Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Arroyo Seco Parkway / Pasadena Freeway / 110 Freeway: Preservation or Modernization?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Traffic isn't the only issue. It keeps you on your toes because it's very narrow and curvy with no shoulder. You can't drive in the slow lane because the on-ramps are so short, people are merging onto the freeway at 20 mph, sometimes around blind curves. I keep both hands locked on the steering wheel when I drive it. It's not for the faint of heart.
yup, completely agree. i have driven in that stretch a few times, it's no easy driving. all the blind curves with on ramps, narrow lanes, that's one "exciting" route
Old 05-21-10, 08:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, completely agree. i have driven in that stretch a few times, it's no easy driving. all the blind curves with on ramps, narrow lanes, that's one "exciting" route
Try it on a motorcycle...
Old 05-21-10, 11:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They need to destroy and rebuild all of the freeways in LA, not just the 110. They all suck and are as smooth as a teenagers pimple covered face. I lived in LA most of my life and do not miss the galloping sound you get from the huge cracks in the road that have been poorly repaired. Oh yeah there is also the insane traffic .

The freeway issue in LA could fill a 100 page book. It goes so much further than the 110 freeway

I have two words for CalTrans.............RUBBERIZED ASPHALT !!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-10, 11:55 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

One wish for these freeways, is exit and entry ramps for the car pool lane side. Not for every street but spaced appropriately for the major ones. Orange County has them around Disney and one on Main street by the mall.

LA-OC traffic bites. I don't think even a big freeway build would eliminate the congestion. Now if they had good public transport like the trains in other countries, this might relieve a good deal of the commute traffic. With the population density, those along the rail line will not be happy though. Bottom line, the infrastructure was not proposed with what has come to be in this area and likely so for many other big cities across America.
Old 05-22-10, 12:20 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely loved driving on that stretch of 110 North of the stadium. It was truly beautiful to me. Wasn't much traffic there that I could remember (but I never drove it during rush hour), and the scenery was interesting.
Old 05-22-10, 06:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have two words for CalTrans.............RUBBERIZED ASPHALT !!!!!!!!!!
Caltrans just did that "as an experiment" on stretches of the 710.

I love it. Very smooth, lots of grip, and drains water very well. Tested both the car and motorcycle on it with pleasant surprise...
Old 05-22-10, 05:29 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

During off peak hours, I purposely take the 110 between downtown and Pasadena. There are few places to drive in Los Angeles with an extended stretch of high speed curves. It would be a travesty to neuter this stretch of road.

And in regards to Los Angeles traffic, did you know that there used to be a subway system in Los Angeles? After the freeways were invented, Angelenos stopped using it and instead started using the much quicker freeway system. Guess who bought the subway and permanently shut it down? An oil company...
Old 05-22-10, 07:31 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty dangerous freeway, especially the freeway on-ramps. But in my younger (more stupid) years, boy was it a fun freeway.
Old 05-22-10, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They need to destroy and rebuild all of the freeways in LA, not just the 110. They all suck and are as smooth as a teenagers pimple covered face.
Wait till you drive in a major Northeastern city or in the Great Lakes Snow Belt, with all that freezing/thawing on the pavement. Michigan roads, in particular, have been compared to the surface of the moon.

I lived in LA most of my life and do not miss the galloping sound you get from the huge cracks in the road that have been poorly repaired. Oh yeah there is also the insane traffic .

The freeway issue in LA could fill a 100 page book. It goes so much further than the 110 freeway
One thing that causes pavement cracks in the L.A. region, most of Coastal California, and makes it difficult to keep them repaired, is the unstable ground under the roads. There are numerous geologic fault lines in the area, and while major earthquakes strike occasionally, minor trembles and smaller quakes are much more frequent, often strong enough to leave significant cracks. Wildfires and mudslides in the region sometimes cause additional road damage.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 12:38 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Just drove this stretch of road again last night. When the road is clear, it's just great driving. The last turn before entering Pasadena is an easy, 3 digit speed turn. Heaven.
Old 05-24-10, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Just drove this stretch of road again last night. When the road is clear, it's just great driving. The last turn before entering Pasadena is an easy, 3 digit speed turn. Heaven.
yup, when there is no traffic that stretch of freeway is really really fun to drive