Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(Finally) Review: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 11:58 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The driveways in my neighborhood reflect a lot of middle age crazy. Three doors West is a Challenger SRT8, next door east is grandson's Camaro SS, and a good friend just bought his SECOND Shelby (his daughter inherited #1). Of the selection, while all are pretty decent interpretations of the performance pony cars, I'd take the Shelby. I know, it's not a fair comparison, but if I could afford a $50K plaything, that would be it.

Still, I have to say that Challenger has the sweetest exhaust note of anything south of $100K. This is what a big-bore performance motor is supposed to sound like. Even at idle, it gets your attention . . . and you know it's serious. Who cares if it's a pile of dissociated parts? Or, that it's resale will approximate that of a Camry in a few years. It sounds good.
Old 10-01-10, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The driveways in my neighborhood reflect a lot of middle age crazy. Three doors West is a Challenger SRT8, next door east is grandson's Camaro SS, and a good friend just bought his SECOND Shelby (his daughter inherited #1). Of the selection, while all are pretty decent interpretations of the performance pony cars, I'd take the Shelby. I know, it's not a fair comparison, but if I could afford a $50K plaything, that would be it.
Good luck getting a new Shelby (or Super-Snake) Mustang for 50K, Lil. I don't know what they are charging in your area of Houston, but here in the D.C. area, you're looking at BIG mark-ups. Same for the limited-production Corvette ZR-1 and, to a lesser extent, the Z06.
Old 07-03-13, 07:29 PM
Giorgio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look how was this Camaro! A Brazilian who did not know how to take care of his Transformers.

http://www.pecaspracarro.com/chevrolet-camaro-ss-2011/
Old 07-03-13, 07:49 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot translate anything there, so all I'll add is, holy thread bump batman!

Btw I did test drive one, I found the lack of visibility a deal breaker.
Old 07-04-13, 06:28 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
Btw I did test drive one, I found the lack of visibility a deal breaker.
Yep, me too.

It just feels big to me, and I can't see the corners of the car at all, and it's just claustrophobic. Even though the performance is high, I was ready to get out of the car. It just wasn't fun enough for me, mostly because of the lack of visibility and driving position.

The Mustang is much better in this regard, but I still can't get past the 'Stang's interior. But I nicely modded 'Stang sure is a looker...
Old 07-04-13, 02:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have been curious about the ZL1 and the GT500. It seems like insane power for the price of a mid sized luxury sedan. I hated the interior of the SS I rented in Hawaii but it was more fun to drive than anything I had driven in a while. ( a lot of years of Lexus sedans )
Old 07-05-13, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I can't see the corners of the car at all, and it's just claustrophobic. Even though the performance is high, I was ready to get out of the car. It just wasn't fun enough for me, mostly because of the lack of visibility and driving position.
I guess everyone is different, but I didn't see it as claustrophobic to the point of being undriveable. Still, there's no doubt that it's certainly no fishbowl when it comes to outward visibilities, and ranks as one of the worst new vehicles on the market in that regard,

The Mustang is much better in this regard,
True, but check the Mustang GT's manual transmission out thoroughly before you consider one. I found several flaws with the design........including that annoying 1-4 forced skip-shift (at least on the 2011 model I reviewed) unless you use a heavy throttle to overrride it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-13 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Giorgio
Look how was this Camaro! A Brazilian who did not know how to take care of his Transformers.
Welcome to CL, Amigo. I see you are a brand-new poster.

I see you are from Brazil (Parana). I visited that area once many years ago (and saw Iguazu Falls).

As far as Camaros go, I take it that the ones down there (like many other Brazilian cars) run on alcohol...or at least E85?

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-13 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 12:46 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess everyone is different, but I didn't see it as claustrophobic to the point of being undriveable. Still, there's no doubt that it's certainly no fishbowl when it comes to outward visibilities, and ranks as one of the worst new vehicles on the market in that regard
Yeah, I couldn't take it. Deal-breaker for me, don't feel comfortable hauling-azz if I can't properly see out of the car.

True, but check the Mustang GT's manual transmission out thoroughly before you consider one. I found several flaws with the design........including that annoying 1-4 forced skip-shift (at least on the 2011 model I reviewed) unless you use a heavy throttle to overrride it.
Yeah, that 1-4 forced skip is horrible, I agree. The automatic is pretty decent though.

Nevertheless, until they overhaul that "throwback" interior, it's a deal-breaker for me.

But I have seriously considered a Mustang GT in the last year or so....

Last edited by KevinGS; 07-05-13 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 01:10 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Luckily the skip shift feature is easy to disable.
Old 07-07-13, 02:06 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SHIFT BLOCKING???

Damn, I hope that GM is not mentally-retarded to install this SKIP SHIFT or SHIFT BLOCKING rubbish on the 7th gen Corvette 7-speed Manual Stick Shift