Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

help! (car accident)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 02:32 PM
choppastik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the misunderstanding, the car is still there, I'm thinking did I go to a bad bodyshop, and I'm not sure if the unframe is bent or not, because after the accident and then when I came out of the car the driver side door made a loud noise. And I think it's a bad shop but not sure, because they offered me they will not put the car in carfax stating the car has been in a car accident, savEs me money when
I go re trade it in, is that a good or bad thing they are doing?
Old 08-15-10, 05:09 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

First off, the car is unibody. There is no such thing as uniframe or unframe. When a vehicle has damage, many parts that don't normally make noise will. This is not in any way, shape, manner, or form an indicator that the 'frame' is bent (there really is no frame in most cars today). The body shop will take measurements of frame rails and mark points to determine if everything is in or out of spec. It takes a lot of bang to truly bend these rails out of spec far enough for them not to be able to be fixed with a frame straightener.

As for the quality of the shop, it definitely sounds shady that they are willing to "help" you by not reporting the accident to Carfax. The insurance company will do it, too, but it's still the shop's responsibility to ensure the car is listed appropriately with records. When body panels are replaced, the serials are not matching any longer, so a knowledgeable buyer will not fall victim, but it doesn't make it right.

Big Mack
Old 08-16-10, 07:51 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do yourself a favor and just make sure the body shop you end up with guarantees their work for the life of the vehicle. This isn't too much to ask for a reputable place.

A 2010 vehicle should have new parts. The body shop I go to won't even use used parts, especially if the car has 15k miles or less (according to his personal guidelines).

Good luck....
Old 08-16-10, 08:30 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Glad you and your girl are ok!

That body shop sounds shady to me. I'd get a written guarantee or something about there work.

Also the accident should show up on the carfax with the insurance claim if i'm not mistaken.

Fortunatly for me there is a Lexus dealer with a great body shop near me. I've brought 4 cars there the past 10 years. Not just Lexus makes either.

The car being a 2010 I would make sure they use OEM parts. I wouldn't want aftermarket on such a new car. Good luck and let us know how it turns out
Old 08-16-10, 10:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by choppastik
i think i gave my car to a bad bodyshop,they said they wouldnt put my car through carfax,good thing or bad?name of bodyshop west delray collision center,name of the towing company westway towing(they are horrible,from reviews...but gave me excellent service)lalala worried!!!!
your insurance co should have a list of "pre-approved" body shops. Call your carrier, and find out if this shop is one of the approved shop. If not, find an approved shop, and have the new shop go pick your car up from the other one.