Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 02:01 PM
LexFather

Post U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW

It appears that BMW may have overestimated the U.S. market appeal for high-end versions of the 550i Gran Turismo, and executives now acknowledge that the six-cylinder 535i probably should have been available at launch. It's not unusual for an automaker to launch an all-new model by shipping mostly loaded, top-level versions in order to absorb the maximum number of dollars from early adopters, but sometimes that approach backfires if the market isn't ready for the new vehicle.

Case in point is the 5GT, of which BMW has apparently sold fewer than 1,200 units in the U.S. since the launch of the polarizing people mover late last year. Interestingly, BMW has found that more women than expected have bought the model, while its less-than-stellar fuel consumption has hurt sales in a still-weak U.S. economy. Gran Turismo sales are apparently ahead of projections elsewhere, but those other markets launched with both gasoline and diesel inline-six engine choices.

Given that the 5GT is best suited as a road trip machine, it might make sense for BMW to install the 3.0-liter diesel from the X5 and 335d as an alternative to the twin-turbo V8. So far BMW has not indicated any plans to offer a diesel GT in America, but the less costly 535i GT is still slated to arrive in the Fall.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/24/r...uldve-launche/

Old 05-24-10, 02:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't seen the 5GT on the road yet. I see the new 7 at least 3-4 times a day.

I doubt if a smaller engine will do this car any good. This is a car intended for wealthy GILFs whom aren't looking to penny pinch
Old 05-24-10, 02:45 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The article author is really blaming fuel economy for slow sales? I don't really think "market appeal for high-end versions" is the problem...............
Old 05-24-10, 02:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
I haven't seen the 5GT on the road yet. I see the new 7 at least 3-4 times a day.

I doubt if a smaller engine will do this car any good. This is a car intended for wealthy GILFs whom aren't looking to penny pinch
Same observations here in Silicon Valley. BMW is starting the excuses... (But I did see one ZDX on the road yesterday)
Old 05-24-10, 03:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I have seen maybe 3 in SF. I dont think a V6 options would make a huge difference but the V8 does have a scary price tag
Old 05-24-10, 03:22 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I saw 2 like 3 weeks ago and from the front, I said to myself, that 7 somehow looks huge!!!

When I got to see the side and rear, that's when I realize it was the 5GT (both driven by middle-age females btw)

yeah the excuse the 6 cylinder is just for the lower price
Old 05-24-10, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It appears that BMW may have overestimated the U.S. market appeal for high-end versions of the 550i Gran Turismo, and executives now acknowledge that the six-cylinder 535i probably should have been available at launch.
Perhaps. But, I personally think that a wiser move than a different powerplant would have been to design the body with a more conventional, more squared-off rear end. I wouldn't necessarily call the existing 550GT butt-ugly like some people do, but it (and the similiarly-shaped Honda Crosstour) does get some rather deserved criticism of its rather awkward-shaped cargo area. The droop of the rear roofline also impedes on some cargo space.

As far as the engine goes, yes, a case can be made that the V8 version is overkill, and draws an unnecessarily high price, but, given the fact that the 550GT was designed on the 7-series platform (BMW makes no secret about that), and that it carries a 7-series price tag despite its 550 label, BMW marketers may have figured that it deserved at least a 7-series engine. And, (trust me)...........that turbocharged V8 is an ENGINE. I drove a 550GT for the Holiday Review back in December, for those of you who remember it, and the torque (450 ft-lbs, even at low RPM's) made this grossly heavy car take off like a slingshot. I've driven some BMW M-products that didn't accelerate like that.

The 550GT's high price also goes beyond its 7-series origin and strong drivetrain. Sit inside this car and you will immediately notice that the appointments, fit-and-finish, and general interior quality (especially the seat leather) are noticeably better than almost any other BMW as well....including several 7-series models.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-25-10 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 08:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Also needs an awd option.
Old 05-24-10, 09:39 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

This car is giving the Honda Crosstour a run for its money. They both give new definitions for "butt ugly".

I finally saw one driving on the 5 freeway yesterday and it is awful. Can't imagine someone looking at that car and saying it even good looking. Sorry BMW, only a complete redesign can save this car.
Old 05-25-10, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The 6 cylinder engine won't fix the too ugly, too overweight, too overpriced, non-AWD only aspects unfortunately. No surprise as to the sales results (or lack of).
Old 05-25-10, 08:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^ took the words out of my mouth. The 5GT isn't selling just because of the V8 or lofty price tag, but because of a variety of reasons that make it completely and utterly senseless and ridiculous.
Old 05-25-10, 09:55 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not the engine its da MSRP :P
Old 05-25-10, 02:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Even with a V6 six BMW will still need to contend with the horrible design and insane price tag. The issue with this vehicle and sales goes well beyond optional motors imho
Old 05-25-10, 04:46 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The 6 cylinder engine won't fix the too ugly, too overweight, too overpriced, non-AWD only aspects unfortunately. No surprise as to the sales results (or lack of).
Funny A bit late on the info or lack there of..

BMW xDrive on All Engine Variants of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo and the BMW 740d

BMW, the world’s leading manufacturer of premium cars, is consistently enlarging its wide range of all-wheel-drive models. Starting in June and, respectively, September 2010, all engine variants of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo will also be available with intelligent BMW xDrive all-wheel-drive technology. And also starting in September, the BMW 740d xDrive will become the top diesel in the luxury sedan class to feature this innovative drive system.

The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines elegance, spaciousness, comfort and variability in a truly unique car concept – and now this combination offering supreme motoring comfort is becoming even more thrilling and overwhelming. First, starting in June 2010, customers will have the choice of two versions of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo featuring BMW xDrive all-wheel-drive technology. In both the BMW 530d xDrive Gran Turismo and the BMW 550i xDrive Gran Turismo, permanent, electronically masterminded all-wheel drive ensures the appropriate distribution of drive power front-to-rear in every situation. Then, following in September 2010, the BMW 535d xDrive Gran Turismo and the BMW 535i xDrive Gran Turismo will round off the engine range, helping to give the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo even greater and more versatile character within the premium segment through BMW xDrive technology.

Making its debut in April at Auto China Beijing 2010, the BMW 550i xDrive Gran Turismo is powered by a supreme V8 boasting BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology and High Precision Injection. Displacing 4.4 litres, this outstanding eight-cylinder delivers maximum output of 300 kW/407 hp all the way from 5,500 – 6,400 rpm as well as peak torque of 600 Newton-metres/442 lb-ft maintained consistently between 1,750 and 4,500 rpm.

This superior torque coming in at an early point and maintained throughout a broad speed range is now converted into supreme driving dynamics even more precisely and in even more superior style through BMW xDrive technology, accelerating the car to 100 km/h in 5.4 seconds. Top speed is cut off by the engine’s electronic control unit at 250 km/h or 155 mph. Average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle, finally, is 11.8 litres/100 km, equal to 23.9 mpg imp, with CO2 emissions amounting to 275 grams per kilometre.

The BMW 550i xDrive Gran Turismo is the first model to combine such intelligent all-wheel drive with the supreme driving dynamics, motoring comfort and efficiency of an eight-speed automatic transmission.

The straight-six diesel engine in the BMW 530d xDrive Gran Turismo likewise represents the latest state-of-the-art in BMW engine development. Displacing 3.0 litres, the engine comes with an all-aluminium crankcase, its turbocharger system featuring variable intake geometry ensuring a superior surge of power and performance tailored harmoniously to all kinds of driving conditions.

Fuel is delivered by the latest generation of piezo-injectors operating at a maximum pressure of 1,800 bar. This gives the engine maximum peak output of 180 kW/245 hp at 4,000 rpm, with torque reaching its peak of 540 Newton-metres/398 lb-ft at just 1,750 rpm.

Benefiting from this kind of power, the BMW 530d xDrive Gran Turismo accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in 6.9 seconds and reaches a top speed of 235 km/h or 146 mph.

At the same time the car combines this sporting performance with average fuel consumption of 6.9 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 40.9 mpg imp, in the EU test cycle. The CO2 rating, finally, is 183 grams per kilometre.

The BMW 535d xDrive Gran Turismo features a second even more powerful representative of the new generation of straight-six BMW diesels. Boasting BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology and common rail direct fuel injection, the all-aluminium power unit in this equally outstanding model develops maximum output of 220 kW/300 hp at 4,400 rpm as well as peak torque of 600 Newton-metres/442 lb-ft maintained consistently between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm.

The straight-six gasoline power unit in the BMW 535i xDrive Gran Turismo combines turbocharging, High Precision Injection and variable VALVETRONIC valve management with one another. This unique combination gives the BMW TwinPower Turbo an extremely spontaneous and direct response to the gas pedal. This outstanding response is then further optimised by VALVETRONIC valve management as well as the turbocharger system applying the twin-scroll principle both in the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger to separate the ducts and flow channels of three cylinders at a time.

With its high-tech injection nozzles, High Precision Injection doses fuel with maximum precision, delivering the fuel required into the combustion chambers at a pressure of up to 200 bar.

Displacing 3.0 litres, this outstanding six-cylinder delivers maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp at 5,800 rpm. Peak torque of 400 Newton metres/295 lb-ft, in turn, comes between 1,200 and 5,000 rpm.

With the top-of-the-range BMW 750i xDrive and BMW 750Li xDrive already introducing BMW’s intelligent all-wheel-drive system in the 2010 model year in the 7 Series, the BMW 740d xDrive is making its appearance in September.

With its all-aluminium power unit, the BMW 740d xDrive boasts BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology as well as common-rail direct fuel injection with its piezo-injectors operating at a pressure of up to 2,000 bar. Maximum output, as a result, is 225 kW/306 hp, with peak torque of 600 Newton-metres/442 lb-ft maintained consistently between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm.

Permanent, electronically controlled all-wheel drive ensures exactly the right distribution of engine power under all driving conditions. Precise and quick drive power control, finally, gives this supreme luxury sedan absolutely safe and incomparable driving behaviour at all times.

Originally BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel-drive technology was conceived for the BMW X models, then being introduced step-by-step in the BMW 5 Series, the BMW 3 Series, and the BMW 7 Series. The big forte of this superior technology is its uniquely precise control and engine management helping to optimise traction on rough surfaces and at the same time deliver supreme driving dynamics to the road.

The system stands out as a particularly intelligent all-wheel-drive technology by distributing drive power through a power divider with an electronically controlled multiple-plate clutch in exactly the right way and properly dosed to the correct axle and wheels with optimum road contact at any given point in time.

Featuring this superior system, BMW xDrive enhances driving stability also in dynamic bends by recognising even the slightest tendency to over- and understeer at an early point and taking appropriate counter-action right away.

The GT is not my cup of tea & would never be on my radar..

Last edited by LexFather; 05-23-11 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 04:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Funny A bit late on the info or lack there of..
Yes, late and based on the sales-to-date nobody seems to care.

Certainly AWD should be expected in this type of big wagon-thing.

Quick Reply: U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW