Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hope for Ohioans - Bill Introduced to Abolish Front Plates

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 08:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I wish MD would get rid of the front plate too. Interesting that it actually saves the state money I thought the price paid by OH residents would cover labor, materials and shipping.
Old 02-24-11, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
I wish MD would get rid of the front plate too. Interesting that it actually saves the state money I thought the price paid by OH residents would cover labor, materials and shipping.
There is, of course, two sides to the argument. Front-plates have both advantages and disadvantages. Like you, I personally would rather not have to bother with them (keeping them clean, updating the stickers, making sure they don't loosen and fall off, etc...), but I see the potential help they are to law enforcement and security.
Old 02-24-11, 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, there would be some small savings here and there...but, by state-budget standards, probably not much. And most plates, nowadays, aren't shipped by mail...you simply get a small year-update-sticker each year that you stick on the upper-right-hand corner. Actual metal plates, in most areas, are usually provided at DMV or at new-car dealerships when you first buy your car.
That's what I said, small savings (exact words were "small savings simply"). I also mentioned "billions more to go" earlier in this thread regarding savings that several states need to be working on.

DMV=state budgets and they provide the raw materials and postage to mail the plates to new car owners (not to the dealership and not paid for by the dealership).

Not true, almost all new plates are initially delivered by mail. Even the plates that dealers get are usually delivered by mail (they don't just appear via magical storks). Stickers only go on plates after they are mailed to new car buyer and on used plates and stickers go on rear plates only in most states.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-24-11 at 10:16 AM. Reason: swp
Old 02-24-11, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
DMV=state budgets and they provide the raw materials and postage to mail the plates to new car owners (not to the dealership and not paid for by the dealership).

Not true, almost all new plates are initially delivered by mail. Even the plates that dealers get are usually delivered by mail (not by magical storks). Stickers only go on plates after they are mailed to new car buyer and on used plates and stickers go on rear plates.
It may vary from state to state. Here in VA, the state allows some new-car dealerships to provide real metal plates at the dealership....by-passing the need for cardboard temporary plates and to have to go to DMV later or wait for your private mail. (Car Max, with used-cars, also does in VA, I believe).

But, we've spent enough time on this issue. Back to the OT....the question of whether front plates are needed or not.
Old 02-24-11, 10:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I raise the counter argument back: Why do some cars not have front plates?

This was one of the first things I've noticed during my first vacation to America April-May 2010 (California-Nevada and Utah).

My first impression was that some car owners are lazy to have front plates or are intentionally law breakers.

In fact, I even approached one automobile and examined the front bumper and I'm shocked........that it doesn't even have holes or drills or even anchors to attach the front plate. So I assume car manufacturers assume that people won't install front plates (?) hence sending cars with front bumpers without holes or anchors?

Unfortunately, I still couldn't get a straight answer

Straight answer, usually because front plates are considered to be ugly. A small percentage of missing front plates are due to laziness too.

A perfect example is the front of a Porsche Boxster that looks best without a front plate and without a front plate bracket. I owned 2 of these over a 10 year period and never had a front plate on either car. Never got a fix-it ticket (not that I worried about it because I have a cop in the family that will gladly sign-off on that kind of fix-it ticket if necessary).
Old 02-24-11, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It may vary from state to state. Here in VA, the state allows some new-car dealerships to provide real metal plates at the dealership....by-passing the need for cardboard temporary plates and to have to go to DMV later or wait for your private mail. (Car Max, with used-cars, also does in VA, I believe).

But, we've spent enough time on this issue. Back to the OT....the question of whether front plates are needed or not.
It is on topic, because the topic is front plates. (read the article by OP and discussion on cost savings)

And the savings related to postage apply even in VA, because the DMV mails the heavier 2 plates to dealership (instead of the lighter 1 plate), resulting in higher postage costs, higher material costs, higher overhead costs to the state government of VA.

Agreed, this is a waste of time, lol.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-24-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-24-11, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A perfect example is the front of a Porsche Boxster that looks best without a front plate and without a front plate bracket. I owned 2 of these over a 10 year period and never had a front plate on either car. Never got a fix-it ticket (not that I worried about it because I have a cop in the family that will gladly sign-off on that kind of fix-it ticket if necessary).
Yep, sports-car owners, more than many others, often for cosmetic reasons, seem to be loath to having front plates. One of my colleagues has a nice white Nissan 370Z that he simply refuses to put a front plate on. I've reminded him, twice, of the VA law requiring it, but he's content to simply take his chances getting a ticket.
Old 02-24-11, 10:37 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I said, small savings (exact words were "small savings simply"). I also mentioned "billions more to go" earlier in this thread regarding savings that several states need to be working on.

Not true, almost all new plates are initially delivered by mail. Even the plates that dealers get are usually delivered by mail (they don't just appear via magical storks). Stickers only go on plates after they are mailed to new car buyer and on used plates and stickers go on rear plates only in most states.
Add in the fact that states like NY change their designs every 7 years or so to coincide with the length of time the reflective coating on multicolored plates begins to wear off.
Old 02-24-11, 10:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Add in the fact that states like NY change their designs every 7 years or so to coincide with the length of time the reflective coating on multicolored plates begins to wear off.
Oh my, I didn't take into account what those flamboyant designers charge the state. But I don't think they will give a discount for design services even if the state goes from 2 plates to 1 plate.

But good point regarding reflective paint, because that kind of paint is not cheap (and cutting the usage by 1/2 will result in savings).

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-24-11 at 10:41 AM.