Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Large Super Saloons

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 08:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually the LS has gotten support from Tom's since day one. It just isn't officially sanctioned like Alpina is by BMW. Like Alpina you need some serious coin to get a fully done LS.

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/comp/lexus/index.html

Since Tom's is an affiliate/subsidiary of Toyota, a "tuning arm" of Toyota so to speak, it's about as official and sanctioned as you can get .
Old 01-18-11, 09:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
new s63 is now 5.5L twin turbo
I can never keep up with AMG and their motors. Too confusing. What happen to C63 then?
Old 01-18-11, 09:25 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

dont forget the Panamera Turbo

i drove it couple of weeks ago, insane speed
the way it moves in the corners
it definitely is more coupe feel than all the other super sedans
Old 01-18-11, 10:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
Wait and see. The design philosophy is very different. The Audi uses an aluminum frame, AWD and will probably use the Lambo v-10 in some shape or form.

If you want big price tags, big HP and 2wd, then it's hard to beat MB. If you live where it's wet or cold, the AMGs could be a bad choice.

All these cars are so heavy, I cringe when I hear performance sedan.
sure, i am ready to see the change, but so far it's all talk. i am sure the awd is nice, but if we focus on true performance, why bring the snow? so far the s line cars can't even get close to the m and amg

Originally Posted by STIG
I can never keep up with AMG and their motors. Too confusing. What happen to C63 then?
c63 right now still 6.2L NA, and likely continue to be the cash (just like c55 vs e55 etc... before)

Originally Posted by UberNoob
dont forget the Panamera Turbo

i drove it couple of weeks ago, insane speed
the way it moves in the corners
it definitely is more coupe feel than all the other super sedans
panamera, you can't even fit 5 people in there. it's a 4 door coupe imho, not a true sedan
Old 01-18-11, 10:37 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

sure, i am ready to see the change, but so far it's all talk. i am sure the awd is nice, but if we focus on true performance, why bring the snow? so far the s line cars can't even get close to the m and amg

c63 right now still 6.2L NA, and likely continue to be the cash (just like c55 vs e55 etc... before)

panamera, you can't even fit 5 people in there. it's a 4 door coupe imho, not a true sedan
lol, if i owned an S65 or XJR, i would not be fitting 5 people in there
there is a reason for having a luxury executive sedan, it is to be in there in comfort
there is no comfort to be had in the back seats of a S65 when you have 3 people back there
Old 01-18-11, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no comfort? i don't know if you realize the size of s class rear cabin.

but sometimes it's not a matter will or will not, it's about can or cannot. the way i see it, if we pull in panamera, we ought to bring in the cls too
Old 01-19-11, 12:24 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and i don't know how that will stack up with the s63. the s4 is nothing like m3 or c63, and the s6 is nothing like m5 or e63
You're forgetting the RS6. We can actually get it up here. Something about an almost 600 hp station wagon that I think would be tons of fun.

Imagine debadging it....pulling up to a light....and blowing the doors off of 99% of the cars on the road.

Originally Posted by STIG
As Henry pointed out earlier....staying with the NA 6.2.

no comfort? i don't know if you realize the size of s class rear cabin.

but sometimes it's not a matter will or will not, it's about can or cannot. the way i see it, if we pull in panamera, we ought to bring in the cls too
Correct.

There is no comparison to rear seat leg room/comfort of the S class vs. Pana.
However, for me, my passengers/guests can get over it though for the performance/handling advantage of the Pana vs. non-AMG S.

Agreed on the CLS as well.
Old 01-19-11, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You're forgetting the RS6. We can actually get it up here. Something about an almost 600 hp station wagon that I think would be tons of fun.

Imagine debadging it....pulling up to a light....and blowing the doors off of 99% of the cars on the road.

As Henry pointed out earlier....staying with the NA 6.2.

Correct.

There is no comparison to rear seat leg room/comfort of the S class vs. Pana.
However, for me, my passengers/guests can get over it though for the performance/handling advantage of the Pana vs. non-AMG S.

Agreed on the CLS as well.
nono, you missing my point. the rs series are definitely contender. rs4 and rs6 both awesome sick cars. but what i was trying to say is unless we see rs8, i am not sure if s8 itself is ready to go against s63 let alone s65
Old 03-22-11, 10:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

nono, you missing my point. the rs series are definitely contender. rs4 and rs6 both awesome sick cars. but what i was trying to say is unless we see rs8, i am not sure if s8 itself is ready to go against s63 let alone s65
Audi is going the BMW route, no RS8, just S8. No M7, just 750i/760i M-Sport. No LS-F, just LS-Sport.

Seems like everyone have a different way to bring in different level of sportiness, everyone look at the market differently I guess. Most brand have 3 levels though, normal, half way sporty and full on sporty.
Old 03-22-11, 10:24 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

If Toyota/Lexus is reading this, I would like to have a 500 hp Hybrid LS-F, it would be my ideal daily commuter.

Luxury, Power, comfort, sporty, hybrid efficiency and quietness.

Actually the current LS600hL is pretty good, just need more powerful batteries, a little more power and most importantly, more sporty.

And please oh please, make the air suspension reliable and long lasting.
Old 03-22-11, 10:27 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I want to see, a Lexus LS-F:

6.0L V8 (used in the hybrid, but without the electric motor), 6 speed manual from a supra, Twin Snails, and ALOOOOOOT of boost.

[/end thread]
Old 03-22-11, 11:01 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I want to see, a Lexus LS-F:

6.0L V8 (used in the hybrid, but without the electric motor), 6 speed manual from a supra, Twin Snails, and ALOOOOOOT of boost.
Bigger is better in Texas?

Sounds like the car you want is a 2011 Bentley Mulsanne, 6.75L V8 Twin Turbo running 17 psi of boost, 752 lbs-ft @ 1750 rpm. That should satisfy your needs.

I am surprise you are in a Lexus forum, since Japanese don't make anything big. Honda is still stuck on V6s.
Old 03-22-11, 01:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I kinda would like to see Toyota bring back the past days where the flagship motor was used in a coupe and sedan for the masses. Back then it was the 7M inline 6, today we'd see a 4.8 L 1LR-GUE V10.

Has Toyota ever had a big honking motor in any of their cars? Usually modest to small displacement but let's get some more aggressive tuning involved.
Old 03-22-11, 02:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
I kinda would like to see Toyota bring back the past days where the flagship motor was used in a coupe and sedan for the masses. Back then it was the 7M inline 6, today we'd see a 4.8 L 1LR-GUE V10.
I would seriously buy any cars Toyota makes with that V10 for under $100k

Originally Posted by RA40
Has Toyota ever had a big honking motor in any of their cars?
The biggest so far is the 5.0L V8 in the ISF and LS600, also a 5.0L V12 in the Century.

Man put a V12 in a future LS and I am so on it. But the days of excess is over, so that's not happening.
Old 03-22-11, 09:23 PM
cl400
Driver School Candidate

don't forget Panamera Turbo. MSRP $ 135,300.00
my favorite super salooon.

Quick Reply: The Large Super Saloons