Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the gasoline thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 12:38 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheveron with Techron since birth, besides the free complimentary tanks by the dealer (unknown)
Old 01-13-11, 12:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jbjones85
Whatever is the cheapest 93 on the way to and from the office.
This

For the IS I don't even care if it's 93, long as it's at least 91. (for my previous car I cared quite a bit more as it was tuned for 93)

All fuel is required to meet same minimum federal guidelines, and when one distributor is low the stations just get their gas from another one anyway.

I know the top tier gas folks have dropped a lot of $ on marketing, but I've never seen a lick of actual evidence (ie not something paid for by the company pimping their ****) to support using one "brand" of fuel over another.
Old 01-13-11, 12:49 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
This

For the IS I don't even care if it's 93, long as it's at least 91. (for my previous car I cared quite a bit more as it was tuned for 93)

All fuel is required to meet same minimum federal guidelines, and when one distributor is low the stations just get their gas from another one anyway.

I know the top tier gas folks have dropped a lot of $ on marketing, but I've never seen a lick of actual evidence (ie not something paid for by the company pimping their ****) to support using one "brand" of fuel over another.
So do you think the consistent price differences (at least around here) between one brand and another is purely due to marketing? Even the "Techron" in Chevron gas is useless? Just in case it's unclear, I'm not trying to be a smartass, haha. Genuine question.

I've heard a lot of people say that certain brands like RaceTrac have worse quality gas, but on the other hand, I've also heard about how there is no real discrimination from one brand to the next about where they get their gas from.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-13-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 01:18 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I know I've been a Club Lexus member for too long when I've seen at least 10 of these gasoline threads and "top tier" discussions. ;-)

I personally use a top tier fuel called Phillips 66 - Premium 91, which is ethanol free here. I do believe top tier fuel contains more additives than some of the alternatives (because I know a guy here that went around and tested them...and I'm comfortable with his testing methodology).

Whether or not you are fine with the 90's additive standards is up to you; I personally don't see the harm in using a gasoline with more additives considering the carbon buildup issues that are occurring (especially since the price is exactly the same here).

To each their own.
Old 01-13-11, 01:23 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used every brand. Like Chevron the most. Been using only Chevron for the last ten years.
Old 01-13-11, 01:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
So do you think the consistent price differences (at least around here) between one brand and another is purely due to marketing? Even the "Techron" in Chevron gas is useless? Just in case it's unclear, I'm not trying to be a smartass, haha. Genuine question.

I've heard a lot of people say that certain brands like RaceTrac have worse quality gas, but on the other hand, I've also heard about how there is no real discrimination from one brand to the next about where they get their gas from.

I think fuel additives are probably like brakes... once you reach a certain level (able to lock the wheels or engage ABS) then "more" doesn't really help in normal use.

The federal government requires a minimum, and I've never seen the slightest evidence it's not adequate for normal use.

Techron is a fine additive but I've seen nothing to suggest you end up with any measurable better and significant results using gasoline that contains it versus any other major brand.

I'd probably still avoid Jim Bobs Smiley Gas because who knows WTF he's got in there, but any major name brand should work exactly as well as any other.

Further, do enough internet searching and you'll find threads where folks insist they got better results with brand X and terrible results with brand Y, then other folks who say exactly the opposite... and you can put pretty much EVERY major brand in for X or Y and find people on both sides. Which suggests to me there's nothing really going on between brands.

Now, that's not to say that if you drove 2 cars to 1 million miles you wouldn't get a cleaner engine out of the one with "more" additives... but I suspect the difference would be pretty insignificant even then. I've certainly found no fuel-related issues on any vehicle I've had (and some have gone 200-300 thousand miles) nor any my other car friends have had (many who've taken cars into that mileage range). So for the amount of time anyone realistically owns a car, no, I don't believe there's any difference and have seen no objective proof otherwise.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-13-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 01:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rebs
I know I've been a Club Lexus member for too long when I've seen at least 10 of these gasoline threads and "top tier" discussions. ;-)

I personally use a top tier fuel called Phillips 66 - Premium 91, which is ethanol free here. I do believe top tier fuel contains more additives than some of the alternatives (because I know a guy here that went around and tested them...and I'm comfortable with his testing methodology).

Whether or not you are fine with the 90's additive standards is up to you; I personally don't see the harm in using a gasoline with more additives considering the carbon buildup issues that are occurring (especially since the price is exactly the same here).

To each their own.

You realize the gasoline doesn't actually touch the part where the buildup is thought to come from, right? 250s are direct injection only so no fuel at the top of the valves.

That's why 350s don't have the problem... with port injection the fuel DOES hit those parts (and any gasoline works fine to avoid the issue).
Old 01-13-11, 01:40 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Home Depot, where 93 is always the cheapest...
Old 01-13-11, 01:43 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You realize the gasoline doesn't actually touch the part where the buildup is thought to come from, right? 250s are direct injection only so no fuel at the top of the valves.

That's why 350s don't have the problem... with port injection the fuel DOES hit those parts (and any gasoline works fine to avoid the issue).
I was speaking generally (as I have multiple vehicles). As far as "any gasoline works fine to avoid the issue", I believe that is a huuuuuge generalization.

That would be like saying any "detergent" cleans well and at any volume. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and there's plenty of studies out there regarding top tier fuels and detergents (even if some were sponsored by a member of top tier fuels, or car manufacturers that support top tier fuels).

However, I find it difficult to justify some of the discount fuels here that barely meet standards from 20+ years ago when they cost the same (or virtually the same) as a top tier fuel that does have more detergent (and meets stricter standards).

I'll continue to take a top tier fuel (proven to have more detergent) at the exact same price...but to each their own.

Last edited by rebs; 01-13-11 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 01:45 PM
ksizzle
Driver School Candidate

chevron only
Old 01-13-11, 01:49 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

shell ftw!!
Old 01-13-11, 02:04 PM
Sephiroth
Driver School Candidate

Wait, does the Lexus IS250 require premium gas (+91)? Or is 87 enough?
Old 01-13-11, 02:14 PM
penone
Driver

Shell for me. V-Power always.
Old 01-13-11, 02:27 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder what type of fuel our members from Dubai use????

Rashoodz chime in plz....
Old 01-13-11, 02:59 PM
BlackFish8
Pole Position

+1 for chevron

Quick Reply: the gasoline thread