Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 08:20 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!
Old 04-19-11, 08:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I find it ridiculous that everybody complained about how Lexus was conservative and boring but now that they have stepped into territory of excitement, masculinity, edginess, it is too much and needs to be toned down.

Make up your minds people.

And no, why on earth would they put that exact same grille on the LS? the LS is not a sport sedan like the GS. LS is supposed to exude class, luxury and elegance, use some common sense people.
Old 04-19-11, 08:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what's up with the side character line.
it sort up disappears near the rear door handle, then dips and continues onto the top edge of the tail light.
Old 04-19-11, 08:40 PM
cl400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I find it ridiculous that everybody complained about how Lexus was conservative and boring but now that they have stepped into territory of excitement, masculinity, edginess, it is too much and needs to be toned down.

Make up your minds people.

And no, why on earth would they put that exact same grille on the LS? the LS is not a sport sedan like the GS. LS is supposed to exude class, luxury and elegance, use some common sense people.

since when ugly = aggressive?
front is definitely too out there and weird and the rest of the car is as plain as it gets.

people bashed sonata hybrid for the same reason. ugly is ugly.
Old 04-19-11, 08:42 PM
ceo2be
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn you, Lexus. Why can't you design something exciting and nice for once. Except for the fugly face and the rear, this looks like the current GS. Spend some of your profit and hire a decent designer for God's sake.
Old 04-19-11, 08:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you guys are investing a lot of time and effort speculating on an unfinished product. Whatever the final design, it will sell. Especially if driving dynamics are improved. Me, I'll wait to speculate or give opinions.
The first time I saw the 3GS I thought it was down right ugly. I said so on many ocassions. I compared the front to those dogs with the droopy, bulging eyes sticking out the side of their faces.
Then my wife talked me into one. I came to like it. I still don't think it's a beautiful car but I like them a lot.

I'll wait.

Have fun with your speculations.
Old 04-19-11, 09:01 PM
LexFather

Great post Regg and G star!

Word is the grill is to shock...won't make production, it will get a grill like the DJ or knic PS like below...

Also seems the intent was for sides that didn't have 1,000 creases like how everyone else is doing today. The Lexus design team feels that trend is very played out already.

Old 04-19-11, 09:09 PM
cl400
Driver School Candidate

now that above is just a bigger version of boring CT. it's really hard to come up with a perfect recipe. lexus needs to try harder. and please say no to that grill.
Old 04-19-11, 09:53 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I keep trying and I just can't like this design. The more I see the less I care. It seems some of you are really trying to make something special out of it but all I see is a basic, featureless body with a retarded looking face. Sorry. I wanted this car to really take things forward because I've always liked the 3GS but this is just... wrong.
Old 04-19-11, 10:29 PM
emad2007
Driver

any pics interior ??
Old 04-19-11, 10:50 PM
cl400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Word is the grill is to shock...won't make production, it will get a grill like the DJ or knic PS like below...

Also seems the intent was for sides that didn't have 1,000 creases like how everyone else is doing today. The Lexus design team feels that trend is very played out already.

good gawd. stop defending lexus.
no matter how you slice it the front looks like this

and the side is painfully boring. only the rear has the potential.
Old 04-19-11, 11:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I have pics of the interior kind of but a combination of the damn window tint and the lighting made it difficult to capture. I will post my pics soon after I post up pics from Long Beach Grand Prix and the LFA Pace Car.
Old 04-20-11, 12:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Looks even better in the live reveal shots. Hopefully the 4GS looks as good as this, or better.

Love how low, sporty, and aggressive the shoulder line/belt line is, allowing for a larger greenhouse as well which gives a more airy feeling to the interior.

Those saying this car has no creases, curves, or details need to get their eyes checked.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
tell us how you REALLY feel.

seems like too many people on this forum sugarcoat their posts.
Seems like too many people here love to be negative for the sake of being negative, and love to criticize just for the sake of criticizing.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Based on what Mark Templin said, the gaping grille is coming to a lexus near you.
I surely hope lexus has had lots of positive feedback from many many many focus groups regarding that gaping grille...... cuz i have a feeling it will scare a sizable number of customers away.
Where did Mark Templin say that? Please indicate SPECIFICALLY where he said that, instead of assuming he said that based on your opinion.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Classy design is timeless. Period. This is a very classy, yet aggressive design. Tacky and gimmicky design ages poorly and does not stand the test of time. You are exactly correct. The trend of having 1,000 creases on the sides is very played out, and such designs will age poorly.
Old 04-20-11, 12:52 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Seems like too many people here love to be negative for the sake of being negative, and love to criticize just for the sake of criticizing.
not everything is peachy. everyone's a critic, including you.

I'm ok with being called a negative nancy. I don't really care what people think. I speak my mind.

I've said positive and negative things about every brand of car. But some people are ESPECIALLY touchy when negative things are said about lexus.

Where did Mark Templin say that? Please indicate SPECIFICALLY where he said that, instead of assuming he said that based on your opinion.
http://www.lexus.com/lexus/LF_GH/index.jsp

watch the video and skip SPECIFICALLY to 6:18
"from the dynamic grille, etc etc....... I promise you these will be on future production cars"

Not my opinion, and i'm not delusional or hallucinating. I don't hear voices.

Classy design is timeless. Period. This is a very classy, yet aggressive design. Tacky and gimmicky design ages poorly and does not stand the test of time. You are exactly correct. The trend of having 1,000 creases on the sides is very played out, and such designs will age poorly.

__
\ /
/ \ <-- do you think a gaping multisided grille shaped like this is going to be timeless ?

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-20-11 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 01:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Mark Templin was talking about "many of the elements" being on future Lexus production models. On top of the "dynamic grille", he also spoke of the "aggressive lines". Notice his comments were all general, not specific.

Mark Templin never SPECIFICALLY said that this SPECIFIC grille on the LF-Gh would make it to production.

Also technically, the lower portion of the "grille" is in fact just the bottom portion of the bumper. Mark Templin could have been coy with words, and his mention of the "grille" may have only been referring to the upper portion of the grille. He may have been referring to "dynamic grille" only in terms of the pinched shape of it. We don't know for sure.

Let's not jump to conclusions, as so many on the internet love to do. If the PRODUCTION 4GS has the same grille, then we can sound the alarms. Until then, it is meaningless to criticize.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)