Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is ricer a slur and should it be banned here?
Yes, it is a slur, get rid of it
8.51%
No it is not and it is not offending
62.77%
We should make a new term for it
5.32%
Rice or Die!
1.06%
I am a ricer
2.13%
I'm here for the gangbang
20.21%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Is the term "Ricer" a racial slur/insult? Should we ban it or is it fine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 09:25 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

"Ricer" imo is not a racial slur. Should not be banned. The less restrictions we have, the better.
Old 02-13-11, 09:27 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Rice = race inspired cosmetic enhancement.

Ricer = someone who drives a RICE car.

Just cause asians eat rice does not mean Ricer is a racist term. The abbreviation just happens to be that word - rice. I'm Asian and don't find it offensive at all.
What does an Asian have anything to do with the word Ricer? Asians eat rice just like I eat rice and I am Russian.... I didn't know it was only the asians that ate rice....
Old 02-13-11, 09:35 AM
oldisnew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Russian, Native American, Irish and a few others as my heritage, but I am born American. If I got upset about every term used, I'd spend half my life being PO'd. Gotta let it roll.

Besides, it just a descriptive. Woosaa...enjoy the ride.
Old 02-13-11, 10:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Rice = race inspired cosmetic enhancement.

Ricer = someone who drives a RICE car.
That makes practically half the Clublexus members ricers
Old 02-13-11, 10:36 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

retarded...people will get butt hurt over anything these days.
Old 02-13-11, 10:46 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Dude you crack me up I was wondering how you would respond.

I wonder how many people actually know what started this tread and what was originally said....

Seriously though Mike what do you think? Since I challenged you directly. I have not heard your thoughts on the matter.

Originally Posted by Och
Should we ban sex because impotents might get offended?
Maybe we can we find out? Mike can you add that to the poll?

Originally Posted by wolverine
tell him to stop crying. jeez
lol

Originally Posted by mondo540
Ah, I never identified rice with an ethnicity but more a "style" of car....what I find somewhat interesting is you "out" who made this point to you...
Well to be fair I did call him out about possibly being a bully regarding the term. Hence why we are here. But I also find it interesting that its the first time in the 7 years I have been on this board that anyone has paid attention to me... LOL

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I don't like the term but I don't think you should ban it. People use the term rice to describe anything they personally don't like, therefore, I don't really think it has meaning anymore. Hot Rodding is rice, VIP Style is rice, heck sometimes I hear people calling stock cars rice. Everything is rice to someone.

I could be wrong, but long ago I think it did have a certain racial tone to it where American car owners back in the 60-70 used to call Japanese cars "Rice Burners" or something like that since at the time I think we'd all agree Japanese cars were POS. The "Rice" part of it was because Asians eat a lot of rice. At least that is what some old timers have mentioned to me.

Anyway, I don't use the term, I think it is a stupid term, but I wouldn't ban it.
Personally, I think every mod style has its place because it appeals to the builder. The builder is doing it vs someone sitting on the side just thinking about what he wouldn't do and what he would do. I applaud anyone out there modding cars for the love of it and doing it their way. I would say many of those mod styles are NOT my style, but that is as far as I would go.
Well put... and for the record so that Mike or anyone else is not putting words in my mouth this is exactly how I feel about the term.

I never wanted him to ban the word, I was just concerned with its use as he is a respected/senior member of this forum and I feel he may have a responsibility to tone down possible hate/offensive talk.

Especially since Mike and others ironically bring up threads about the same type of hate talk and media bullying that we are all frustrated about when discussing the Lexus/Toyota safety recalls. Its the idea that people run with a disrespectful concept or term because its easy to criticize and then it takes on a life of its own as we have seen.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ic-thrott.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...oney-back.html

So I guess I would ask OCH and wolverine should we be quiet and stop crying about this because the some of the general public is now convinced that Toyota's are junk or that the Lexus you are driving is dangerous??? Maybe your ok with it and I just did not catch your response to the threads.

My point to Mike was that a term like ricer or whatever term you like is only harmless when it is not directed at you. Its a negative term.. No one uses it as a term of endearment.

It is a slippery slope when you openly allow hate talk regarding anything. Hence why Club Lexus has rules on the matter. Many other internet car forums do not take such a high road and IMO this is what makes CL so valuable, because you can discuss any make/model of car openly. But when you start adding a little hate here or there it takes some of the magic away. I enjoy reading people's opinion about cars especially Mike's as he seems to be quite an enthusiast.

In the end its all about respect and as a Asian guy who grew up with non Asian folks constantly using the word ricer I don't find the word to be respectful as it is always used in a condecending and attacking manner. I am not saying its as powerful as the N word but its just not a word I enjoy hearing.

I mean heck I take some offence to the fact that some BMW/Merc owners I know call the fake quad pipes on an IS-F Ricer... And I dont even own one but I respect Lexus and the car.

But according to the poll results my friends are right and it is factory installed Rice (Race inspired cosmetic enhancement) lol (I have never heard that before) and I should not think its a big deal.

For example I can now say things like:

1) Nothing says "I is a enthusiast and is more than you" than a big giant set of fake quad exhaust pipes now shown on the IS-F. Ricers rejoice!

2) ^^, uhhhh, like no kidding (sarcastic), lol. I'll take my Quad ehaust pipes with an extra side of rice please.

3)Great, this will just create more ricers who will drive like idiots with their copycat quad exhausts on their Honda's.

I think you get the idea. Its not just the term rice it is the context in which it is used. You can replace the Quad exhaust pipes with anything u like to make fun of.

BTW According to the "Urban Dictionary" most of the other posters are correct. The term is has been widely accepted and used only to refer to a type of modded vehicle and not a person or their race. But it is interesting how most of the definitions only use Japanese cars....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ricer

BTW I am personally just here for the Gangbang....

David
Old 02-13-11, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I eat rice. I think my Lexus has a dash of rice by some peoples definition.

But no laws protect against discrimination of ricers (or smokers or fat people too).
Old 02-13-11, 11:09 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

While I fully understand and appreciate the basis of this thread, IMHO... RESPECTFULLY... the mere fact we are having a discussion about it is proof positive how PC is utterly destroying this country because too many people are too sensitive... I don't know what the OP originally said, or what transpired, so please, no offense to the OP...

... but we have a thread nonetheless.... it becomes an issue.... I sit AMAZED at another example of PC "creep".... it just never ends...

...life's tough

Really...

<gets off his soap box>

Last edited by rdgdawg; 02-13-11 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-13-11, 11:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just ban everything, ban every word.

Lets all just come on this forum and post only smilies.
Old 02-13-11, 11:34 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
While I fully understand and appreciate the basis of this thread, IMHO... RESPECTFULLY... the mere fact we are having a discussion about it is proof positive how PC is utterly destroying this country because too many people are too sensitive... I don't know what the OP originally said, or what transpired, so please, no offense to the OP...

... but we have a thread nonetheless.... and it becomes an issue....

...life's tough

Really...

<gets off his soap box>
I agree... I think everyone should get to use the word. That is why we have the first amendment.

So we are clear... I NEVER asked Mike to start this thread, nor do I have any interest in banning this word.

From what I can tell this is his response towards me when I said to him that he "should really leave the ricer propoganda to the professionals."

Its pretty clever actually to get everyone worked up towards me about banning something.

I think he is getting the reaction he was hoping for.

Originally Posted by Och
Just ban everything, ban every word.

Lets all just come on this forum and post only smilies.
LOL... Then it would not be much of a car forum...
Old 02-13-11, 11:49 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This country will never move on. We are still too young. Wait a 1000 years or so and terms like Niger, Jap, Rice, Redneck, Wetback, FOB and whatever will all just be a laughing memory. Unfortunately people whom that many of those terms were used against in a real derogatory way are still alive so its not just being PC, its being respectful IMHO.

Personally, I don't think life gets any tougher for anyone being somewhat PC. I don't swear. Well, sometimes I do under my breathe but not really out load and seldom. If something offends someone, out of respect for that person I don't do it in front of them within reason. I think that is the key. Be reasonable. If you don't have to do the offending action, you have a choice now to either keep offending, or just stop and wait until that person leaves the area. I think life is better that way.
Old 02-13-11, 01:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't drive rice.
I drive beans.
Old 02-13-11, 05:51 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Wait the term was used to describe the car's not the drivers ? (just kidding)
Old 02-13-11, 05:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably a ricer and drive a riced out car at times. I don't care though, at least I'm having fun.
Old 02-13-11, 06:00 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably a ricer and drive a riced out car at times. I don't care though, at least I'm having fun.
I think its about time you get stripped of your moderating powers

Quick Reply: Is the term "Ricer" a racial slur/insult? Should we ban it or is it fine?