Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NY Cabs to get LWB Ford Fusions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Post NY Cabs to get LWB Ford Fusions?

I can't find the link

Originally Posted by ;66731740
Go to just about any American airport and you will see many Lincoln Town Cars, mostly black, picking up and dropping off passengers. Now, these upscale taxis have a much more environmentally-friendly competitor – the Royale Hybrid Electric Livery Vehicle (HELV). Royale Limousines, a Cabot Coach Builders Company in Haverhill, Massachusetts, is a Certified Lincoln Qualified Vehicle Modifier and Cadillac Master Coachbuilder. Besides building many stretch limousines and limo buses, starting in 1998 it also added six inches to many Lincoln Town Cars, thus creating the predecessor to the now factory-built Town Car Executive L.

The new HELV is basically a stretched Ford CD338 platform so it’s available now in hybrid Ford Fusion form or as a Mercury Milan version next spring. Royale has developed a method to cut the hybrid cars in half and then stretch overall length and wheelbase by six inches. The company also adds many luxury upgrades.

The Ford Fusion Hybrid L offers a nearly a 20 percent increase in rear legroom without compromising ride quality or adding significant weight. It also offers about 95 percent of the rear leg and shoulder room of the Lincoln Town Car Executive L. Besides extending the chassis, the rear doors are longer for easier entry and exit.

The Ford Fusion Hybrid is powered by a fuel sipping 2.5 liter, Atkinson cycle four-cylinder engine mated to an eCVT automatic transmission compared to the Lincoln’s thirsty V-8. The Fusion and Milan hybrids have 41 mpg city/36 mpg highway EPA fuel economy ratings and a combined fuel economy rating of 39 mpg. This compares to only 18 mpg for the Lincoln Town Car L. Most important for livery vehicles plying urban routes is the city mpg rating comparison, with the Fusion topping the Town car’s 15 mpg city rating by an additional 26 mpg in city driving.

The HELV can travel at speeds up to 47 mph in electric mode exclusively on its nickel metal hybrid battery. Regenerative braking helps keep the batteries charged. With its 17.5 gallon fuel tank the Fusion livery can travel 682 miles between fill-ups, twice as far as the Town Car. When the engine is automatically shut down rather than idling during stops, amenities including dual air conditioners run off the accessory battery so there’s little or no idling emissions. The HELV has a Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) rating.

Probably the most important item to an operator is lower annual fuel cost. Based on $3.00 a gallon gasoline and 70,000 miles per year, the fuel cost is $5,385 versus $11,667 for the Lincoln. The HELV list price is about the same as a Lincoln Town Car. Plus, to reduce investment cost, the Fusion hybrid is eligible for a $3,400 tax credit from the federal government.

Royale is also looking at a stretch version for police applications. This would provide more room to carry the bad guys in the back seat, offering greater legroom and a wider rear door than the popular Ford Crown Victoria patrol car.
Quoted from GREENCAR.COM

Old 07-25-10, 08:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are these LWB fusions going to be available to retail customers or just fleet?

Its been bothering me that there's not a single moderately priced LWB car available on the market. If you want LWB, prepare to shell out 100K for a S/LS/7.

I want a LWB sedan, and I might actually consider LWB Fusion/Taurus myself.
Old 07-25-10, 08:43 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

In another recent thread I mentioned being picked up in one of these by the local limo company. It was OK, not a luxury scene at all, but did the job.

I was in the DC area last week and got Town Cars for my rides. I asked the drivers what they were going to use next. One guy said folks are moving to Escalades but are crying about the fuel costs. The other said, the Town Car has a mega trunk they need for the golf set. She was saying she will keep fixing and painting the Town Car because she can't see going to an Escalade or something smaller.
Old 07-25-10, 10:29 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that B pillar just looks too weird to me
but i wouldnt mind getting in one of these at the airport
Old 07-26-10, 06:07 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Looking at the fuel savings, these vehicles will pay for themselves in no time. A great idea. I was in a Town Car last year in Chicago and I think that the Fusion looks a lot more update inside and out. I'd rather be in that.
Old 07-26-10, 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Looking at the fuel savings, these vehicles will pay for themselves in no time. A great idea. I was in a Town Car last year in Chicago and I think that the Fusion looks a lot more update inside and out. I'd rather be in that.
Agreed, same in SF and SJ (common), right car for the task.
Old 07-26-10, 09:31 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
that B pillar just looks too weird to me
but i wouldnt mind getting in one of these at the airport
In attempt to keep costs down, it was probably cheaper to make the B pillar a bit fat and not have to redesign the rear door glass and internal parts to make it operate.

I think using this midsized car as a hybrid is a great solution for taxis and limos.
Old 07-26-10, 12:39 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Though very roomy in the back, I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a LWB Prius.

Anywho, Ford doesn't have a vast supply of batteries for their hybrids, making the availability tight, especially if they are adding MKZ hybrids. ...However, the Milan hybrid is dead so I guess that frees some up.