Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus: European dealership network going bye-bye?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 03:44 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lotus: European dealership network going bye-bye?

Lotus plans to reinvent itself, and in addition to a range of new products, a dealership makeover is in the cards. PistonHeads reports that Lotus CEO Dany Bahar sent out a letter to the company's European dealers informing them that their contracts will be terminated as of July, 2012. Why the long notice? The company's current contract with its dealers stipulates that Lotus must give two years notice prior to contract termination. The move will likely result in many dealers losing their ability to sell Lotus' wares, but current dealers will reportedly be given the opportunity to re-apply for a new contract.

Back in June Lotus announced to the world that it was entering the "Dawn of a New Era." Lotus has reportedly been spending its time and money picking up ex-Ferrari, Porsche and Aston Martin employees in an effort to build up its brand as a high-performance luxury make.
(Courtesy of Autoblog)
Old 07-08-10, 03:48 PM
tneig002
Rookie

So wait....are you telling me Lotus vehicles are going to get even better?
Old 07-08-10, 03:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Dynamically they are excellent cars, but marketing and sales efforts are dismal. They need to make themselves seen a little more. A new model every decade isnt going to do it.

They have an awesome performance philosophy that actually lines up with the green movement but we need more models , options, and maybe a car that has some creature comforts. The Evora is a great start but ....
Old 07-08-10, 03:57 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at the Lotus dealer yesterday and wanted a brochure on the new Exige, and all they had from Lotus corporate was the brochure for Lotus accessories like t shirt and caps haha.

Those Lotus corporate guys in Atlanta, what do they do to pass time at work
Old 07-08-10, 04:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

dude you should have seen what the Lamborghini, Rolls, and Bentley dealerships looked like a few weeks back when I went in to take some photos.
Old 07-08-10, 04:47 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Seems like they're gathering some good people; Lotus could maybe make a play to seriously compete w. Porsche in a minute.
Old 07-09-10, 06:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Dynamically they are excellent cars, but marketing and sales efforts are dismal. They need to make themselves seen a little more. A new model every decade isnt going to do it.

They have an awesome performance philosophy that actually lines up with the green movement but we need more models , options, and maybe a car that has some creature comforts. The Evora is a great start but ....
smh this is not true. They have a very limited lineup and don't have high sales goals. Their best seller for years has been a 2 seat, 2000 lbs track car. They are expanding their lineup slowly

From what we are learning they are reinventing themselves and that is the reason for this letter.