Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is ricer a slur and should it be banned here?
Yes, it is a slur, get rid of it
8.51%
No it is not and it is not offending
62.77%
We should make a new term for it
5.32%
Rice or Die!
1.06%
I am a ricer
2.13%
I'm here for the gangbang
20.21%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Is the term "Ricer" a racial slur/insult? Should we ban it or is it fine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 08:59 PM
LexFather

Default Is the term "Ricer" a racial slur/insult? Should we ban it or is it fine?

As you are aware we have a pretty tough policy against racial slurs and racial comments here on Club Lexus. Recently dsnowgs4 pointed out to me that he finds the term offending from a racial point of view. I never really saw it that way before and I did understand what he was trying to say.

For example we don't say "Jap" here or "N-word" etc. So should "Ricer" be included in this group.

Should we find/make a replacement word for it? Maybe " MC modified challenged"?

Everyone's input is valued so lets have a good discussion here. Thanks

Mike

Old 02-12-11, 09:06 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't say Ricer is a more offensive term than for example someone calling a car "ghetto" or "trailer-trashy".

When you picture these terms used, you don't picture a person per say, but you have an idea of how a particular car that fits that 'description' looks.

Trailer-Trashy: I picture any usdm pickup raised up incredibly high, huge mud tires, obnoxiously loud exhaust, and hunting stickers.

Ghetto: I picture 'donked' car with 30' (yes I meant feet ) rims, tv's anywhere you can stick them, and gaudy chrome all over it.

Ricer: I picture a cheap JDM car which has pepboys/autozone/ebay parts strewn all over it, and not to mention a plethora of stickers which increase speed and aerodynamics.

One thing that is in common with the general choice of these vehicles is that the mods in themselves cost more than the car itself. That's a generalization, but in many cases it's the truth. So in my humble opinion, no I wouldn't say the term Ricer is derogatory as it applies more-so to the car, rather than the driver.
Old 02-12-11, 09:07 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rice = race inspired cosmetic enhancement.

Ricer = someone who drives a RICE car.

Just cause asians eat rice does not mean Ricer is a racist term. The abbreviation just happens to be that word - rice. I'm Asian and don't find it offensive at all.

Last edited by GiantsFan; 02-12-11 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-12-11, 09:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Should we ban sex because impotents might get offended?
Old 02-12-11, 09:25 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell him to stop crying. jeez
Old 02-12-11, 09:27 PM
svlexus
Driver

I agree, the term came up with old dirtbikes and it isnt racial.
Old 02-12-11, 09:33 PM
mondo540
Driver

Ah, I never identified rice with an ethnicity but more a "style" of car....what I find somewhat interesting is you "out" who made this point to you...
Old 02-12-11, 10:31 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

not racist, but funny to see how true stereotypes are every area has a certain group of drivers who stick out, and Georgia drivers, among the many things I could say to describe them, one thing that sticks out is all the oil leaking out of so many cars, so piles of ....

and ricers get confused with POS, ricers generally have nice cars, minus the stickers and loud exhaust, but my father calls ricers cereal box cars
Old 02-12-11, 10:58 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't think it's offensive. There will always be people wanting to mod their rides, some more cognizant of how it'll look in the end compared to others. But I've always felt the term "ricer" was a description of a certain way to mod a ride, typically asian rides. As much as I like the Fast and the Furious franchise movies, it has shed more light onto the car scene. But if we make a new term for it, modified challenged would be a PC way to put it- if we end up tweaking the term/meaning for future reference.
Old 02-12-11, 11:11 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't like the term but I don't think you should ban it. People use the term rice to describe anything they personally don't like, therefore, I don't really think it has meaning anymore. Hot Rodding is rice, VIP Style is rice, heck sometimes I hear people calling stock cars rice. Everything is rice to someone.

I could be wrong, but long ago I think it did have a certain racial tone to it where American car owners back in the 60-70 used to call Japanese cars "Rice Burners" or something like that since at the time I think we'd all agree Japanese cars were POS. The "Rice" part of it was because Asians eat a lot of rice. At least that is what some old timers have mentioned to me.

Anyway, I don't use the term, I think it is a stupid term, but I wouldn't ban it.

Personally, I think every mod style has its place because it appeals to the builder. The builder is doing it vs someone sitting on the side just thinking about what he wouldn't do and what he would do. I applaud anyone out there modding cars for the love of it and doing it their way. I would say many of those mod styles are NOT my style, but that is as far as I would go.
Old 02-13-11, 01:50 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not offensive at all. pretty common term with asians in vancouver.
Old 02-13-11, 03:52 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mondo540
Ah, I never identified rice with an ethnicity but more a "style" of car....
I agree...
Old 02-13-11, 05:31 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Add me to the list that the term refers to the car not the person driving it. Its not a term I use or even like but when I hear it all that comes to mind is the car not the person.
Old 02-13-11, 08:44 AM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I also associate it with the car, not the person driving.
Old 02-13-11, 09:16 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Rice = race inspired cosmetic enhancement.

Ricer = someone who drives a RICE car.

Just cause asians eat rice does not mean Ricer is a racist term. The abbreviation just happens to be that word - rice. I'm Asian and don't find it offensive at all.
All asians eat rice and non-asians don't eat rice?

Quick Reply: Is the term "Ricer" a racial slur/insult? Should we ban it or is it fine?