Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Arroyo Seco Parkway / Pasadena Freeway / 110 Freeway: Preservation or Modernization?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Post Arroyo Seco Parkway / Pasadena Freeway / 110 Freeway: Preservation or Modernization?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_578954.html

LOS ANGELES — You don't typically hear Southern Californians rhapsodize about a freeway.

But the 8.2-mile route between downtown Los Angeles and suburban Pasadena isn't typical.

Opened in 1940, the oldest freeway in the West follows the meanders of the Arroyo Seco wash past parks and lush embankments, and under bridges and through tunnels built with the elegance of a bygone era.

Known variously as the Arroyo Seco Parkway, the Pasadena Freeway or simply "the 110," it also carries motorists past some of the city's oldest – and toughest – neighborhoods as its tight curves open and close views of mountain peaks and downtown skyscrapers.

Squinting to shut out thoroughly modern gang graffiti and the mangled plastic debris of 21st century auto mashups, it's still possible to envision a Ford Model A wending its way to Los Angeles or a stately General Motors LaSalle carrying an oil baron home to one of the old school mansions of Pasadena.

That's why preservationists are crying foul over the freeway's first major improvement project in 70 years, a $17 million effort to line the original six miles of the route with new concrete barriers and lighting.

They complain that the work will remove historic features that define its character and that the additions don't have a sufficiently authentic appearance.

"The Arroyo Seco Parkway is a real gem. I don't think people fully appreciate that yet and I think they'll regret the damage that's being caused," said Paul Daniel Marriott, author of "Saving Historic Roads."

The route represents a transitional period in American highway construction when planners were moving away from the parkways popularized on the East Coast for leisure driving to building roads for high-speed, efficient travel, Marriott said.

Its design melded lush landscaping with six lanes allowing commuters to reach speeds of 45 mph.

Many of its elements became prototypes for the modern freeway, so much so that by the 1950s, when Los Angeles was emerging as a car capital, the parkway's name evolved to the Pasadena Freeway.

"This is where we come from, this is where our freeways evolved from," said Nicole Possert, a community activist leading the preservation effort. "This was a testing ground for what was to become the California freeway system."

The California Department of Transportation began late last year to replace metal beam guardrails on wooden posts with concrete barriers for safety and to reduce maintenance costs.

Caltrans said the upgrades were crucial to prevent out-of-control vehicles from plunging into the Arroyo Seco, a watercourse that carries storm runoff from the San Gabriel Mountains to the Los Angeles River.

Balancing the need to retain the freeway's historic features while trying to bring it up to modern highway standards has been one of the department's biggest challenges.

A drive on the freeway can be frightening or suggest Grand Prix racing. Lanes are narrow, there are no shoulders, and many entrances and exits are sharp right turns with little time for merging or braking. There are only occasional short turnouts for changing a tire or waiting for a tow.

The parkway was originally built to carry 27,000 vehicles a day. By 2008, it carried an average daily traffic load of 125,000 cars. Trucks are banned.

A 2005 study found it had the highest accident rate compared to eight other freeways in the metropolitan area, most of them caused by speeding drivers.

"On this route there's little patrolling by the police because of the lack of shoulder space, all that means is more speeding and more accidents," said Anastasia Loukaitou-Sideris, a professor of urban planning at the University of California, Los Angeles who co-authored the study.

Fixing a guardrail after a crash requires closing a lane, causing traffic to back up for miles.

Caltrans said replacing guardrails with concrete barriers will lower maintenance costs from $800 to $80 per kilometer (.62 mile) of barrier, will take less time to repair and therefore won't impede traffic.

The changes are welcomed by Radolfo Torres, who has lived next to the southbound lanes for 30 years and has jumped over the chain link fence numerous times to rescue people involved in accidents.

"There's no room to widen the road, and you can't straighten it either. This is better than doing nothing," Torres said.

But preservationists say the side barriers, which feature patterns simulating the stonework architecture in historic communities along the route, don't look like the real deal and will serve as canvasses for taggers.

New lampposts, designed to look old while offering improved road lighting, aren't replicas of the kinds that used to line the parkway 70 years ago, they said.

"Why was the style of the original lamps not respected or preserved? Why does it have to be some phony thing?" said Martha Benedict, a community activist.

Opponents also decry the removal of a center median curb that is an original feature. The curb, which in some places has indentations pointing in the correct direction of travel, was considered one of the parkway's many novel design features when it was named a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1999.

Preservationists say the curb, while little noticed by speeding commuters, is as much a character-defining feature of the old parkway as the many sycamore trees, Art Deco tunnels, and old-fashioned bridges and train trestles.

Caltrans contends the curb must be removed to comply with current construction standards.

Old 05-18-10, 08:21 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the article says, the curb is not noticed by commuters. I surely have never noticed it in the many times I have used the 110. Just get on with fixing it so we can all continue driving.
Old 05-18-10, 08:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Always liked the design of this part of the 110, but it's always ALWAYS congested with traffic. And with the ramps to the 5 Freeway, there is lots of cars weaving into the exits as late as possible.

It's nice, but it needs better traffic flow management.

Old 05-18-10, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to me that's one pretty dangerous stretch of freeway. you have to be very alert. lanes are pretty narrow, a lot of turns, and the ramps are as short as they can get. and yes, the curbs are painful
Old 05-18-10, 09:16 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I use 110 fwy alot since dad still lives in solano canyon. It's the worst fwy in terms of traffic. Most times it's jammed but I do enjoy driving through it when traffic is light. It'll be nice if they widen it a bit.
Old 05-18-10, 09:19 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Always liked the design of this part of the 110, but it's always ALWAYS congested with traffic. And with the ramps to the 5 Freeway, there is lots of cars weaving into the exits as late as possible.

It's nice, but it needs better traffic flow management.

They did add extra merging lane onto the 5. During rush hour led lights will be on to open up the lane. Definitely helped a bit but still not enough.
Old 05-18-10, 10:32 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the post 5 merge > downtown Pasadena strip of the 110.

but only late at night when it's empty--otherwise, like rominl said. It's not all that pleasant to drive on.
Old 05-18-10, 04:25 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Ok seriously though driving on the 110 always makes my heart rate go up
Old 05-18-10, 10:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I am not a Californian, and (maybe) should not comment on a far-away traffic problem, but as a decades-long veteran of D.C. area traffic, considered the second-worst in the country behind CA, I know what gridlock can be. So, in general, given the question of preservation or modernization, my answer is that we can't wish the cars away...the traffic is here, and we simply have to deal with it. So I say spend the money, modernize the road as much as possible under the conditions, and let it give the awful, traffic-choked L.A. region at least some, if not major, relief.

D.C., of course, is not CA, but one reason WHY traffic is so bad here, and trails only CA, is that too many people and neighborhood groups, for too many years, have held up desperately-needed roads (and road widenings) in this region in an effort to try and "preserve" their towns and to play ostrich and pretend the traffic doesn't exist.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-10 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 11:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I am all for it. Anything to make my commute safer is good in my book.
Old 05-20-10, 05:59 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
i love the post 5 merge > downtown Pasadena strip of the 110.

but only late at night when it's empty--otherwise, like rominl said. It's not all that pleasant to drive on.
+1 on the part just south of Pasadena with parks on both sides drove up at 6am one Saturday in a new 911, great road but very narrow lanes & some of the on/off exits look like driveways.
Old 05-20-10, 08:10 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Meh... the 110 is the freeway I try to avoid the most, very dangerous and congested, it can be fun to drive on in the middle of the night, but definitely... not safe. Modernize it!!!
Old 05-20-10, 09:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I go through there now then...it does bring the blood pressure up. Invariably some I-dot will cross over the line because the lanes are narrow. Then there is the 5-S section that merges traffic further south and the China Town dump off. Brrrrrr and to get across... more brrrr. Back to 110, I like the look but as far as modern safety, what is more important. Safe passage for modern traffic conditions or keeping it pretty for a past era of driving. Make it wide and well illuminated. It is a fun road when there is little to no traffic and that isn't often in LA.

Reminds me a bit of HWY 163 in San Diego.
Old 05-21-10, 02:03 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I can't speak for other cities in America but LA public works civil engineers are failures. They can't make roads/freeways more efficient to save their lives. Every project is just them spending money and not really getting much done. If anybody travels the 60 freeway here in SoCal, you'll see that they're adding carpool lanes to each side between Pico Rivera and all the way to Diamond Bar. This will do nothing to help with traffic, if they were smart, they'd remove the center divider and turn it into a 3 lane carpool one way when traffic is heavy in the morning and the other way in the afternoon. This method is used in many foreign major metropolitan cities. More money is being spent to improve roads here that don't need improving. Waste of money, they might as well NOT do it and invest it to stimulate the economy.
Old 05-21-10, 04:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I am not a Californian, and (maybe) should not comment on a far-away traffic problem, but as a decades-long veteran of D.C. area traffic, considered the second-worst in the country behind CA, I know what gridlock can be. So, in general, given the question of preservation or modernization, my answer is that we can't wish the cars away...the traffic is here, and we simply have to deal with it. So I say spend the money, modernize the road as much as possible under the conditions, and let it give the awful, traffic-choked L.A. region at least some, if not major, relief.

D.C., of course, is not CA, but one reason WHY traffic is so bad here, and trails only CA, is that too many people and neighborhood groups, for too many years, have held up desperately-needed roads (and road widenings) in this region in an effort to try and "preserve" their towns and to play ostrich and pretend the traffic doesn't exist.
Traffic isn't the only issue. It keeps you on your toes because it's very narrow and curvy with no shoulder. You can't drive in the slow lane because the on-ramps are so short, people are merging onto the freeway at 20 mph, sometimes around blind curves. I keep both hands locked on the steering wheel when I drive it. It's not for the faint of heart.

Quick Reply: Arroyo Seco Parkway / Pasadena Freeway / 110 Freeway: Preservation or Modernization?