Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

April 2010 Monthly Auto Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 08:54 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
No, but I can post the mid-sized family sedan/coupe/hatchback numbers.

Accord - 31,766 (includes 2,455 Crosstours)
Camry - 27,914
Fusion - 18,971
Sonata - 18,536
Malibu - 16,536
Altima - 14,762
Avenger - 6,000
Sebring - 4,053
Legacy - 3,851
Milan - 3,101
Optima - 2,912
Mazda6 - 2,536
Galant - ?
Wow, Mazda 6 sales are in the toilet.

Seems like people aren't accepting Mazda's latest styling. The last Gen 3 & 6 were beautiful, now they're just odd looking. It's not good when you get outsold easily by the Avenger & Sebring disasters.

1/11th of Camry sales. Ouch.
Old 05-05-10, 10:03 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the Mazda design team is probably having lunch with the Acura design team. I think they are regulars at the Denial Cafe.
Old 05-05-10, 10:58 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

And on a side note, the "failure" Acura TL is even beating the mainstream family sedan Mazda 6 (2,842 to 2,536) and the TL can be twice the price.
Old 05-05-10, 11:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually love the design of the current Mazda 6.
Old 05-05-10, 11:19 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I actually love the design of the current Mazda 6.
It looks decent in top trim, but have you seen all the base models driving around? They look awful with the small hub capped steelies inside of the big fendered wheel wells. Plus the whole front fender - hood - headlight design is just awkward.
Old 05-05-10, 02:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ stick to the photoshop forum. Your continous complaints about Lexus in multiple forums is well noted.
I find it funny that you point me out, because I have far fewer complaints than a lot of other people here.

have you counted how many people here dislike the HS design?
there are a lot of "complainers" here. You act like I'm the only one.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You are asking why would one buy an expensive car? Are you serious? Gas prices rise and suddenly people stop buying luxury cars? Your logic is flawed on this one.
maybe I didn't explain myself well. let me rephrase.

If someone was truly pinched for money that they couldn't afford gas, they would buy a cheap car.

for all others who have the money, they don't care if gas prices increase. They will continue buying the IS ES GS LS RX GX.
Luxury is excess. Those who can afford it will not downgrade their luxury.

Gas price doesn't guarantee that people will start considering an HS over an IS or ES.

Last edited by dunnojack; 05-05-10 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-05-10, 03:52 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Mazda6

Has the Mazda6 not always been a poor seller in the segment? I believe that has usually been below 5,000 units/month. This always surprised me bc I thought that the Mazda, as a whole, had the best design language of the mass market brands. I knew it would never top the Accord or Camry but I thought that it could @ least be competitive w/ the Altima.

Poor Suzuki, only 406 Kizashis sold ... I was hoping that it would be a hit for them.
Old 05-05-10, 03:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by dunnojack
have you counted how many people here dislike the HS design?
there are a lot of "complainers" here. You act like I'm the only one.
But you're the only one that repeats it over and over and over again.

You are a broken record full of angst and bias.

That's the truth.

So, get off your soapbox, take it to a Hyundai forum, and praise it to the converted.
Old 05-05-10, 04:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I don't know how you figure that.

FWIW the first place I saw the new Sonata was at a rental car facility. The Fusion outsold the Sonata for the month and until I see any other data to prove otherwise, that's just the way it is.
Well this is if you believe Hyundai's sales report. They state in their sales report Sonata was 3rd in the segment for retail sales.

Naturally then, the top 2 cars in the segment for retail sales are the Camry and Accord.

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Wow, Mazda 6 sales are in the toilet.

Seems like people aren't accepting Mazda's latest styling. The last Gen 3 & 6 were beautiful, now they're just odd looking. It's not good when you get outsold easily by the Avenger & Sebring disasters.

1/11th of Camry sales. Ouch.
I am glad Mazda is struggling. The current Mazda 6 has goofy styling, and not only that, but North America got an even frumpier-looking 6 than Europe did. As the ultimate pie in the face, Mazda did not release the somewhat better-looking Euro 6 here.

IMHO Mazda's latest styling is goofy at best, and hideous at worst. Too bad Canadian buyers don't feel the same way as US buyers. The Mazda 3 in Canada continues to be one of the biggest sellers in the compact segment .
Old 05-05-10, 05:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
If someone was truly pinched for money that they couldn't afford gas, they would buy a cheap car.
I don't agree. Just because someone is concerned about the price of gas does not mean that they should have to resort a Corolla. I think that there are lot of buyers out there who want luxury, but are leary of gas prices.

So you can afford a $35k car and want luxury:

$4.00 a gal., driving 15,000 miles a year.

ES 350: Avg. 23 MPG = $2608 per year on gas.

HS250h: Average 34 MPG = $1764 per year on gas.

A difference of $844 per year or $4223 over the course of 5 years. With many Americans budgeting these days the price of gas is a real concern as if fuel economy, even if you are buying a luxury vehicle.
Old 05-05-10, 05:53 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I don't agree. Just because someone is concerned about the price of gas does not mean that they should have to resort a Corolla. I think that there are lot of buyers out there who want luxury, but are leary of gas prices.

So you can afford a $35k car and want luxury:

$4.00 a gal., driving 15,000 miles a year.

ES 350: Avg. 23 MPG = $2608 per year on gas.

HS250h: Average 34 MPG = $1764 per year on gas.

A difference of $844 per year or $4223 over the course of 5 years. With many Americans budgeting these days the price of gas is a real concern as if fuel economy, even if you are buying a luxury vehicle.
What's really killing the HS isn't the ES, it's better less compromising alternatives out there like the Acura TSX and the Audi A4.

TSX: Avg. 25 MPG = $1878 per year on gas

A4: Avg. 26 MPG = $1808 per year on gas

And this is subjective but the alternatives look pretty good:

Oh and the TSX and A4 are THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper!
Old 05-05-10, 06:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
But you're the only one that repeats it over and over and over again.

You are a broken record full of angst and bias.

That's the truth.

So, get off your soapbox, take it to a Hyundai forum, and praise it to the converted.
over and over and over...... quite an exaggeration.

I implore you to find the last time i even talked about the HS.
I think you're getting me confused with others.

oh what the hell... I don't mind being the posterboy for lexus haters, if you want to label me as such.

I own 2 lexus. I do not have to like my car or the brand 100%.
bias goes both ways.

I don't think luxury car buyers are that frugal. Assuming the typical buyer earns $80000 per year, that's only 1% of income.....
not enough to justify the trade offs (less room, less power) for greater gas mileage.

premium gas prices are already $3.30 in my area.

3.3/4 = 82% there already.
.82 x 844 = ~$700

why not save $700 per year right now and get an HS?
Is that not enough incentive?

whatever the reason, the HS is not selling with the americans.
Old 05-05-10, 08:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
What's really killing the HS isn't the ES, it's better less compromising alternatives out there like the Acura TSX and the Audi A4.

TSX: Avg. 25 MPG = $1878 per year on gas

A4: Avg. 26 MPG = $1808 per year on gas
This is not consistent with my numbers and is misleading in comparison. I calculated at $4 a gallon because that is where I believe the future of gasoline prices will hold steady.

So according to my methods a TSX would cost you $2400 a year and an A4 would cost you $2307 in comparison to the HS's $1764. Given the choice, I would be in an AWD A4 with a 6MT. However, this is not your average Lexus buyer and what I believe it comes down to is high gas prices, the salesman suggesting the HS as alternatives to the ES and IS and the consumer ultimately being enticed by a 35 MPG rating. Think about it. Gas is expensive and the salesman says with this car you can go from the IS's 25 MPG to 35 MPG. And you can get a tax rebate too (depending on the state). It's a feeling of security in the unpredictable scope of gas prices.
Old 05-05-10, 08:56 PM
LexFather

And for the trillionth time there is more to a hybrid than just the MPG advantage......smh......

Old 05-05-10, 10:40 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And for the trillionth time there is more to a hybrid than just the MPG advantage......smh......
the issue here:

LSh - exclusivity, 438 horsepower, all that luxury goodness
GSh - power! probably the least offensive hybrid grill, "sporty" powertrain and ride
RXh - 295 horsepower, cool LED headlamps, chrome ringed fog lights, TPM readouts (reminder: 30 mpg combined, only 5 less than the HS)
HSh - uhhh

Quick Reply: April 2010 Monthly Auto Sales Thread