1SICKREVIEW: 2011 Lexus CT 200h - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: 2011 Lexus CT 200h

Old 11-05-10, 02:46 PM   #2
rominl
exclusive matchup

good stuff mike! some very nice insight on the car!!!

never felt anything about the HS, but always hope on the CT. i think this can be a better entry level luxury car on the lexus lineup. imagine all the college new grad getting into the work industry wanting something luxurious
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 02:50 PM   #3
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

I'm confused, didn't they make IS300 wagons, aren't those considered hatchback?
Jewcano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 02:53 PM   #4
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

great write-up.

one thing I just don't like is the pop-up NAV.

I agree it should be as high as possible on the dash, but not sticking out of it.
It looks like an afterthought....perhaps relocate the air vents and have the NAV screen situated there.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 02:58 PM   #5
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

I can definitely see myself driving one of these! Fantastic review
MrBruin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 02:59 PM   #6
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewcano View Post
I'm confused, didn't they make IS300 wagons, aren't those considered hatchback?
I think they were considered more a wagon than a hatchback.
MrBruin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 03:06 PM   #7
TripleL
No Substitute

Nice informative write up, thanks!!

I'm impressed that they had 4 vehicles there. I like the look of the car inside and out and that lighter color interior with the light wood looks especially nice.

What jumped out to me was your comment on feeling confident driving the car right away. That says a lot. I'm sure the car felt planted, but even given its lower power would you consider it 'tossable' in a fun sort of way?

Also I agree with you on price. As with any product pricing will be critical. I have a feeling the Lexus my price this a smidge high to ensure its entry level status. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
TripleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 03:46 PM   #8
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Excellent, concise and very useful review. Really shows an understanding of what premium car buyers in 2010 are looking for and addresses those concerns directly. The fact that this vehicle is a very economical/clean hybrid is secondary in this price range.

Nicely done, gives me a good sense of what the new CT200h is about. Thanks.
IS-SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 04:24 PM   #9
xuserx04
Lead Lap

From those pictures it looks like Mazda, or is it just me?
xuserx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 04:42 PM   #10
bolido
Rookie

It does look like a Mazda 3. Hmm I think it will be a very tough sell in the US. What are the sales target for the CT in the US and EU?
bolido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 05:07 PM   #11
excluesive
Lexus Champion

loooks like a 3... but interior is fresh
excluesive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 05:09 PM   #12
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, Mike. Nice review. Sounds like they did the engineering on this one a little better than with the HS250. From what you describe, Lexus does the fake leather better than the Germans.....I never was impressed with the M-B-Tex or the simliar stuff Audi and BMW use.

Was there a price tag on the one you drove?....you didn't say. Just want to get an idea of what there will run when they reach the dealershps.

An interesting car. I will probably check one out myself, maybe even as a (possible) long-shot new-car-purchase (that will depend on pricing), but you've done a good review. I probably won't write one up myself.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 08:20 PM   #14
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Great review Mike!

I'm also intrigued to see what happens as Lexus goes "downmarket". Profitablity at the end of the day rules the corporate rule (with the exception of the LF A...lol)....and even AM has proven that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
I was fortunate enough to be informed that pre-production CT 200h's were here.
Nice to see you getting taken care of by Lexus. Guess it goes to show the time you spend here is actually worth something.

Quote:
The bottom line is this car challenges your perceptions of Lexus, maybe even MORE than the LFA. . Mind you I am going from being in the LFA in Jaunary, a 375k new exotic Lexus to being in a CT in November, a maybe $30,000 base new entry level model. Very contrasting debuts from one company in a year and I do wish there was more fluff between the two vehicles.
If AM can bring the Cygnet, Lexus should be able to sell a CT.

Quote:
They had white/silver/daybreak yellow and matador red mica. I really like the car in the white and bright colors. The Daybreak Mica is fantastic.
While seeing a vehicle in person vs. pictures is very different....the first thing I though of when I saw the red one was....wow that looks a lot like my neighbours Matrix Xwhatever.

Quote:
Here I am being challenged again Nuluxe. Its not for me BUT it isn't bad for synthetic leather. NuLuxe is "environmentally conscious",
50% lighter than leather (weight),
65% less CO2 output being produced,
No metal dies used
No VOC (Colatile Organic Compounds)

I hope Lexus advertises that b/c most will just say "fake leather" instead of giving it the credit it is due.
I'm not sure what the opposition to "faux" leather is? The appearance is almost exactly the same. Yes, the feel is different, but the durability of "leatherette" is amazing.

I actually had this discussion on the BMW forum today. We chose the leatherette in our ML knowing it was going to be our dog vehicle. When our X5 was new the true leather was essentially the same as the ML's leatherette when new. The difference is that the X5 (10 months old) "broken in" is softer and feels more luxurious now.

However, our ML is 18 months old and looks exactly like it did the day we bought it and our 95 lb (ish) pup has climbed all over most of it.

This is one area where different strokes for different folks certainly applies, imo.

Quote:
There is simply no getting around it being low on power. However once you don't expect an IS F things are fine for around town.
Well what else am I supposed to expect now....lol.

Quote:
Handling was really fantastic. The car never really let me know it was FWD. Steering inputs were pretty precise and the car moved confidently. I actually jumped in a Lexus and felt confident immediately driving it.
Really Mike???

The new RX is a huge step up in handling from the previous gen...and of course the LF A has proven that Lexus can do handling (and maybe the F )...but have they come that far that an econo box is going to outhandle most of their line up???
CDNROCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 08:49 PM   #15
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam8065 View Post
I think they were considered more a wagon than a hatchback.
What makes the difference though? Both of the rear gates swing open upwards? I thought that was the definition of a "Hatch"back. I wasn't trying to start anything just pointing out that the CT 200h technically wouldn't be the first 'Hatch' Lexus has introduced here.

Back on topic though, I have somewhat mixed feelings about this car, but judging by the fuel economy and it's a Lexus, forget about it, it's a winner.
Jewcano is online now   Reply With Quote