly whether in manual or automatic-mode.

The standard chassis-tuning, even without the Sport suspension and with 65-series tires, rides just a little stiffer than I would normally like (many vehicles today do), but otherwise is a delight. The ride, though slightly stiffer than I would like, is not bad at all, and provides a good compromise with the handling. The steering response is quick and sport-like, even with the standard suspension, and there is little body roll. Steering feel is quite firm and butter-smooth...no squishy, over-boosted system here. Noise-control is also good, although the Optima is not luxury-car quiet. Only a fairly small amount of wind/tire/road noise filters into the cabin. The brake-pedal action and feel is outstanding (German-sports-sedan firm, with virtually no sponginess at all), though the brakes themselves take some pressure to respond....they don't quite stop with Porsche 911-type authority. The brake-pedal itself could be a little better-located, too...it is close to the gas pedal and a little high, allowing my big size-15 clown-shoe to hang up just a little on the pedal-edge going from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

Well, folks, by now, you probably get the impression that I liked this car.....and you're right. It is arguably one of the best Under-$25,000 sedans I've come across, especially from a drivers' point of view, where it will, IMO, give the Mazda6 a good run for the money.....and beat it in some areas. This is probably what a $20-25K BMW front-drive sedan would probably feel like if they sold one here. I was as pleased with this car as I was disappointed with its new brother the Sonata....both, of course, are done on the same platform. It has a value-price (turbo models, of course, run slightly higher), seems well-built, has a nice interior (especially in two-tone) despite the lack of wood-tone or carbon-fiber, steers and handles well, has a smooth, reasonably powerful, refined drivetrain, and, of course, best of all, has the Hyundai/Kia 10/100 and 5/60 warranties.

But, like with any vehicle, there are some flies in the ointment. Most of them are minor, and can be addressed by relatively small assembly-line changes and by better, less-restrictive cosmetic-marketing. But there are some significant ones. First, Turbo models are currently hard to get, and you can expect to have a rather hard bargin on them....and maybe a dealer mark-up. Kia officials, according to the dealers, are aware of the current turbo shortage (they vastly underestimated its popularity), and promise to step up production. The fact that the turbos don't use premium gas, of course, also increases their public-appeal. Second, this is an all-new and unproved design, though the previous Optima generally had a good reliability record after 2006. Third, Kias in general (and the Optima is no exception) are not known for low depreciation, so just how much of the original purchase price you'll get back in several years, when it's trade-in time, is questionable. Turbo models, though, could (?) end up bringing a good price as used-cars, since they are selling so briskly when new.....we'll just have to wait and see.

(BTW, I'm looking forward to the Buick Regal review, which will be coming up shortly. The new Regal and Optima are similiar in many ways, with similiar size, styling, and offering 4-cylinder-only FWD powertrains in N/A and turbo-form, though they come from two different manufacturers. It will be interesting to see how the Regal compares).

And, as always..........Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-26-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 08:53 PM
LexFather

Nice review Mike, these things are popping up all over Atlanta double parked with the wheels turned like its a bentley Seems your review aligns with what most have said, great mid-size car. Should make a lot of people happy.

It desperately needs the larger wheels though, it looks like crap with the base wheels like most new Hyundai/Kias.

Old 04-26-11, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice review Mike,
Thanks.

these things are popping up all over Atlanta double parked with the wheels turned like its a bentley
So it's selling down there, too. That shows it's not just a local thing in the D.C. area....this car has some real appeal.

Seems your review aligns with what most have said, great mid-size car. Should make a lot of people happy.
Unless one is hopelessly addicted to the big soft-riding sedans of the past, this car should indeed make one happy. Trouble is, there are still too many people going around saying........"A Kia WHAT"?

It desperately needs the larger wheels though, it looks like crap with the base wheels like most new Hyundai/Kias.
SX models, from the factory, get 225/45-18s, which may look better cosmetically, but I wouldn't want them on rough pavement.
Old 04-26-11, 09:08 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Kia rep told me that Kia has hired VW/Audi interior designer. It shows the interior looks really sharp for a car in this class.
Old 04-26-11, 10:31 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

My friend just got one, and he loves it. I have driven a few time and I am really impressed by it. Thoroughly and properly good car. KIA got everything right on this car. I'd take it over Camry or Accord if I were to buy one.

thanks for a great review.
Old 04-26-11, 10:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Is it just me, or do the rear seat cushions look a bit short? Seems like the car is built more for front comfort, and rear comfort being an afterthought. Not a big fan of the dash styling, and that front cupholder design is awfully cheap for its class.

Otherwise a decent-looking car, but long-term reliability of course remains uncertain.
Old 04-26-11, 10:46 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Is it just me, or do the rear seat cushions look a bit short? Seems like the car is built more for front comfort, and rear comfort being an afterthought. Not a big fan of the dash styling, and that front cupholder design is awfully cheap for its class.

Otherwise a decent-looking car, but long-term reliability of course remains uncertain.
Jump into this car, and then jump into the similarly priced Camry, or Altima. You will see what's cheap for its class.
Old 04-26-11, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The squared dash reminds me of several last generation GM full size trucks. I think it could be more modern and carlike. Otherwise, a good effort that should sell well.
Old 04-26-11, 11:07 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

I saw one of the Turbo's in the "rally blue" color yesterday, looks fantastic.
Old 04-26-11, 11:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
Jump into this car, and then jump into the similarly priced Camry, or Altima. You will see what's cheap for its class.

I was specifically talking about the cupholder design. With that said:

As you can see, the Camry has concealed cupholders, and not only that, but the cupholders have cinches which firmly hold containers in place. Clearly, there is no argument, the Camry has a superior front cup holder design.

Here we have the Altima front cupholder design. Not much better than the Optima design, but even so the Altima has concealed cupholders, which is still better than the Optima. Like the Optima though, there are no cinches to hold beverages in place.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The squared dash reminds me of several last generation GM full size trucks. I think it could be more modern and carlike. Otherwise, a good effort that should sell well.
I agree, that's also what I picture when I see that square dash. Maybe a minor complaint to some, but for me that dash shape would almost be a deal-breaker.
Old 04-27-11, 01:06 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Great review! I'm in Korea right now and I see this car everyday. Most of them are taxi's though . But I really like how it looks. Kia did a great job with this car.
Old 04-27-11, 04:27 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do really like the optima. looks like a pretty solid car to buy. more competition in the midsize sedan market is always good. nice review.
Old 04-27-11, 05:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice review as usual,Mike.
I looked at the top of the line model in pearl white with black pano roof close up at the NY show Monday.I was impressed.Fit and finish looked great.Rear roof at the rear window down to the trunk is nice.Double stitched leather.
Looked really nice except for the wheel which I feel are ugly.
Nice as it is for some reason I just can't buy a KIA at this point.
Old 04-27-11, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Is it just me, or do the rear seat cushions look a bit short? Seems like the car is built more for front comfort, and rear comfort being an afterthought.
Most mid-size and smaller sedans are like that. The rear seats tend to have smaller, less form-fitting cushions than those up front. For one thing, automakers generally design them for kids, figuring (correctly) that, except for some carpools, kids usually sit in back more than adults.

Not a big fan of the dash styling, and that front cupholder design is awfully cheap for its class.
The cupholders are made of durable-feeling material, though. Kia, in general, did not skimp much when it came to the interior materials they used in this car. And the hardware is first-rate.

The cup holder designs on the console, BTW, are not that much different from a number of other vehicles in this class.

Along wth depeciation, of course. Kias are not known for retaining a lot of their value. That could change, though, with the way the turbo Optimas are selling.
Old 04-27-11, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice review as usual,Mike.
Thanks.

I looked at the top of the line model in pearl white with black pano roof close up at the NY show Monday.I was impressed.Fit and finish looked great.Rear roof at the rear window down to the trunk is nice.Double stitched leather.
Looked really nice except for the wheel which I feel are ugly.
Nice as it is for some reason I just can't buy a KIA at this point.
No sense buying a Kia (or any other new car) right now if you don't need or want one.

I agree that the steering wheel would look better with three spokes instead of four. But, nevertheless, the LX non-leather-stitched version is comfortable to hold (I didn't try the leather-wrapped one), and its firm, butter-smooth steering feel is like that of a BMW.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-11 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Kia Optima