Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Aston Martin Rapide
77.78%
Jaguar XJ Supersport
22.22%
Goat with a British accent
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Autocar: Jag XJ Supersport vs. Aston Martin Rapide

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 06:33 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned, sat in the XJ a couple weeks back (XJL)... so nice I didn't want to breathe in it.

Saw an Audi S6 Saturday night, V10 engine and the new Audi S5 cabrio side-by-side.... holy $%&@!!!!
Old 06-14-10, 07:33 AM
Milla...

XJ is very nice, got a chance to sit in one, big car. I've come to love big body cars that are off the beating path. Would the xj be my next one, hmm not sure, never really been a fan of the complete wrap around wood interiors. I think the AM is nice but as was mentioned they are better as a two seater.
Old 06-14-10, 10:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default British super-saloons: Aston Martin Rapide VS Jaguar XJ Supersport

From Autocar.uk

The Jaguar XJ Supersport and Aston Martin Rapide state-of-the-art mega-saloons have been pitched head-to-head.

Although they are separated by £55,000 - the short wheelbase Jaguar costs £85,000 and the Rapide £140,000 - they are very similar in many ways.

Both weigh close to 2000kg (the Jaguar about 90kg the lighter) and are a little over five metres long. Each has a large 'bent; engine mounted north-south in the nose.

But whereas the Aston has the kind of snug rear compartment you get by adding only 30cm of length to a coupe, the Jaguar has rear seats big enough for premiers and potentates, even before you specify the long wheelbase version.

On the road

In Supersports guise, the Jaguar's supercharged 5.0-litre V8 (503bhp at 6000rpm) has a 10 per cent advantage over the Aston's normally-aspirated 6.0-litre V12 (469bhp at 6000rpm). The Jaguar's torque output of 461lb ft at 2500rpm just shades the Aston's 443lb ft at 5000rpm.

These figures translate into genuine high-performance. The Jaguar easily achieves the 0-60mph sprint in 4.7sec, but is limited to 155mph. The Aston achieves 0-60mph in 4.9sec, but will go on to 184mph. On the roads of Essex there was no perceivable performance difference between the two.

The engines are fairly different, though, in smoothness and sound. The Aston's V12 starts with the brief, even whirring of a starter motor, then bursts smoothly into life with a sound so sophisticated and seamless that there is hardly a clue to the fact it's made up of separate impulses. Rev the engine and it gets a little louder but no rougher.

The Jaguar is quiet and smooth, of course, just as its limo character requires. But what surprises you is its guttural growl at full noise, along with the muted but unmistakable whine from the blower. This is a British luxury car with the merest whiff of Nascar available on request.

There are other quirks about the XJ's character. The car's ride is quite a lot firmer and sportier than equivalent Audi, Mercedes or even BMW models. Its suspension rates are variable via a push-push Sport button on the centre console, and there's a Dynamic mode that also varies the steering weight, accelerator response and transmission regime.

The XJ has grip and directional ability to match the very best, along with a sweetly responsive steering system that feels tauter when you select Sport and then Dynamic mode. It's a big car, though, and you sit higher than in the Aston, so it feels a little more cumbersome in tight going.

But the Jaguar's big secret is effortlessness. Attack a long, bumpy bend at speed and the car will scythe through so easily, so perfectly on line, that you find yourself wondering, "Was it the car or me?"

The Aston's ultra-close supercar connections mean that you're surprised, at first, to find it so smooth-riding and sophisticated on the more relaxed of its two suspension settings. The level ride draws benefit from the Rapide's extended wheelbase. You feel it in the agility and steering response, even against the Jag. Meanwhile, the car's competence at coping with potholes is surprising - until you select Sport, when you're in an Aston coupe again.

Conclusions

The Jaguar is better riding, much quieter over rough surfaces and - surprisingly - a little quicker. The Rapide is much quicker to turn, marginally better balanced in corners and more stable under maximum-effort braking.

The Aston feels tailored around you. The Jag's driving position is more conventionally spacious, and has a ultra-modern interior that beats the Aston.

Which to choose? If your heart is in supercars and you don't mind the price, the Rapide is the obvious choice. The Jaguar is simply more conventional - it's special, but less special than the Aston.
Old 06-14-10, 10:23 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I am a fan of the AM's looks and if money were no object, that would be my choice.
Old 06-14-10, 10:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I am a fan of the AM's looks and if money were no object, that would be my choice.
+1....
Old 06-14-10, 10:50 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Two very fine British machines. I love them both but at the end of the day...Aston Martin for me.
Old 06-14-10, 10:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aston Martin, and not just because it's more rare, exclusive, and expensive. The XJ is ugly.
Old 06-14-10, 11:56 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

This is hard. I love the XJ's roomy interior, but the Rapide is downright sexy. Both cars are great though.
Old 06-14-10, 12:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Style-wise, IMO the AM all the way.
Old 06-14-10, 01:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

The AM while nice is no where near as good looking as the coupes and lacks the subtle details that I have grown to love in other AM's. I have simply fallen in love with the new XJ after seeing it a couple times in person. Id probably choose the XJ as it will probably be a rare vehicle compared to its direct competitors.