Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion Concept Car to debut in New York 4/20/11 (FT86)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 06:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
scion is still toyota. mechanicals are still toyota.

as far as driving experience, it shouldn't matter what the badge says.

but it would definitely be nice for toyota to add back the sport image, after removing the supra and celica.
I tire of people acting like badge doesn't count like they drive Geo Prizms, live in the projects and wear non name brand clothes from Wal-Mart. Spare me.

Badge does count and I have no issue saying it. The Scion brand does not appeal to me whereas the Toyota brand does. Much like I prefer Marriort to Best Western. I prefer Polo to Chaps.

Only on the internet do we have heroes that act like badge doesn't matter at all. (and I have debaged my cars or put black emblems on them)

Old 04-17-11, 01:32 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, it'll be a Scion and I'll put money on this concept being a 5Axis creation... which means production model won't be a wide, low, or cool.

Flat-4 engine is a dealbreaker for me, so it doesn't matter.
Old 04-17-11, 04:49 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish it is under Toyota. TC is good enough for Scion.
Old 04-18-11, 02:29 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Too bad it's a Scion. Oh well, I still can't wait to see this car in person.
Old 04-18-11, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgear
Too bad it's a Scion.
why? ..
Old 04-18-11, 08:56 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

scion just gives off a bad vibe to many car enthusiasts. In addition, scion no haggling price is a turn off to me; im pretty sure if I could haggle, i would get a pretty decent price.
Old 04-18-11, 09:48 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I wish it is under Toyota. TC is good enough for Scion.
Originally Posted by metalgear
Too bad it's a Scion. Oh well, I still can't wait to see this car in person.
I agree.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why? ..
Because the Scion model is to be a low/non-haggle price point and offer value to a younger demographic. Kind of puts the tC out of place because now you will have 2 coupes with in possibly $5 to $10k of each other. $30k Scion? Also it takes away from having "Fun" cars for the Toyota nameplate. Toyota has not had anything "fun" since the demise of the 7th Gen Celica, MR2/MRS and the Supra.
Old 04-18-11, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

The Subie boxer power-plant should make it relatively easy to add AWD later on, if there is enough interest in it. An AWD version could turn out, in effect, to be a nice sport-coupe version of the WRX.
Old 04-18-11, 10:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I agree.

Because the Scion model is to be a low/non-haggle price point and offer value to a younger demographic. Kind of puts the tC out of place because now you will have 2 coupes with in possibly $5 to $10k of each other. $30k Scion? Also it takes away from having "Fun" cars for the Toyota nameplate. Toyota has not had anything "fun" since the demise of the 7th Gen Celica, MR2/MRS and the Supra.
Lexus has 5 cars at the same price (CT, HS, IS, ES, RX) why cant Scion have 2 cars within 5k?
Old 04-18-11, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I tire of people acting like badge doesn't count like they drive Geo Prizms, live in the projects and wear non name brand clothes from Wal-Mart. Spare me.

Badge does count and I have no issue saying it. The Scion brand does not appeal to me whereas the Toyota brand does. Much like I prefer Marriort to Best Western. I prefer Polo to Chaps.

Only on the internet do we have heroes that act like badge doesn't matter at all. (and I have debaged my cars or put black emblems on them)
Yes, badge does matter to a lot of car-buyers, but when I point out to people that what is even more important is the car's mechanicals under the skin and what you actually get for your money, many end up agreeing with me.
Old 04-18-11, 11:47 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Subie boxer power-plant should make it relatively easy to add AWD later on, if there is enough interest in it. An AWD version could turn out, in effect, to be a nice sport-coupe version of the WRX.
Actually, due to where they located the motor (much farther back, and much lower) using Subaru's AWD won't work with the chassis due to the location of the front axles on the drivetrain.

Subaru stated already they won't make an AWD version, its going to be RWD (possibly turbo, but from the sound of it, probably not to start with).
Old 04-18-11, 11:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

One of my friends told me he would never buy iQ because it is Scion and Scions have bad rep for being kids cars, or something like that... weird :-)
Old 04-18-11, 03:48 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus has 5 cars at the same price (CT, HS, IS, ES, RX) why cant Scion have 2 cars within 5k?
because they're in different classes--with the exception of maybe the HS and the CT.

CT - "sporty" Hybrid hatch
HS - awkward Hybrid sedan
ES - "mid-size-family" sedan
IS - entry level sport sedan
RX - SUV
Old 04-18-11, 05:19 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Yes a company could have several models in the similar price range. But they should be in the different classes. The ones you mentioned all serve different purposes and have different shape and size aim to target different people. However, if FT is put under Scion, in my opinion it is overlapping the market of tC since both are four cylinder two door sports coupes. Scion xD and xB have the same problem, they are too close to each other in function, size, price, engine, body shape. Plus, why do you put two coupes under one brand when Toyota has absolutely no coupe, when you could have one coupe under each brand?
Old 04-18-11, 08:04 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, badge does matter to a lot of car-buyers, but when I point out to people that what is even more important is the car's mechanicals under the skin and what you actually get for your money, many end up agreeing with me.
putting aside emotions you are completely correct. However im going to have to go with 1sicklex, the people who end up agreeing with you probably just don't want to admit to your face that they are a badge-wh0re.

Quick Reply: Scion Concept Car to debut in New York 4/20/11 (FT86)