Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 06:31 PM
emad2007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-21-11, 07:40 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been spoiled by the FRS.

the more i look at the Gh, the more i think it's so boringly ordinary.
Old 04-21-11, 08:39 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I have been spoiled by the FRS.

the more i look at the Gh, the more i think it's so boringly ordinary.
It's not supposed to be earth shattering.

Look at the best sellers in the class...the 5 series and E class...neither of those could ever be called "ground breaking", "edgy" or "game changing". Buyers in this class want understated luxury. Even though I've wished for a super aggressive F10 M5 or GS F...the reality is that it will never happen as that isn't what really sells.

Aftermarket to the rescue.
Old 04-21-11, 09:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
It's not supposed to be earth shattering.
)

i know. just sayin.

my emotions have been changed by the FRS.

at first, I wanted to see a hot (not necessarily ground breaking) 4GS, but I'm starting to have my doubts.
then they pull out the FRS, and now I don't think I even want to spend $50k anymore.

but we won't know till next year.
Maybe the FRS production will turn out to be a disappointment, and the GS will be awesome.
you never know with toyota....
Old 04-21-11, 11:54 PM
rich250x
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesn't really flow like the gs now
Old 04-22-11, 08:05 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Design Exercise

Lexus has just lost the title for the top luxury automaker in 2011 in the United States after being the leader for 11 years, but the head of Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus division isn't worried.

According to Detroit News, the Japanese automaker expects to lose some market shares this year due to components supply shortages from Japan as a consequence to the March 11 earthquake.

"I've told people for the 11 years that we have been No. 1 that it's not what we set out to do," Lexus general manager Mark Templin told The Detroit News after an event to unveil a concept Lexus hybrid - the LF-Gh.

"It's not what we're about now. We're all about the best quality cars,"
he added.

In the first three months of 2011, the Japanese automaker lost some positions in favor of Mercedes Benz and BMW. In addition, the sales levels were down 4% in the first quarter.

Due to new fuel efficiency regulations, the luxury segment in the States has changed and continues to change as Templin explains.

"Some of our competitors don't have the might and power of a Toyota behind them," he said. "They have to sell smaller, less expensive cars that get better mpg and get more volume out of it to meet their government regulations," he added.

By 2016, automakers are forced to increase their car’s fuel efficiency by 30% in order to meet the new regulations that require a 34.1 mpg (6.89 L/100 km) level.

Lexus is not obliged to build fuel-efficient models in order to meet the new terms.

“We don't plan to that," Templin said. "We can stick to true luxury cars and that's what we intend to do... It's not just about volume," he concluded.

The Lexus Future Grand Touring hybrid represents just a new face for Lexus according to Templin. He explained that Lexus does not intend to sell the LF-Gh model, considering it just a design exercise.

"But I promise you a lot of what you see will come to see in this car will come to future Lexus products,” Templin reports, saying it would "not be too long."
Old 04-22-11, 08:52 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Real or fake?
Old 04-22-11, 09:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor

Real or fake?
It's obviously FAKE..... Looks like a photoshop of the current GS, even the side looks EXACTLY the same with the exception of different tails and very minor changes here and there.
Old 04-22-11, 09:13 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Pic from NYC AutoShow of LF-G
Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-1303370278671.jpg

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-1303370301692.jpg

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-1303370319492.jpg

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-1303370330792.jpg

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-1303370382977.jpg
Old 04-22-11, 04:54 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more I see the pix, the more I love it ('cept that grille). I especially love the badgeless rear of the car. And I like the slab, unadorned side profile. And I like the hood and headlights. A toned-down split grille is my only preference.

And one my only concerns is that the car looks kinda large. When I see it in person, I may wish it to be a tad smaller.

Other than that, I love it. I can't wait!

So glad it's not an aggressive design, I like the understated, evolved approach to the GS.
Old 04-22-11, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

i also like it because car has slim profile - japanese cars in general have slim profiles, while german ones have heavy (teutonic)... japanese cars should look... japanese.
Old 04-22-11, 06:02 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I like it, front end reminds me of the FX
Old 04-22-11, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by davcrz5
It really is a car that sometimes I am like "its okay" and sometimes I'm like "I can drive that". I like it in those shots.

Originally Posted by KevinGS
The more I see the pix, the more I love it ('cept that grille). I especially love the badgeless rear of the car. And I like the slab, unadorned side profile. And I like the hood and headlights. A toned-down split grille is my only preference.

And one my only concerns is that the car looks kinda large. When I see it in person, I may wish it to be a tad smaller.

Other than that, I love it. I can't wait!

So glad it's not an aggressive design, I like the understated, evolved approach to the GS.
You know Kevin the media and people are full of crap. They constantly complain cars are getting bigger and heavier all the time. The 3GS is not even an inch longer than the 2GS and is barely wider, taller but the wheelbase grew. The weight held to around 3800 lbs. INstead of it being commended for going against trends (ever car in this class got much bigger, 192-194 inches long AND heavier) its "cramped" yadda yadda. No mention of its lower weight than most in this class.

The 1GS was actually 194 inches long. This concept is around 192 inches long+ with the same wheelbase as the 3GS.

2 inches might not seem like a big deal to people but it can be. I like the size of the GS, I don't desire a mid-size growing to LS size proportions.

Old 04-23-11, 12:57 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You know Kevin the media and people are full of crap. They constantly complain cars are getting bigger and heavier all the time. The 3GS is not even an inch longer than the 2GS and is barely wider, taller but the wheelbase grew. The weight held to around 3800 lbs. INstead of it being commended for going against trends (ever car in this class got much bigger, 192-194 inches long AND heavier) its "cramped" yadda yadda. No mention of its lower weight than most in this class.

The 1GS was actually 194 inches long. This concept is around 192 inches long+ with the same wheelbase as the 3GS.

2 inches might not seem like a big deal to people but it can be. I like the size of the GS, I don't desire a mid-size growing to LS size proportions.
Yeah, I just hope in person the car looks "mid-sized". Having said that, I don't think the 2GS nor the 3GS have roomy backseats, both short on leg room, IMO. Camry's have roomier backseats, and that's a shame. So, I can understand Lexus trying to grow the GS a tad to at least fit 4 comfortably, like a sporty mid-size executive sedan should. I'm still at least 10 to 15 years away from driving something as big as an LS though. It has great presence when properly modded, but for my preference, it's just too big.

So if the LF-Gh looks too big to my naked eye, that will be a turnoff. I still need something that can be somewhat nimble on its feet, as well as squeeze into tight areas, because, well, you know how I drive. lol
Old 04-23-11, 01:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Yeah, I just hope in person the car looks "mid-sized". Having said that, I don't think the 2GS nor the 3GS have roomy backseats, both short on leg room, IMO. Camry's have roomier backseats, and that's a shame. So, I can understand Lexus trying to grow the GS a tad to at least fit 4 comfortably, like a sporty mid-size executive sedan should. I'm still at least 10 to 15 years away from driving something as big as an LS though. It has great presence when properly modded, but for my preference, it's just too big.

So if the LF-Gh looks too big to my naked eye, that will be a turnoff. I still need something that can be somewhat nimble on its feet, as well as squeeze into tight areas, because, well, you know how I drive. lol
The LF-Gh is definitely midsize. It just looks big in some pics because of the way zoom lenses can alter the actual look of the car. I have several pics that I will be posting up soon from The LF-Gh Concept Reveal and pics from the show floor.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)