Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Single drivers that use carpool...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 10:23 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
its the Cali road law rant thread .
I'd rather have our laws than your roads Joe
Old 09-04-10, 12:02 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One time I was coming back from a party at around 4AM, putting along in the fast lane going 65 because the roads were bad. An E46 BMW flies past me on the right. I see a car coming up behind me so I switch over to let him pass. The BMW changes 2 lanes into the carpool lane and the car that was coming up behind me passes. It was CHP. CHP followed him into the carpool lane and the idiot switches out on a double yellow line before CHP lit him up. I don't think he knew it was CHP before he was pulled over.

Speeding.
Illegal lane change.
Carpool violation.

Instant win.
Old 09-04-10, 12:16 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

my buddy was caught in the carpool lane, but he wasnt trying to be in it in the first place. an accident had just occured, so he was forced to merge into the carpool lane. a moto cop followed him for a bit, ticketed him, and eventually my friend contested, saying it was due to unpredictable circumstances that he had to drive in the carpool lane. he couldve' gotten out of the lane immediately, but wanted to wait until the nearest dotted white lines were made available, as a double yellow line cross carries a hefty fine as well. he won his appeal, too!
Old 09-04-10, 12:19 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Seeing people like that getting pulled over in front of your eyes makes me smile inside and out!

I think this thread title should be changed to "Your Daily Commute RANT thread"

why?? cuz i gotta rant again.. this time to lifted trucks with HIDs!! Tho our cars are equipped with auto dimming mirrors... its STILL bright and pointing straight at my eyes... my whole cabin is lit blue cuz of it too..

also on the list are people who drive with their highbeams on...
Old 09-04-10, 12:32 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
Seeing people like that getting pulled over in front of your eyes makes me smile inside and out!

I think this thread title should be changed to "Your Daily Commute RANT thread"

why?? cuz i gotta rant again.. this time to lifted trucks with HIDs!! Tho our cars are equipped with auto dimming mirrors... its STILL bright and pointing straight at my eyes... my whole cabin is lit blue cuz of it too..

also on the list are people who drive with their highbeams on...
My friend just points his side or rear view mirrors towards the driver's face. They hate that! This technique becomes VERY useful while waiting at drive thru's.
Old 09-04-10, 12:38 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Since July 2009, the California fine has been changed to $1100.
well the signs still say minimum $381. It depends on how many times you have made a carpool violation
Old 09-04-10, 05:37 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need to crack down more on carpool lane violators here in FL. Half the cars in that lane usually only have 1 person in them, then when they see a cop, they almost cause accidents trying to get out of the lane. It's not like the cops didn't already see them. I don't think the fines for HOV violations are as steep as you guys have in CA though.
Old 09-04-10, 06:42 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

I've never even seen a carpool lane, but I am also one of those people who just gets mad when I see someone breaking the rules while everyone else follows them.

Does it really matter if some guy is parked in the fire lane while his wife runs into the store to buy cheese? Probably not, but I'll be damned if I don't double my blood pressure every time I see a car there.
Old 09-04-10, 07:35 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOV lanes are watched pretty closely here, so I don't usually see many violators.

Has anyone ever seen someone try to cheat by using a dummy in their passenger seat?
Old 09-04-10, 09:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
I see that all the time from my daily commute. It's worse when they decide it's a good idea to get in/out of the carpool lane by crossing the double yellow line.

I usually let these things go but I swear one day I will just jot down license plate number to report them. It sucks for me because I drive in the carpool lane (legally ) and it's usually backed up due to so many cheaters out there.
When we were travelling on the road during our overseas vacation, we always travelled in the car as a family (at least four passengers at the very least) so we always used carpool lanes in your country legitimately.

However, we have to admit that my dad DID OFTEN cross this double yellow line (especially when travelling along roads like I-80 San Fransisco and I-15 North).

Thankfully, no police or authorities caught us and even then..........I guess they might let us off a bit easily (since my dad is using an INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE so yeah, more considerations for those who are not used to driving on foreign roads).

So there.

P.S.
Probably the hardest thing during my first experience in America in regards to the driving experience is:
-Driving on streets and roads on foreign soil
-Slight learning curve with the GPS navigation (and few delays, hitches, bugs)
-Proceedure for making turns on a stoplight in San Fransisco Bay Area roads...

The last point because I noticed that there are no traffic signals for turns.......so it was something that new to us foreign drivers and we couldn't get how it worked during our stay in the Bay Area.

So that's pretty much it
Old 09-04-10, 10:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I do it if there is an emergency. Other than that I wouldnt even risk it. Here in AZ the system is way better than CA. The carpool lane is a carpool lane from 6-9 am and 4-7pm. Other than that its an extra lane.
Old 09-04-10, 02:44 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

It actually doesn't bother me when single passenger cars are in the HOV lane, because it doesn't affect me. I'm more annoyed by people that drive under the speed of the traffic in the middle lane(s) when the right lane is open.
Old 09-04-10, 03:06 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Danimal
Does it really matter if some guy is parked in the fire lane while his wife runs into the store to buy cheese? Probably not, but I'll be damned if I don't double my blood pressure every time I see a car there.
Same here, Dan. I have gone so far as to ask the local PD to step up their enforcement of the fire lanes, and have contacted the Fire Marshal to have him coordinate the effort. My understanding is that the grocery store I frequent has had very few cars parked there lately, and I think I'm responsible. This was not based solely on my irritation, however. I saw a little kid almost get creamed by a car because some yutz in a pickup decided his truck didn't need to be parked legally. The PD informed him otherwise after a quick call with a license plate from me.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I do it if there is an emergency. Other than that I wouldnt even risk it. Here in AZ the system is way better than CA. The carpool lane is a carpool lane from 6-9 am and 4-7pm. Other than that its an extra lane.
I agree, our system is mo betta. But it's 3-7, not 4. I wish it was 4, though!! I'd go in to the office early just to run out at 3.45 and cut my commute by 15 minutes.

Big Mack
Old 09-05-10, 09:04 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexJaq
It actually doesn't bother me when single passenger cars are in the HOV lane, because it doesn't affect me. I'm more annoyed by people that drive under the speed of the traffic in the middle lane(s) when the right lane is open.
+1

If someone wants to risk an $1,100 ticket b/c they're in a rush, then by all means.
Old 09-05-10, 11:54 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sc-driver
My friend just points his side or rear view mirrors towards the driver's face. They hate that! This technique becomes VERY useful while waiting at drive thru's.
that'd definitely worth trying. i hate raised trucks with bright lights. some of my co-workers had a refractive type tint installed in their rear windows. gives those truck drivers a dose of what other people on the roads have to deal with.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
i wouldn't mind this at all, as it serves a purpose. on one of the busier freeways, its 3+ passengers during rush hour times, and 2+ all other times. to me that serves no purpose. it just clogs up the few lanes on the freeway even more, and its worse as construction for repairs are well underway.
Originally Posted by CAK 500
HOV lanes are watched pretty closely here, so I don't usually see many violators.

Has anyone ever seen someone try to cheat by using a dummy in their passenger seat?
ive seen mannequins, super sized stuffed teddy bears with clothing on, a watermelon covered in a baby blanket, and a few carved pumpkins with shades (around halloween time)...all could pass as "passengers" if there are no reasons for a cop to check out the ride.

Quick Reply: Single drivers that use carpool...