Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

April 2010 Monthly Auto Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol!! Point made!

CJ as for the CT when does it debut again this fall? It better be priced significantly lower than the HS and get at LEAST 40-42 MPG. I can't wait to drive it.
as much as i don't care about the ct, i do hope / think it will work out better than the hs
Old 05-04-10, 06:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jruhi4
This article from WardsAuto.com elaborates on this subject, plus other Toyota and Lexus April sales:

Lexus HS Underperforming Sales Target; Toyota Sees 24.4% Uptick in April
By Christie Schweinsberg

Lexus’ worst performer last month was the aging GS, down 86.5% and selling just five units, 20 fewer than the GS 450h.

what? the GS only sold 5 cars last month?
Old 05-04-10, 06:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
what? the GS only sold 5 cars last month?
Typo...I am assuming they meant GS 460 which is special order only as is the 450h. Considering the GS is at the end of its cycle its doing fine with the 350 carrying sales like all V-6 models do over their V-8 brothers.

Old 05-04-10, 06:45 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Typo...I am assuming they meant GS 460 which is special order only as is the 450h. Considering the GS is at the end of its cycle its doing fine with the 350 carrying sales like all V-6 models do over their V-8 brothers.
That'd be great if the 450h was really outselling the 460 by that much! Only thing I don't like about that is that the rumors of the V8 model being deleted with the next gen have more traction
Old 05-04-10, 07:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
That'd be great if the 450h was really outselling the 460 by that much! Only thing I don't like about that is that the rumors of the V8 model being deleted with the next gen have more traction
Considering economies of scale I would think they would actually NEED a V-8 GS to continue as they will have a V-8 LS, SC etc. Helps spread the cost.

Old 05-04-10, 07:05 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

As far as the HS goes, if I could afford it, I'd still buy a Prius. A $30K Prius V of course.

From a luxury standpoint, the top line Prius isn't far off from the HS.

And of course there's the 50 mpg thing.
Old 05-04-10, 07:40 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the issue with the V5 is that you cant get the solar panel ventilation that is available in V4. I dont understand why they cant make a V6 with everything!
Old 05-04-10, 08:06 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The HS, we discuss the same thing every month. The design doesn't appeal, its small, the mileage is weak. blah blah blah Toyota shoulda put a better engine in it and better mileage, etc. etc.

But gas prices are on the rise!!!!!!!!! Guarenteed goodness for the HS250h. Nevertheless, the HS is much like the cancelled Accord and Malibu hybrids or even the Insight in that just because you call it a hybrid doesnt mean that consumers are going to automatically gravitate toward it.
Old 05-04-10, 09:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99

But gas prices are on the rise!!!!!!!!! Guarenteed goodness for the HS250h.

i wouldn't be caught dead in the HS. that thing just looks butt ugly from every angle. massive facepalm.

if gas prices rise out of control, why would you even buy an expensive lexus in the first place? it doesn't guarantee anything.

the whole scenario just doesn't make sense.
Old 05-04-10, 09:27 PM
LexFather

^^^ stick to the photoshop forum. Your continous complaints about Lexus in multiple forums is well noted.

Old 05-04-10, 11:59 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joe80
can anybody post the top midsize sedan numbers in order?
No, but I can post the mid-sized family sedan/coupe/hatchback numbers.

Accord - 31,766 (includes 2,455 Crosstours)
Camry - 27,914
Fusion - 18,971
Sonata - 18,536
Malibu - 16,536
Altima - 14,762
Avenger - 6,000
Sebring - 4,053
Legacy - 3,851
Milan - 3,101
Optima - 2,912
Mazda6 - 2,536
Galant - ?
Old 05-05-10, 12:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Based on the sales reports from different automakers, it seems as though the top three sedans in April in terms of retail sales were the Accord, Camry, and Sonata. Of course there is no hard data to verify this.
Old 05-05-10, 05:36 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Based on the sales reports from different automakers, it seems as though the top three sedans in April in terms of retail sales were the Accord, Camry, and Sonata. Of course there is no hard data to verify this.
I don't know how you figure that.

FWIW the first place I saw the new Sonata was at a rental car facility. The Fusion outsold the Sonata for the month and until I see any other data to prove otherwise, that's just the way it is.
Old 05-05-10, 05:54 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Fleet

DEARBORN, Mich. – U.S. auto sales to fleets surged 47 percent in the first quarter compared to last year, an early sign of economic improvement as governments, construction businesses and rental-car companies began buying again.

Automakers are expecting fleet sales to continue to climb. Ford Motor Co.'s Americas President Mark Fields said Thursday the company is expecting further increases to daily-rental and commercial fleets for the rest of this year as the economy improves, although it believes government sales will level off.

Fields discussed the industry's first-quarter fleet sales jump at an event at Ford's Dearborn headquarters touting the automaker's fleet vehicles, including a new police car due out next year. Ford's fleet sales soared 80 percent in the first quarter over the same quarter a year ago.

The fleet market is an important one for Ford, which is the largest player in commercial fleets — or businesses with five or more vehicles — and government fleets, where it controls 44 percent of the market. Ford's F-series truck is the top-selling fleet vehicle in the country.

Fleet sales virtually disappeared in 2009, as governments, corporations and rental-car companies were hit by the recession. For the full year, fleet sales made up 17.1 percent of the U.S. market, down from a peak of 22 percent in 2005, according to Jeff Schuster, J.D. Power's executive director of automotive forecasting.

But things have been improving. In January, fleet sales increased to 25 percent of the market as companies began to replenish their supply. Schuster said J.D. Power expects the fleet percentage to eventually settle at around 19 percent of industry sales.

The auto industry has a complicated relationship with fleets. If fleet sales get too high, they can damage profits and flood the market with used cars, which hurts residual values. Fleet sales also are generally less profitable than sales to individual customers.

But Jesse Toprak, an economist for auto pricing Web site TrueCar.com, said fleet sales can be profitable if they're managed right. They can also be a good way to get customers to try vehicles that they might not otherwise have been introduced to.

"There's so much volatility now, with this economy, it requires constant monitoring," Toprak said.

Toprak and Schuster said they're not concerned about high fleet sales in the first quarter because companies needed to make up for last year.

Historically, Detroit automakers had heavy sales to daily-rental companies, but General Motors Co. and Ford have cut back in recent years to help repair brand image and residual values. Ford says 43 percent of its fleet sales now go to daily-rental firms, compared to an average of 66 percent for other fleet sellers.

As a result, Fields said, Ford's average residual value rose $1,300 per vehicle between the 2009 and 2010 model years, the highest gain in the industry.

"Fleet is not a bad word at Ford,"
Fields said. "Done in moderation, it can be very, very healthy for you."

Fleet sales made up 36 percent of Ford's business in the first quarter. Kraft Foods just bought 2,500 new Ford Fusions for its sales staff, in part because it wanted to save fuel by switching to cars with smaller engines. Ford's chief U.S. sales analyst George Pipas says Ford expects to end the year with about 30 percent of its sales going to fleets.

Some companies are depending even more heavily on fleets. Chrysler Group LLC doesn't release a percentage of fleet sales, but Toprak said Chrysler boosted sluggish sales in the first quarter by making half its sales to fleets.

Hyundai Motor Co., Kia Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. also have recently boosted fleet sales, Schuster said. Toyota Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co. have traditionally sent less than 10 percent of their U.S. sales to fleets, but have made slight increases in recent months, he said.

"We're seeing a little more balanced fleet mix across the manufacturers than we did historically," Schuster said.
Old 05-05-10, 06:16 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
if gas prices rise out of control, why would you even buy an expensive lexus in the first place? it doesn't guarantee anything.
You are asking why would one buy an expensive car? Are you serious? Gas prices rise and suddenly people stop buying luxury cars? Your logic is flawed on this one.

Quick Reply: April 2010 Monthly Auto Sales Thread