Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Volt brings down a house (that might be a possibility)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 02:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

A fire apparently reignited inside the battery of a new Chevrolet Volt car early Monday, less than five days after the Volt, an electric hybrid, was involved in a blaze that destroyed a Barkhamsted garage where it had been plugged in for recharging.
Representatives from General Motors, the vehicle's manufacturer plan, are scheduled to arrive in Barkhamsted this evening to examine the car, Baldwin said.
lol... GO GM GO!

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-h...,0,94353.story
Old 04-18-11, 05:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I just moved into a new house that has sprinkler systems for fire suppression in the garage and throughout the house. I guess its in case I own a Volt.
Old 04-18-11, 10:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I just moved into a new house that has sprinkler systems for fire suppression in the garage and throughout the house. I guess its in case I own a Volt.
The LAST thing you want around an electrical fire, particularly if it is caused by a short or overload, is water spraying on it. You might as well spray gasoline on it. Of course, we don't know if this fire was an electrical one for sure....see below.

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol... GO GM GO!

We don't know for sure if this actually WAS an electrical fire or not, or if it was caused by the Volt's power-draw overload. That is under investigation. So, I wouldn't point any fingers at GM just yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-18-11 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-18-11, 10:24 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
lol.... I didn't renew my Car&Driver/Motortrend subscription. I can't see a market for the Volt since most people in the city don't have a garage/own a house.

The fact "people rent a garage & secretly install the charging station", guess what will happen......
You can also find car news in the magical land of the internet
Old 04-19-11, 01:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The LAST thing you want around an electrical fire, particularly if it is caused by a short or overload, is water spraying on it. You might as well spray gasoline on it. Of course, we don't know if this fire was an electrical one for sure....see below.

We don't know for sure if this actually WAS an electrical fire or not, or if it was caused by the Volt's power-draw overload. That is under investigation. So, I wouldn't point any fingers at GM just yet.
would it be hard to actually read the articles?

New article I quoted specifically mentioned how fire in Volt's battery REIGNITED 5 days later.
Old 04-19-11, 07:41 AM
LexFather

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/18/g...let-volt-fire/
Our engineering experts have inspected the Chevrolet Volt severely damaged in a garage fire in Barkhamsted, CT. We believe the findings indicate the Volt was damaged by the fire, not the cause.

The garage and its contents, including the Volt and a hand-built Suzuki Samurai EV, were heavily damaged in last Thursday's fire.

While the Volt's battery pack sustained damage, it was not extensive enough or of the type that would suggest that it caused the fire. In addition, there is clear evidence based on moderate damage to the cordset and charging system that neither component caused the fire.

The vehicles had been left in the garage for investigators and insurers to review when a second incident occurred earlier today. Smoke was seen coming from the damaged Volt and the fire department responded quickly. We continue to support the department in its investigation, sending our experts back to Connecticut to continue working with fire marshals.

We've spent more than a decade developing the technology which went into Volt. As such, it has a wide range of active and passive safety systems to ensure our customers are protected.

The most important thing to remember is that everyone is safe and fire investigators are working diligently to determine the cause. We'll share more information as it becomes available.

Old 04-19-11, 07:55 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would it be hard to actually read the articles?

New article I quoted specifically mentioned how fire in Volt's battery REIGNITED 5 days later.
No need to be a douche.

There isn't anything in that article that states that the cause of the fire was the Volt.
Old 04-19-11, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,288 Likes on 1,492 Posts

^^ while the car itself may not have started the fire, i think the most likely cause though is that the immense power draw by the car overwhelmed an old house electrical system and caused a fire.
Old 04-19-11, 08:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
No need to be a douche.

There isn't anything in that article that states that the cause of the fire was the Volt.
uhm, REIGNITED FIRE was started from Volt battery back, 5 day after original fire.

Yes, its cause was Volt (of reignited fire).
Old 04-19-11, 08:12 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chargers are installed by professional electricians, why would a person buying it need to know anything?

There are Level 1 and Level 2 chargers. Level 1 chargers are simple plug types, up to 1.9Kw maximum. Level 2 are 240v 30 amps which means up to 7.2Kw and they require special installation by certified electrician. Many green states have subsidies for this.

So even if there is possibility for fire due to that Level 2 charger installation, it would be due to bad electrical installation which can happen due to anything.

If you think you will buy Lvl2 charger at home depot, load it to your truck and plug it into your wall, thats not how it works

:-)
The level one chargers are the problem.

It requires 15.8 amps to achieve 1.9Kw at 120 volts. That is pushing the limit of home electrical systems, especially if the house is old or if the system is not perfect.

Breakers in homes are typically 20 amps, which is the highest level of current that the system should be exposed to at any moment. However, the recommended sustained current is much less, often no more than 15 amps if you ask an electrician. The wiring throughout the entire circuit will get very hot at levels above 15 amps, especially over the course of 10 hours of constant current draw.

The fact that the car uses the garage plugs makes it even worse for a number of reasons. Garages are often not finished or insulated, meaning literally anything could be leaning on the wires. Also, it is not uncommon for exposed wires to be nicked or have the protective sheathing damaged by abrasion. In warm climates, the already hot garage just adds to the problem. Homeowners often modify the garage wiring, since they can see it and it looks easy to add more outlets. If they use subpar materials or make weak connections, that creates a hazard. Garages often have exterior lights on the same circuit, which are on at night.

All of these things add up to a serious danger involved in running a 16 amp current through the circuit for 10 hours straight, plus whatever else may be plugged in. Homeowners are often unaware of electrical system limitations and GM has really pushed the limits here.

If everyone had the 240 volt unit, it wouldn't be a problem. But by allowing people to just go home and plug the car into the wall, GM is creating a situation in which the safety of the buyers is dependent on the integrity of the home electrical system, which they cannot verify.
Old 04-19-11, 08:29 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uhm, REIGNITED FIRE was started from Volt battery back, 5 day after original fire.

Yes, its cause was Volt (of reignited fire).
That is a reignited fire after being in the original fire. Until there is actually a fire inspector's report this is all speculation. Like I said in my original post, this is no different than all of the hype surrounding the "unintended acceleration" with Toyota last year.

Who knows what happened to the battery packs when engulfed in flames to re-ignite? GM's engineers were puzzled by that to, from the article. Maybe after being placed inside a fire like that there were other chemicals or residue that interacted causing a chemical reaction that ignited?

Again, there is nothing in any article that has been posted or available so far that states that the Volt, it's battery pack or it's charging system caused the original fire.

This may still prove to be the case, or that it was the house's electrical system that couldn't handle the draw like Paul suggested.

I still find it ironic how people here are so quick to jump to conclusions when Toyota went through such a damaging year from speculation like this.
Old 04-19-11, 09:16 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
The level one chargers are the problem.
The fact that the car uses the garage plugs makes it even worse for a number of reasons... Homeowners often modify the garage wiring, since they can see it and it looks easy to add more outlets. If they use subpar materials or make weak connections, that creates a hazard. Garages often have exterior lights on the same circuit, which are on at night ...
My thoughts exactly. I know a lot of guys who have added outlets and lights to their garage without running another circuit. They figure they never run everything at once, so...