Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Taurus SHO vs. G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 08:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Edmunds: Taurus SHO vs. G8 GT

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...iac-g8-gt.html

Since the day the name Ecoboost was first uttered at an auto show, it's been touted as an engine that would offer V8 performance with V6 efficiency. Well, Ford's twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 is finally here and the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO is the most performance-oriented vehicle yet to offer the new engine.

Still, the latest Taurus is a hulk of a sedan. It weighs in at well over 2 tons and stretches nearly 17 feet long. With that in mind, it seemed only fitting to compare the SHO to one of the biggest, most muscular American sedans around (at least for now) -- the 2009 Pontiac G8 GT.

Now technically, the Pontiac G8 GXP is a closer competitor in terms of price, but the GT's power output nearly matches the SHO. Oh, and the Pontiac is 300 pounds lighter, too. We also took into consideration that our Taurus didn't have the optional performance pack that adds a shorter rear end gear, stiffer springs, a thicker rear stabilizer bar, high-performance brake pads and summer tires. More importantly, adding the performance pack also gives you the ability to turn off the stability control system completely, a big advantage when you're running numbers.

So how did the "new" SHO measure up against the "old" GT? Click for the full results; you might be surprised.

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO

Odometer: 2,289
Date: 06/16/09
Driver: Chris Walton
Price: $45,475

Specifications:
Drive Type: All-wheel drive
Transmission Type: 6-speed automatic
Engine Type: V6
Displacement (cc / cu-in): 3,496cc (213 cu-in)
Redline (rpm): 6,700
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 365 @ 5,500
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 350 @ 1,700
Brake Type (front): Ventilated Disc
Brake Type (rear): Disc
Steering System: Electric power steering
Suspension Type (front): Independent, MacPherson Struts with stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Independent, multilink with coil springs and stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): 245/45R20 99V
Tire Size (rear): 245/45R20 99V
Tire Brand: Michelin
Tire Model: Primacy MXV4
Tire Type: all-season
Wheel Size: N/A
Wheel Material (front/rear): Alloy
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 4,404
Test Results:
0 - 30 (sec): 2.4
0 - 45 (sec): 3.9
0 - 60 (sec): 5.8
0 - 75 (sec): 8.7
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.2 @ 99.11
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 5.5
30 - 0 (ft): 31
60 - 0 (ft): 127
Braking Rating: Average
Slalom (mph): 62.9
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.80
Handling Rating: Average
Db @ Idle: 44.1
Db @ Full Throttle: 71.8
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 64.1

Acceleration Comments: The SHO didn't respond (good or bad) to brake-torque, so best launch was at 2,000 rpm. Revs didn't fall (good) but things didn't really start 'till 3,000 rpm. Upshifts at 6,250 were smooth but not especially quick. Accel was linear until end of quarter-mile where it lays down a bit. (Smoking brakes after 5th accel run.)

Braking Comments: Gravely tire noises, moderate pitch, soft pedal goes nearly to the floor. So-so initial bite, good in the middle then soft at the end.

Handling Comments: (Skid pad) Chassis is slow to respond to steering input -- not at the sidewall level, but due to body motions. Understeers with maintenance throttle and lifting to get rotation awakens stability control. (Slalom) To keep from arriving late at each cone, I had to dial the speed down. Friction-free steering with mild load-up. Just as understeer begins, stability control starts grabbing brake, then throttle dips. Would be nice to turn off stability control, but you can't do that unless you get the optional performance package. That same package also adds better tires which would likely improve results.

Vehicle: Inside Line's Long-Term Pontiac G8 GT

Odometer: 2,675
Date: 04/28/08
Driver: Chris Walton
Price: $31,845

Specifications:
Drive Type: Rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: 6-speed automatic
Engine Type: V8
Displacement (cc / cu-in): 5,967cc (364 cu-in)
Redline (rpm): 6,900
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 361 @ 6,300
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 385 @ 4,400
Brake Type (front): Ventilated Disc
Brake Type (rear): Ventilated Disc
Steering System: Speed proportional power steering
Suspension Type (front): Independent, MacPherson struts, coil springs and stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Independent, multilink, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): 245/40R19
Tire Size (rear): 245/40R19
Tire Brand: Bridgestone
Tire Model: Potenza RE050A
Tire Type: Summer performance
Wheel Size: 19-by-8-inches front; 19-by-8-inches rear
Wheel Material (front/rear): Alloy
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 4,021

Test Results:
0 - 30 (sec): 2.3
0 - 45 (sec): 3.9
0 - 60 (sec): 5.8
0 - 75 (sec): 8.3
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.95 @ 101.3
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 5.5
30 - 0 (ft): 28
60 - 0 (ft): 113
Braking Rating: Very Good
Slalom (mph): 63.4
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.86
Handling Rating: Good
Db @ Idle: 48.1
Db @ Full Throttle: 76.9
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 68.1

Acceleration Comments: Why is there no redline on the tach? Isn't this a sport sedan with a powerful engine? Bizarre, especially since manual mode holds gears and will bang off the rev limiter all day long. Quickest accel times came in Sport setting with transmission shifting on its own. There's very little wheelspin at launch.

Braking Comments: Some fade became obvious after 5-6 stops, but the distances continued to come down to a world-class 109 feet. Some ABS kickback is noticeable through the pedal, but the overall brake feel -- at least prior to the minor fading -- is confident.

Handling Comments: Transition to oversteer isn't as intuitive as I'd like. Perhaps this is due to minimal roll stiffness. Once the tail is out, however, the G8 GT is easily controlled. Little roll stiffness also means there's an uncomfortable amount of time between weight transfer in transitions in the slalom. Otherwise, handling is good with predictable limits. Oh, and stability control can be fully disabled.
While these numbers look pretty good and may earn the Taurus some respect, let's not forget the nearly $14,000 price gap that favors the Pontiac. As great as the new Taurus is, $45K places this car far out of it's league IMO.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 06-22-09 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 09:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

$45K does sound pretty steep. I wonder if production will be imited? It no doubt will appeal to SHO enthusiasts.
Old 06-22-09, 09:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
$45K does sound pretty steep. I wonder if production will be imited? It no doubt will appeal to SHO enthusiasts.
I believe SHO enthusiasts have moved on. They might own an IS-F I think both cars are superb, I've driven the Pontiac. The SHO really looks good, the 45k price is kinda steep for a "ford" but it has tons of goodies, size and a great interior.

Its funny to see both these cars tested at the track, where they won't be. I would have liked to read something on a real road, where they will be used.

Old 06-22-09, 09:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I wish we knew exactly what options this specific Taurus SHO had, so that we could determine exactly how much car was being had for $46K. No doubt the new Taurus is a lot of car, but that is also a lot of money to throw at a family sedan made by a mainstream company.

Personally, a 4,400lb, AWD, full size sedan is not my cup of tea any way you look at but the price tag just makes it seem ridiculous IMO, even with 365HP. You can get a nicely optioned GS 350 or E 350 for $5K more.

I would take the G8 all day long.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 06-22-09 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 09:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Its funny to see both these cars tested at the track, where they won't be. I would have liked to read something on a real road, where they will be used.
My thoughts exactly. While I would like to see some track results, an actual road test that considered things like ride quality, technology, features, gas mileage, and interior quality would have been a lot more appreciated.
Old 06-22-09, 09:21 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the SHO's hp to weight ratio is unfortunate. But, despite the similarities, these two cars just feel different to me. The Pontiac is more boy racer while the SHO is more executive hot rod. I still like the SHO better overall but I'd never buy the SHO if I were going to buy the Taurus. I think the lesser trims of Taurus are more than attractive enough.

BTW is there a link to the article itself?
Old 06-22-09, 09:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I updated the article with a link
Old 06-25-09, 10:22 AM
blessed
Driver School Candidate

Car and Driver did 0-60 in 5.2. I don't think 45k is to much for what you get. It out preforms the Acura RL and TL and Audi A6 and one of the Lexus in the same price range. I heard the interior was very well done one reviewer said it was very close to the the Audi' interior. A loaded SHO has quite a bit of options to play with it is about time Ford stepped up. This SHO might be similar the the 2009 CTS-V in that it is not the usual Ford like the CTS-V is not the usual Caddy. Both of those companies need to continue to make vehicles like that to compete with the rest of the auto world
Old 06-25-09, 10:54 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good ol' Aussie shootout in disguise - Ford vs. Holden and Holden (Pontiac) wins 1st round.

I must give Ford credit. They're bringing back the SHO trim level and the interior of the new Taurus is very elegant and quite surprising from a domestic manufacturer. Ford's done well. A pity that some money for the interior couldn't be spent on making the SHO lighter.
Old 06-25-09, 11:38 AM
LexFather

I don't think consumers worry about the weight, the car seems to be fast enough. Its the price that worries me, even if its well worth it.

blessed makes a great point, this makes Acuras seem like slow, ugly, overpriced garbage. It makes you scratch your head with the GS/A6/E/5 AWD vehicles as they start or are 10-15 grand more than the SHO.

The SHO seems like a segment buster truly, I hope people give it a chance.

Old 06-25-09, 12:13 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW,

I just built a loaded SHO (nav, camera, cruise) for $45,200. I went over to Lexus and built a GS 350 AWD with Nav and backup camera for $51,400. Add ML and it brings you to $53,200.

To be honest...that is a no brainer for me. Even if you went up to a loaded GS 350 AWD with Nav, ML, backup camera, xenons, AFS, wood and leather steering wheel...that is only $8,000 difference. I am not saying $8K is pocket change, but when you get up into the $45K mark, I have a feeling that most people will be willing to splurge to get the Lexus name, quality, service experience, etc.

If you live in a warmer climate and want the GS 350 RWD, there is only a $7K price difference between a loaded version and the Taurus SHO. If you forego the ML, the price difference between a GS 350 and the SHO is less than $5K.

IMO, this car is too expensive.
Old 06-25-09, 12:41 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW,

I just built a loaded SHO (nav, camera, cruise) for $45,200. I went over to Lexus and built a GS 350 AWD with Nav and backup camera for $51,400. Add ML and it brings you to $53,200.

To be honest...that is a no brainer for me. Even if you went up to a loaded GS 350 AWD with Nav, ML, backup camera, xenons, AFS, wood and leather steering wheel...that is only $8,000 difference. I am not saying $8K is pocket change, but when you get up into the $45K mark, I have a feeling that most people will be willing to splurge to get the Lexus name, quality, service experience, etc.

If you live in a warmer climate and want the GS 350 RWD, there is only a $7K price difference between a loaded version and the Taurus SHO. If you forego the ML, the price difference between a GS 350 and the SHO is less than $5K.

I agree about the price of the SHO (lesser grades of Taurus seem priced just right though). It is challenging. So one has to balance all of the above with the benefit of having a hot rod fast, truly full-sized car. The GS can't possibly be as spacious as the Taurus, and all the luxury options in the world don't make a car bigger on the inside.
Old 06-25-09, 01:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW,

Agreed and the depreciation rate on the Ford erases the price advantage in a couple of years.
Old 06-25-09, 03:08 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, so I know the point is a comparo, but why compair anything to Pontiac? It's not like you're going to be able to buy one here shortly.
Old 06-25-09, 03:23 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

sad when the Ford flagship sedan has better technology than their flagship sports car the Mustang.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: Taurus SHO vs. G8 GT