Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

seriously, what else did they expect from the car... it's been a problem since day 1...
Old 05-23-11, 08:52 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Of course, no one want taht fugly car.....I saw few in the city & I just few bad for the poor guys and that they invest $$$$ on a piece of fugly performance car.
Old 05-23-11, 08:59 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The disappointment I have is that I thought a lot of our 5-series station wagon customers would go with the GT," O'Donnell says. "In point of fact, that is not happening. We have lost those customers to the competition -- mainly to Mercedes-Benz.
O'Donnell says he doesn't want to lose wagon sales to Mercedes-Benz so BMW will keep the 3-series wagon in its lineup.
As for bringing back the 5-series wagon, O'Donnell says it may be too late for this generation.
I find it interesting that BMW is concerned about this but isn't prepared to answer. Typically they have a vehicle that fits just about any need or configuration.

With the release of the beautiful new A6 Avant to go with the E-wagon, BMW stands to lose most of their customers looking for a wagon to the competition.

Last edited by CDNROCKIES; 05-23-11 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If people can just get under the frumpy-looking skin for a moment (and, apparantly, not many are doing so), this is one superb-driving car. Of course, one has to pay for this kind of machine.....it doesn't come cheap. And the dash controls, like most higher-level BMWs, are unnecessarily complex.
Old 05-23-11, 09:32 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If people can just get under the frumpy-looking skin for a moment (and, apparantly, not many are doing so), this is one superb-driving car. Of course, one has to pay for this kind of machine.....it doesn't come cheap. And the dash controls, like most higher-level BMWs, are unnecessarily complex.
I wouldn't necessarily call the looks "frumpy" Mike, but they are definitely polarizing. The problem with that, in this class of car, is that people are not looking to stand out. They are supposed to be about understated luxury.

You are correct that it drives well. I haven't driven the GT but have taken the other F10 5's out. The other problem that the GT faces is, what does it do differently or better than a regular 5? There didn't seem to be anything truly differentiating about it other than the bigger trunk. For $90K (up here) it just doesn't seem worth it, imo.

P.S. I've seen only 2 of them on the road up here, and like the article pointed out, both were being driven by middle aged women.
Old 05-23-11, 09:35 AM
LexFather

Mike, I didn't think it drove superb at all. It drove like the tall wagon it is, more SUV than sport wagon. Its priced way to high as well. Pluses are the fantastic interior and tons of interior room.

The looks seal its death.

Old 05-23-11, 10:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The facts show the sales failure that many here predicted, and published road tests show no edge over far more attractive premium cars in this price range.
Old 05-23-11, 10:57 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

If we can learn anything from the 5GT and the R class, is that people are not willing to spend 60K on this type of minivan alternative. They would much rather go the full SUV route
Old 05-23-11, 10:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

LMAO. DUH BMW
Old 05-23-11, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The facts show the sales failure that many here predicted, and published road tests show no edge over far more attractive premium cars in this price range.
I knew when I first saw it and reviewed it that its rear-end-styling would probably keep it from selling much (same with the similiarly-shaped Honda Crosstour). But I was impressed with the interior, driving dynamics, and the fact that it seemed to be assembled at the factory more like the quality of a Honda/Acura than with the niggling QC problems one sometimes sees on new BMWs, even right out of the factory.

Slightly off-topic, but one of my neighbors (who is one of our condo-board members) just bought a new black Crosstour with black-alloy wheels....he just loves it. Sold his old FWD Accord to another board member.
Old 05-23-11, 01:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Slightly off-topic, but one of my neighbors (who is one of our condo-board members) just bought a new black Crosstour with black-alloy wheels....he just loves it. Sold his old FWD Accord to another board member.
Yes, the Crossturd is selling below forecast (nearly 50% of Venza sales), but still at a clip that far exceeds 550GT. A more similar example of an ugly sales disaster is the ZitDX.

Black certainly seems like the best color for these less than attractive vehicles, and the custom black wheels will draw the eyes away from the unshapely body.
Old 05-23-11, 01:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

knee jerk response- "no duh"

sometimes i wonder if the execs have wonk eye.

almost everyone in the world said it was ugly. The remaining 1% just needed a visit to the optometrist.
Old 05-23-11, 04:52 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks can be deceiving. Yes- it is quite ugly on the outside. The interior, to me, isn't anything spectacular. But it drives quite well. It's that in-betweener that RXSF mentioned, that "minivan alternative." I found it to have adequate room for practically everything you want to throw in it. The power is there, and driving feel is there, but I knew from the get go that this thing wouldn't be a hit. I've even heard some BMW owners bashing this product.
Old 05-24-11, 09:48 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know who thought this design was a good idea. Vehicles with this similar design concept (550GT, Crosstour, ZDX) are not meeting sales expectations, falling far short actually. They may be good vehicles, and bargains for what they offer, but we all know that buying a car has some emotional involvement. I know it does for me, especially if I'm going to spend more money. Crosstour = cheaper so even if design is "polarizing" (aka fugly) it will sell. Everytime we see one on the road, my gf and I point and always comment how ugly it is. Yes, I find it that bad.
Old 05-25-11, 12:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It's the same end result for the last 30 years. Americans do not like cars inbetween a sedan and SUV. They either like a sedan or they like an SUV. Most hatches have failed here and more will continue to.

Quick Reply: U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW