Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Jaguar XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2011 Jaguar XJ

By CL member request, a Review of the 2011 Jaguar XJ.

http://www.jaguar.com/us/en/#/new_xj/

In a Nutshell: Jaguar classiness, Jaguar glitz, Jaguar price, and (probably) Jaguar unreliability.

I've received several CL requests for a review of the all-new Jaguar XJ, and, at first, I was going to (possibly) wait and do it in December for the Special Holiday Review I do each year. Usually, for the Holiday Review, I either do a upmarket Lexus product (since this is primarily a Lexus forum) or one of its prime competitiors such as BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Cadillac, Mercedes, etc.... But, a few CL members asked me to hurry it up, so I'm going to do the Jag now. I also plan to review, by CL request, the new Hyundai Equus luxury sedan, the most upmarket model the company has ever released in America, when it arrives later this year. The new Hyundai, BTW, will be one of the XJ's competitiors, though at a considerably lower price, probably starting around 50-55K.

I also decided to do the new Jaguar now (while I had the chance) because, while the firm does not have any immediate plans to leave the American market, Jaguar sales in America are not particularly good (the AWD Jaguar X-class, for example, was recently dropped). We have seen, with Isuzu, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer, Mercury, and Saab, what happens to companies and divisions whose sales figures do not satisfy the company marketers. Jaguar, of course, is no longer owned by Ford, but, along with Land Rover, is part of India-based Tata motors, so it is no longer being run by American management, and the decisions (including where to sell) no longer come from Detroit.

But, for now, Jaguar is still alive and kicking in America, and their products are here for us to enjoy. Despite rather low sales nationwide, they are fairly common in the D.C. area (perhaps because of the high average incomes here). Jaguars, of course, do suffer from their old image of unreliability, going back a number of decades, especially with the old British Lucas electrical systems. A common Jaguar joke once was......"I drove mine all the way across the country, and it only caught fire once." After Ford bought the company, reliability did improve somewhat in the early-mid 1990's, both with Consumer Reports and other reliability sources. But it then relapsed again, and has generally been below average ever since, though Consumer Reports sometimes has incomplete data due to Jaguar's low sales. The XJ, of course, is all-new this year, so potential reliability is unknown, but past Jaguar products don't inspire a lot of confidence. Jaguar's standard factory warranty is 4/50 for the entire vehicle, without the longer 5-7 year drivetrain warranties common to most luxury-grade vehicles, though the Rust/Corrosion warranty goes out to 6/Unlimited.

The XJ, of course, fits into the top of Jaguar's American-market sedan lineup, playing Big Brother to the smaller (but still fairly good-sized) XF series (which I reviewed in 2008), and the now-discontinued AWD X-Class. The X-class was discontinued, probably not only because of low sales and poor build quality, but also because it was based on the Ford Mondeo platform, and Jaguar no longer has any attachments to Ford. For 2011, the all-new XJ series comes in two wheelbase lengths; Standard and Long (the long-wheelbase version gives a LOT more rear legroom...more details on that below). Three V8 engines are offered; a standard 5.0L with 385 HP and 380 ft-lbs. of torque (I think the torque on the standard one may be underrated), and two Supercharged 5.0L models......one wth 470 HP and 424 ft-lbs., and the other with 510 HP and 461 ft-lbs. All three versions are available in short or long wheelbases (Long-wheelbase models being labeled XJ-L). No AWD is offered....all versions are strictly RWD. A single transmission is offered....a conventional 6-speed automatic with manual Sport-Shift with column-shift paddles. One body style is offered....a 4-door sedan (and a VERY sleek one at that...more details below).

For the review, though I looked over several different XJ models inside and out for reference, I chose a short-wheelbase, standard XJ model. I did that for three reasons. First, the review requests did not specify a specific XJ model. Second, I had already gotten a taste of what a 500-HP V8 with 450+ ft-lbs. of torque can do in an upmarket Euro-sedan when I reviewed the Mercedes E63 AMG (that car was NHRA-drag worthy). Third, the new XJ Supercharged models, especially with the long-Wheelbase, were, IMO, prohibitively expensive, and I figured (rightly or wrongly) that most XJ buyers probably would not want to spend that kind of money (they listed for around 90K, and, in some cases, 100K or more). Or, if they DID want to spend that much, most buyers would (probably) be looking at the BMW M5, Mercedes AMG, or some of the top-line Audi S-models first. Even the base XJ I reviewed was not exactly chump change, listing for a healthy $73,500....as much as a comparably well-equipped RWD Lexus LS460. I asked the salespeople there how much a lease deal would be on the model like I drove, and they answered that with the typical lease-term and money-down, some $1300-1400 a month. They didn't specifically mention it, but I suspect that part of it is Jaguar's typically high depreciation rate that tends to lower residual values. So, don't look for any bargains if you lease one either, although, in some cases, you can deduct the payments off your taxes if you use the car primarily for buisness (like real-estate agents or bankers, for example, trying to impress their clients).

So, what was this classy, not-so-cheap luxomobile like on the review? Read on.

Model Reviewed: 2011 Jaguar XJ

Base Price: $71,650

Options:

Driver Assistance Pack: $1000

Destination/Freight: $850 (slightly higher than average)

List Price as Reviewed: $73,500

Drivetrain: RWD, Longitudionally-mounted, 5.0L V8, 385 HP @ 6500 RPM, Torque, 380 ft-lbs. @ 3500 RPM,
6-speed automatic with Manual Sport-shift, Active (Limited-Slip) rear differential.

EPA Mileage Rating: 16 City, 23 Highway

Exterior Color: Polaris White

Interior: Truffle/Cashew (Black/Beige) Leather with Burl Walnut Veener Trim

PLUSSES:

Jaguar-classy but (IMO) overly-streamlined body.

Impressively-done grille.

Will easily impress your Friday or Saturday-night date.

Muscle-car power, even with the standard engine.

Smooth drivetrain refinement, despite the power.

Escapes the Federal Gas-Guzzler tax despite its high power and weight (4000-4300 lbs).

Quiet ride and good noise control.

Effective, right-now braking action with no sponginess.

Quick steering response.

Relatively flat cornering with little body roll.

Superb seat leather.

Many different interior leather/wood trim/headliner combinations available.

Outstanding electro/analog dash gauges.

Handsome, comfortable, all-leather steering wheel.

Superb interior trim.

Excellent, well-finished interior materials.

A Chrome-Lovers' Delight inside.

Borderline-killer stereo sound.

Good interior hardware.

Great rear legroom in long-wheelbase models.

Well-finished trunk carpeting.

Classy, Infiniti-style analog dash clock.

Arctic-grade air-conditioning cools the interior quickly.

Dual front/rear sunroofs.

Superb-feeling headliner, especially in the upmarket models.

Numerous interior flip-compartment/storage areas.

15 different exterior paint colors available.

Easy battery accessability despite trunk location.

MINUSES:

No AWD option.

Long-wheelbase and Supercharged versions very pricey.

Questionable reliability potential.

Ride comfort stiffer than expected, even in base version.

Power-steering effort slightly overboosted.

Poor underhood engine accessability.

Unsupportive front seats.

Small trunk opening because of the rear roof line.

Skimpy trunk space for a car this size.

Non-folding rear seats.

Temporary spare tire unfit, IMO, for this class of car

Marginal headroom for tall persons in back.

Unmarked, chrome power-door lock switches.

Awkward (IMO) transmission-shift **** and parking-brake tab.

Awkward-closing dash air vents.

Complex video touch-screen controls for stereo and climate control systems.

Restricted, Peek-a-Boo rear vision out the back.

Good paint job, but not quite to some luxo-car levels.

No more leaping-cat hood ornament.

Rather expensive leasing deals.

Unimpressive standard factory warranty.

EXTERIOR:

Most people feel that there has never been any such thing as an ugly or bad-looking Jaguar product. In general, I tend to agree.....but that doesn't mean that I always agree with, or like, what Jaguar does with its styling. Nevertheless, it's hard to argue with the innate beauty of the XF model, marred only by its odd, peanut-bulge headlight covers. The new XJ, at first glance, retains much of the XF's beauty, with a bullet-shaped profile that has the general outline of something that a soldier or Marine would shoot out of an M-16 rifle. But the roofline, IMO, is too low (it makes for small windows and poor rear-vision.....more on that below) and significantly impedes on both truck space and the trunk opening itself. Normally, I don't care for big, in-your-face grilles (Audi, Bentley, or Chrysler-300-style), but Jaguar seems to know how to do it with class. Even though it is chrome-plated plastic and not real chrome, the big, wire-mesh grille is still, IMO, very classy and impressive (Cadillac V-products use smaller but similiar wire-mesh grilles that are metal, not plastic, and have a diffrent color). The XJ's grille has, of course, the circular, snarling-cat Jaguar logo on it, though the traditional leaping-cat hood ornament is gone (Come on, Jag, bring it back...that's too nice a tradition to get rid of).

The paint job is generally well-done, but not quite to the levels of some of its competitors, especially Audi and Lexus....it's about on the same level now as the more recent BMW paint jobs. Especially with the darker colors, it was generally smooth, but with a hint of orange-peel. Compensating for this (and a pleasant surprise when I looked at the brochure) were color-plates for some FIFTEEN exterior colors, most of which, as expected, were on the dull side, but including a couple of brighter and more classy ones as well, especially for the Supercharged models. A VERY wide variety of interior trim is also available.....more on that below. The doors, overall, felt heavy and solid, but, strangely, the sheet metal would bend noticeably if you pressed on it....that didn't seem to be the case as much with the hood and trunk lid. The twin exterior mirror-housings seemed to have plastic of reasonably high quality, and included integrated turn-signals. The ten-spoke alloy wheels on the base XJ, IMO, looked good, but the 45-series tires (the Supercharged models get 40s) looked, to me, a little too sport-oriented for a base-version luxury car of this type (this was verified on the test-drive....more on that below). All of the exterior trim (especially the aforementioned grille) was impressively-done, well-fitted, and seemed of good quality.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the large and rather heavy hood, and, of course, two nice gas struts hold it up for you. There is the expected underhood insulation pad (a quite thick one, I might add), and it does do a good job of controlling engine noise...more on that later.

Most luxury/upmarket vehicles, IMO, have generally poor underhood layouts because of the large engines and the tendency to hide everything with big, unnecessary plastic covers. The XJ, of course, is no exception, although it is equally true that most buyers of this class of car usually don't do their own work underhood anyway. Still, I have to call them as they are designed, and, while the XJ is not the worst I've seen underhood, it is far from ideal. The longitudionally-mounted 5.0L V8 fits in rather snugly, but there is a small amount of space at the front of the engine block to reach down and get to some components. Virtually all of the components above, though, are blocked with a big plastic engine-cover, as are most of the components surrounding the engine as well. The battery, however, is not underhood...it is back in the trunk, under the floor, yet fairly easily accessable...more on that later. I don't remember seeing an oil dipstick (many Euro-luxury cars these days have electronic oil-monitors instead, but I didn't see one listed in the brochure either). The supercharged models, of course, have more tubing, cooling and hardware underhood than the base models.

INTERIOR:

Though not totally without faults and irritating features, the interior of the XJ is a VERY impressive place....even more so in the Supercharged and long-wheelbase models. Jaguar is not in the habit of doing second-class interiors, and the new XJ, as the American-market flagship, of course, carries on the tradition. The overall theme, with the long wrap-around instrument-panel arc of wood trim, vaguely mimics the new Buick LaCrosse, but, of course, with far more trim and far more expensive materials inside. The steering wheel is ALL leather, even the spokes, but still has the required buttons/switches with the leather on the spokes. MANY different colors/patterns for the leather, wood, dash and headliner trim are available....check the brochure or the web site for the details. This is a pleasant surprise in a world of two basic interior colors; gray and beige/tan (sometimes black), and, to me, it shows that Tata Motors is willing to spend what it takes to offer the customer a real choice inside. Normally, you have to move up to the Rolls-Royce/Bentley/Maybach class to get this kind of custom interior choice. The leather used on the seats is real, soft, smooth, supple leather....none of that M-B Tex, Vinylite, "Leatherette", or imitation crap that a number of German manufacturers use. No, with the XJ, you pay for nice leather, and you get it....better, IMO, than even the leather in the Little Brother Jaguar XF.

Too bad, though, that the nice, plush, leather is the cover for some rather unsupportive seats. Everything on the seats is power-operated, of course, with chrome seat-switches even for the power headrests, but the front cushions are rather flat and don't give a lot of side-support. This is a little strange in a car with such good handling capababilities and flat cornering (more on that later). The seats are both heated and air-conditioned, although the touch-screen video controls for that (and for some stereo and climate-control functions) are a little complex and difficult to use....though not quite as hard as BMW's I-Drive or Audi's MMI. The other climate and stereo on/off *****, though, are well-done and well-finished. Legroom/footroom is fine up front and a little tight in the rear on the standard-wheelbase models, but MUCH better in back on the long-wheelbase models; almost limo-like. Headroom, on both models, is compromised a little by the low roofline and the twin front/rear power-sunroofs. Up front, the power-seat cushions lower enough that taller people can fit in without problems...in back, of course, with the non-adjustable/non-folding seats, it is more difficult. The stereo buttons are easy to use, but some functions have to be done through the video-screen window....same with the climate-control. The air-conditioning cools down the interior very quickly (welcome to D.C. summers with humidity and 90 degrees). The long-wheelbase and upmarket XJ models have Rolls-Royce-style, durable, wood-panelled tables, for rear-seat passengers, that snap-fold and unfold into the backs of the front seats, and dual sunglass-case holders built into the rear ceiling. The plush, standard headliner/sun-visor material covers all the inside roof pillars from front to back, and is nice-enough-feeling as it is, but some XJs have an even MORE plush, suede-nap material that could easily have passed for Elvis Presley's shoes. Again, several different headliners are available; check the specs for details.

Many different wood-panel trims are available (again, check the specs for details), and the wood, while not as widespread on the middle-dash as on previous Jaguars, covers much of panels and the upper-arc of the dash, like on the new Buick Lacrosse. Chrome is used almost everywhere inside.......almost a throwback to a late 50s/early 60s Cadillac (yes, again, like Elvis would have driven). And, if Elvis is what you just happen to want to listen to, he will sound just great on the borderline-killer stereo sound. I especially liked the Infiniti-style chrome, jeweled, analog center-dash clock and the
full-electronic, but simulated-analog primary-gauge cluster. It's all done with electronics, but the back-lit gauge cluster, when you turn on the ignition, looks EXACTLY like a good, clear, easy-to-read analog circular-gauge set. The low roofline, though, and the shape of the C and D-pillars, make for small windows and difficult, Peek-a-Boo vision out the back.....a rear-camera helps somewhat when you put the transmission in reverse. Like on the smaller XF, which has an almost identical control design, I didn't particularly care for the rotary-click transmission shift-**** or the electronic parking-brake tab. The shift ****, like on the XF, drops down in the console when the ignition is off. I didn't care for the awkward-feeling twist shut/off **** on the dash air-vents, either.

But, minor complaints aside, this is a superb interior, with superb choices, and, IMO, more luxury-car interiors should be marketed and sold this way.
Well done, Tata.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Though well-finished with nice materials, the smallish cargo area seems to be a casualty of the roof line and the emphasis, on the long-wheelbase models, on the good rear-seat legroom. The trunk lid upens up with large, cylindrical supports, but the lid itself is rather small, a result of the very steeply-raked rear roofline. The trunk room inside is not impressive, especially for a car this big (the XJ is considered a full-size car, on the outside, by today's standards). The soft, plush, black carpet on the trunk floor and walls, however, though not thick, is well-done and has a pleasant feel to it. It has several chrome strips running across it (they appear to be real metal, not plastic). The rear seats, however, are fixed, and do not fold down for added cargo room (in some cars, this is not just cost-cutting, but also done to help rear-unibody frame stiffness). Under the floor is (you guessed it) a temporary spare tire. Normally, in lower-priced cars, I don't complain about that much any more, as that seems to be the norm now. But, in a car of this price, I don't think a real spare is too much to ask. The temporary spare, however, is mounted on a real alloy spare wheel instead of a cheap stamped-steel one, but the wheel is not of the same pattern as the factory wheels, and is painted a strange red-orange color. The battery is located just to the right of the spare tire/wheel, uncovered, and is relatively easy to reach, provided you don't carry a lot of cargo in the trunk and have to take it out to lift up the trunk-floor cover first.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the big, 5.0L V8 with a proximity key/fob and an engine START/STOP button, typical for upmarket cars there days. The V8 comes to life pretty much like a Lexus V8, with a very smooth, quiet idle (again, the underhood insulation pad does its job). Once underway, this is no slouch of a motor. Even without the superchargers on the upmarket models, it pushes your back firmly into the seat in the lower gears, and still has a good power reserve even at cruise speeds. Given the car's good acceleration and the heavy (4000 4300-lb. curb weight), I think the official 380 ft-lb torque figure may (?) be a little underrated. This car certainly doesn't NEED the superchargers on the upmarket models......it has good power without them. What's more, it delivers this power (at least on the base version) in a very refined manner, without a lot of exhaust noise or engine drone. But, if you want to run with some Mercedes AMGs, then go ahead and spring for the blower........however, like with the E63, you'll pay for it.

The 6-speed Auto-Manual-Shift transmsision is likewise smooth and quiet, though not quite as smooth as some Lexus units I've sampled. There's no manual-shift with the console-****, but column-paddles are provided. The unit, IMO, performs just fine with its six speeds.....for all but (maybe) extremely high-speed driving, I see little reason for the 7 and 8-speed units in some Mercedes and Lexus models, which, to me, are just overkill.

Forget all that stuff you remember, from the past, about soft-riding Jaguars that concentrate on ride comfort. The new XJ tosses most of that right out the window.....the chassis, even in the base version, as I see it, is clearly sports-oriented. The first clue, of course, was the appearance of the 45-series tires as I did the exterior inspection. But, upon driving it, it's clear that it's not just the tires, but a moderately-stiff suspension as well. Not excessively harsh, but firm enough to give relatively flat cornering, quick response, and little body roll. Jaguar calls the new electronic suspension "Adaptive Driving Dynamics" that, like other variable-damping systems, automatically adjusts the shocks for varying road conditions, but I didn't see a Comfort/Sport driver-control for it like some other upmarket cars have. The suspension (variable-damping or not) and low-profile tires combine to make most bumps noticeable....both felt and heard. Expect the Supercharged models, of course, with 40-series high-performance tires, to be even firmer. But, except for the bump-noise, the ride quietness and noise control is quite good...wind and powertrain noise are both well-muted. The long-wheelbase models, with their greater longitudional stability, may (?) help smooth things out a little over bumps......I didn't sample one. The power-steering unit gives quick (almost darty) steering response, but, being a little overboosted for my tastes, particularly at low speeds, lacks the BMW-telepathic feel.

The brakes, like those of most upmarket German sedans, give a Right-Now response, with almost no pedal softness or sponginess. The pedal has not only a quick but smooth feel as well, with good modulation and evenness of response. And the brake pedal location is OK for my big size-15 clown-shoes; I can move my foot from the gas pedal to the brake without it getting hung up on the bottom of the brake pedal, which is difficult in some vehicles.

THE VERDICT:

Well, we obviously have an all-new XJ here; one that combines a number of traditional Jaguar features with some breaking of some of those traditions. The rich wood trim, slick/smooth leather, glitzy chrome, quiet ride, powerful/refined drivetrain, and English-butler personality remain. The high price, of course, remains....particularly with the upmarket models. So, unfortunately, may (?) also the poor reliability, although with a new design, of course it's too early to tell.

In other areas, the old Jag features are gone. No more leaping-cat ornament on the hood. No more cushy-ride......this is clearly a sports (or sport-oriented) sedan. No more all-wood dash, but the new dash, in other ways, is just as impressive.

And, wow, what an interior. This is the way, IMO, that the luxury-car-interior buisness should be done. If you don't like one color/trim pattern....no problem. We've got several dozen more.

But no car, of course, is perfect, and, IMO, Jag still needs to deal with some things. The power steeering needs less low-speed boost. The tires/suspension, IMO, have (perhaps?) been compromised to much towards sportiness, at least in the base XJ model......give back some of that old cushiness. The driver and front-passenger could use more form-fitting seats (but with wide enough side-cushions for large people). A trivial matter, perhaps, but to me, a Jag isn't a jag without a leaping-cat hood ornament. A real spare tire, please. And, on a big family car this size, let's have a trunk that a family can actually USE for a vacation.

All in all, though, a well-done attempt at replacing a classic British icon with a worthy successor. A nice job, Tata.

And, as always............Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-10 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 04:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great review Mike.

I've only been able to do a "static review" of the XJ, and I agree with your comments on design and build quality. It does have a lot of flash and pizazz, and will attract a new generation of Jaguar enthusiasts.

And for what it is, this luxo-limo surpasses what the LS, 7-Series, and S-Class have to offer. It's a bit more exclusive, a bit more indulgent, and (with the Supersport) can prove it can have cat-like agility to compete with AMG, M, and F variants.

I think Jaguar's new direction to modern sportier cars (instead of conservative soft rides) will keep them in a somewhat sub-exotic halo. Something rare and different, but still convenient to drive everyday and relatively easy to maintain/repair.

I would love to see more entry-level models such as a revival of a compact X-Class, or a smaller roadster version of the XK. Jaguar seems to have the potential of being a boutique-style kind of automaker that can provide something different...

P.S. I do wish they kept the leaping cat hood ornament. It isn't an option? That would be one of the first mods I'd do on the car...
Old 06-14-10, 05:09 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review I'm loving Jaguar more and more. I can't wait to see they're 3 series killer...
Old 06-14-10, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Great review Mike.
Thanks. I didn't know that, as I did the full-review today, that rld-14 was also doing a smaller, mini-review. That was just a co-incidence. (and his was pretty good, too, though I disagree on a couple of points in the steering and front seats).

I've only been able to do a "static review" of the XJ, and I agree with your comments on design and build quality. It does have a lot of flash and pizazz, and will attract a new generation of Jaguar enthusiasts.
To be honest, I think that some of the XJ's designers looked at the new Buick LaCrosse for their basic interior pattern, though the XJ obviously uses far better materials....it had better, for the price.

I think Jaguar's new direction to modern sportier cars (instead of conservative soft rides) will keep them in a somewhat sub-exotic halo. Something rare and different, but still convenient to drive everyday and relatively easy to maintain/repair.
The problem is, EVERYBODY'S going that same route now. It's rare (but not unheard of) nowadays for a vehicle to have a softer suspension and higher-profile tires than on the vehicle it replaced. The new Lexus RX350 and Subaru Outback, admittedly, use high-profile tires than the models they replaced (up to 60-series from 55), but with (seemingly) firmer suspensions to compensate. The days of what I would call a soft ride are virtually extinct, although some vehicles today (especially BMWs) with good suspension engineering can ride surprising well with low-profile rubber. I found the BMW 335i, for example, acceptable in comfort, even with the Sport-Package 35-series tires.

I would love to see more entry-level models such as a revival of a compact X-Class, or a smaller roadster version of the XK. Jaguar seems to have the potential of being a boutique-style kind of automaker that can provide something different...

So would I. But Jag is a very image-conscious car maker, and, rightly or wrongly, they feel that the entry-level X-Class was a mistake, and that the company suffered for it.

P.S. I do wish they kept the leaping cat hood ornament. It isn't an option? That would be one of the first mods I'd do on the car...
Possibly. I didn't see it listed as an option, though. And, on a 70K+ car, why should you have to pay extra for it in the first place? Mercedes still has the 3-pointed star hood ornament on a number of its models.
Old 06-14-10, 08:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Love it Love it Love it Love it Love it!!!! Now that that's out of the way. I think this is a great successor to the last gen XJ. Although I really like the styling of the predecessor, I think the modern interpretation of what British luxury and sport nowadays, was well executed with this model.

As you stated Marshall, the XJ combines both traditional Jaguar features with a dose of modern tech, glitz, and glamor. I think it's safe to say now that the car now competes with the BMW, MBZ, Audi, and Lexus very well. Powerful yet refined, sporty yet poised.

I'm very happy that this company has seemed to find it's mojo again. Now if only a 3 series competitor were in the works...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So would I. But Jag is a very image-conscious car maker, and, rightly or wrongly, they feel that the entry-level X-Class was a mistake, and that the company suffered for it.
The mistake was that it seems no thought was put into that car. Built on a Mondeo platform with little changes, and some sad engines 2.5L V6 and 3.0L V6. I never saw any appeal to it. Now were they to do it again, rest assured I think they'd get the formula right this time.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 06-14-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Love it Love it Love it Love it Love it!!!!
Thanks. Glad the review helped.....that's why I do them.

Now that that's out of the way. I think this is a great successor to the last gen XJ. Although I really like the styling of the predecessor, I think the modern interpretation of what British luxury and sport nowadays, was well executed with this model.

As you stated Marshall, the XJ combines both traditional Jaguar features with a dose of modern tech, glitz, and glamor. I think it's safe to say now that the car now competes with the BMW, MBZ, Audi, and Lexus very well. Powerful yet refined, sporty yet poised.
I agree, if it is a sport-sedan or luxury/sport sedan you are looking for, and not a traditional or straight-luxury car. But those who prefer a traditional, softer ride and more cushiness are finding the pickings getting slim.

I'm very happy that this company has seemed to find it's mojo again. Now if only a 3 series competitor were in the works...

The mistake was that it seems no thought was put into that car. Built on a Mondeo platform with little changes, and some sad engines 2.5L V6 and 3.0L V6. I never saw any appeal to it. Now were they to do it again, rest assured I think they'd get the formula right this time.
From a purely design point of view, I personally don't think that, despite the link to the Mondeo platform, the X-Class was a mistake.....that is the company's view more than mine. It offered standard AWD (always an important feature in my book), a nice classy wood/leather Jaguar interior, classic Jaguar sedan styling, and fair amount of comfort. I'll admit, however, that the general build quality was somewhat lacking (the brand-new sample I first test-drove had several small creaks/rattles, and the X-Class reliability record went on to be well-below average. This car may have been done on the Ford Mondeo platform, but, style-wise, this was no Mondeo..........it was a Jaguar through and through.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-10 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 09:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree, if it is a sport-sedan or luxury/sport sedan you are looking for, and not a traditional or straight-luxury car. But those who prefer a traditional, softer ride and more cushiness are finding the pickings getting slim.
That's one thing Lexus with always have over these Euro makes lol (maybe even the Equus???)

From a purely design point of view, I personally don't think that, despite the link to the Mondeo platform, the X-Class was a mistake.....that is the company's view more than mine. It offered standard AWD (always an important feature in my book), a nice classy wood/leather Jaguar interior, classic Jaguar sedan styling, and fair amount of comfort. I'll admit, however, that the general build quality was somewhat lacking (the brand-new sample I first test-drove had several small creaks/rattles, and the X-Class reliability record went on to be well-below average. This car may have been done on the Ford Mondeo platform, but, style-wise, this was no Mondeo..........it was a Jaguar through and through.
Sorry should have clarified. I was referring to the chassis. Seemed to lack behind those of the 3 Series and C-class of those times. Agreed, it definitely looked like a jaguar. X-Type, S-Type, and XJ were definitely rooted in the old school. I think omitting RWD was a mistake. First off, it would have lowered the base price of the X-Class, and second the AWD is obviously heavier than that of RWD which hurt performance for two engines that seemed to be merely adequate IMHO. Not arguing that AWD is bad, just saying I think a lower entry point on a luxury/sport compact would have brought more clientel/interest. At least RWD as an option would have been nice. BMW and MBZ offer both choices, and Audi of course offers FWD and quattro. Glad they offered a wagon too. I guess I'm just dissapointed that in it's 2001-2009 run nothing really changed on that car. Would most definitely like to see Jaguar try again .

Last edited by Hoovey689; 06-14-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 10:07 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Thanx Marshall.....Most in-depth review of the XJ yet. Nicely done and well detailed. Lately I've become a fan of Jaguar again and I'm thoroughly impressed by their recent revival in the market. For the first time in years, I see people actively talking about their cars and actually expressing a desire to own them. The XF obviously started off their new face and I guess to a lesser extent so did the XK a few years back.

While at the NY Auto show this year they had a few on display and I unfortunately didn't get an opportunity to soak in the experience. I know it's probably one of the worst places to truly experience any car with the thousands of kids and ill behaved adults. While I'm regretfully not in the market for an XJ at the present time. I did finally get to see one at a Jag dealership and I have to agree it is an impressive vehicle. My wife was equally impressed and is willing to hold off on any XF purchase as she would be more than willing to make this her first Jag.

Jaguar seems more than ready to once again claim their tier 1 spot with their new flagship. I also love the customization of the interior color schemes. Though it would have been cool for them to release an AWD version for those who live in the snowbelt. What did you think of the Panoramic roof? And is the Navigation interface as slow as it is in the XF, as seemingly every reviewer complained of sliding menu? And yes as we all pretty much agree around here BRING BACK THE LEAPING CAT Jaguar! It was so distinctive and oozes class. IMO right up there with the Spirit of Ecstasy.
Old 06-15-10, 05:48 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Thanks for the review, always appreciated.
If I ever bought a Jag i would put the jaguar ornament on right away. So the trunk was really small? How was the second row comfort/room?
Old 06-15-10, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's one thing Lexus with always have over these Euro makes lol (maybe even the Equus???)
We'll see with the Equus. It's on my review list, whenever it gets here to the American market. I liked the prorotype I saw at the D.C. Auto Show last winter, but the production version might (?) not be the same.

Sorry should have clarified. I was referring to the chassis. Seemed to lack behind those of the 3 Series and C-class of those times. Agreed, it definitely looked like a Jaguar.
You're correct that it didn't drive like a 3-series, but then, again, what else in its class does? The 3-series chassis, IMO, is in a class by itself.

X-Type, S-Type, and XJ were definitely rooted in the old school. I think omitting RWD was a mistake. First off, it would have lowered the base price of the X-Class, and second the AWD is obviously heavier than that of RWD which hurt performance for two engines that seemed to be merely adequate IMHO. Not arguing that AWD is bad, just saying I think a lower entry point on a luxury/sport compact would have brought more clientel/interest. At least RWD as an option would have been nice. BMW and MBZ offer both choices, and Audi of course offers FWD and quattro. Glad they offered a wagon too. I guess I'm just dissapointed that in it's 2001-2009 run nothing really changed on that car. Would most definitely like to see Jaguar try again .
Some good points. I agree wth most of them. The reason the X-Class wagon didn't sell, though, was pretty much the same reason why most upmarket wagons don't in the U.S. (except for maybe some Volvos). Americans just don't seem to appreciate the hatchback/wagon's versatile body style in anything above entry-level and low-priced classes.
Old 06-15-10, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review, always appreciated.
Glad it helped.

If I ever bought a Jag i would put the jaguar ornament on right away.
At that price, you shouldn't HAVE to. It should already be there.

So the trunk was really small? How was the second row comfort/room?
The trunk, IMO, was small for the exterior size of the car. The XJ is considered a full-size car by today's standards, at least by exterior size (EPA, though, uses interior volume in its size classifications). And, compounding the small size, the rear seats don't fold, either, to expand the cargo area.

The back-seat room/comfort, overall was noticeably better in the long-wheelbase models than in the standard-size (I sampled both, in the static reviews). The legroom/footroom, in particular, was MUCH better (always noticeable with my big size-15 shoes), and the long-wheelbase models also had a Rolls-Royce style, wood-paneled fold-down tables built into the back of the front seats. Rear headroom was about the same, with the dual sunroofs, in both models....marginal for tall people.
Old 06-15-10, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Great review I'm loving Jaguar more and more. I can't wait to see they're 3 series killer...
Thanks.

Their 3-Series-killer (if it ever is produced) is going to have to do better then the X-Class did, though not all of the X-Class's problems were of its own doing.
Old 06-15-10, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Thanx Marshall.....Most in-depth review of the XJ yet. Nicely done and well detailed.
Sure. Anytime. Glad it helped.

My reviews are intended to be a complete description of the car from stem to stern, and what you get for your money, not a summary of performance figures like most magazines publish.

back.

I'm regretfully not in the market for an XJ at the present time. I did finally get to see one at a Jag dealership and I have to agree it is an impressive vehicle. My wife was equally impressed and is willing to hold off on any XF purchase as she would be more than willing to make this her first Jag.
Nothing to regret. Not everyone has the spare cash lying around that a new XJ costs, particularly the upmarket models. And the Germans, of course, provide powerful competition for Jaguar........always have.

What did you think of the Panoramic roof?
All of the cars I looked at yesterday had dual individual front/rear sunroofs. They, like most sunroofs, tended to rob a little headroom.

And is the Navigation interface as slow as it is in the XF, as seemingly every reviewer complained of sliding menu?
I'm probably not the best person to ask about automotive NAV and video screens. I've never been an expert in using them quickly and efficiently. But, in general, for me at least, the BMW I-Drive and Audi MMI are the most difficult. The specific menu in both Jags was, as you note, rather slow and confusing, but not the worst I've seen.

And yes as we all pretty much agree around here BRING BACK THE LEAPING CAT Jaguar! It was so distinctive and oozes class. IMO right up there with the Spirit of Ecstasy.
Jag marketers.....are you tuned in?

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-10 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 07:05 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent review of a fine car mmarshall, thanks!

I like the lines on the car and the interior looks very nice.

As for the leaping cat on the hood, I remember when my dad bought his 84 XJ6 Vanden Plas new that the leaping cat was a dealer installed option. Hopefully it still is as I agree with you and Phil that every Jag should have one of these on the front.
Old 06-15-10, 07:17 AM
LexFather

Great review Mike. A shame Jaguar doesn't allow for a nice comfy suspension standard and a sport suspension optional. I have also read of some complaining that its sport one way or the other and some don't want that in a Jag.

The interior is lovely isn't it! Would you spring for the LWB model and skip the SWB one that you drove?

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Jaguar XJ