Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camaro to get reworked interior for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 10:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camaro to get reworked interior for 2012

Used to be that dudes who drove pony/muscle cars didn't give a damn about having nicely textured, low-sheen car interior trimmings. As long as the plastic flashing on the seams of the center console wasn't so egregious that it would slice their hands while they reached for ashtray, it was cool.

But now men cry out in public and want a non-crappy interior in their Camaro. One problem: The new Camaro's interior is indeed on the crappy side. A GM insider confirmed for us that the company is hard at work now on a substantially reworked interior for the Camaro that will appear for the 2012 model year. He couldn't/wouldn't list all of the changes, but did mention that most of the upgrading work will go into the dash and specifically that big expanse of blackness in front of the passenger. We're betting the work will include substantially more than just a new dash cap and will -- please, please, please -- include a new, less-stupidly shaped steering wheel and primary gauges designed with readability as a higher priority than some ill-considered retro style.

Also new for the 2012 will be a little something called the Camaro Z28. Perhaps you've heard of it once (or a million times) before. Why wait until the 2012 model year? Our source says so it doesn't step on the toes to the convertible which will be the Camaro's "big news for 2011."

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-for-2012.html
Welcomed news, obviously. That interior is absolutely hideous as-is, but I love the car otherwise.
Old 04-30-10, 11:38 AM
LexFather

Yeah one of the weak points, glad they are not oblivious to it.

Old 04-30-10, 01:08 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Welcomed news, obviously. That interior is absolutely hideous as-is, but I love the car otherwise.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah one of the weak points, glad they are not oblivious to it.
Agreed... inside sucks
Old 04-30-10, 01:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see a quick reaction/response, especially from GM.
Old 04-30-10, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As long as the plastic flashing on the seams of the center console wasn't so egregious that it would slice their hands while they reached for ashtray, it was cool.
Don't laugh. I can remember some vehicles where things like this COULD happen...and not just on American ponycars, either.

and primary gauges designed with readability as a higher priority than some ill-considered retro style.
Actually, the big twin primary-gauges, in front of the driver, are not the main problem....they are not perfect, but are at least fairly legible at a glance. The main problem, as I see it (or, rather, don't see it ) is the smaller, secondary-gauge panel, with the small rectangles, at the front of the lower-console. That was done, of course, as a sop to the late-1960s models, but they are distinctly harder to see and read, at a glance, than the two main gauges.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-10 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 04:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

My mom made the point that the lights on the shifter were too small, making it difficult to see if you were in park. However, she lamented having the big V8 and auto trans as it was.
Old 04-30-10, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Glad to see a quick reaction/response, especially from GM.
I agree and that is an impressive response.

Old 04-30-10, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Impressive response? You guys kidding me? In this day and time, after three solid decades of GM knowingly making bad interiors, the general public pointing it out just as long, all car magazine and reviewers pointing it out for the same amount of time, dozens of admissions and promises from GM to make better interiors over the years, having bought Audi cars to disect and copy in the design room, AND THEY STILL CAME OUT WITH THE ALL NEW CAMARO WITH A CRAPPY INTERIOR!!! There is no excuse for it! It never should have happened in the first place! Especially after having six years worth of developement time! And now they are A-OK for fixing it? Give me a break! All this is is a grade "F" going to a grade "D." A HUGE FAIL again for allowing this special car to be released with a lousy interior in the first place. HUUUUUUGE FAIL! (fail) =)
Old 04-30-10, 10:55 PM
daelo74
Driver

when i sat in the car for the first time and saw the crappy plastic on the inside of the door, i questioned who the hell approved this *****? oh, the yacht size steering wheel didn't help either.
Old 04-30-10, 11:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think its time for automanufactures to start asking the general public what we think about the design and interior quality of cars before they put them on the market.. Heck were the ones buying the car we should have the right to pick and choose how the car is built. The general public is spending hard earned money on cars that GM or whoever thinks we might like. Look at the Camaro, a great eye catching design but **** poor interior. You think since we helped GM out of the hole they could at least take our opinion on the interior before they build it... Right
Old 05-01-10, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I think its time for automanufactures to start asking the general public what we think about the design and interior quality of cars before they put them on the market.. Heck were the ones buying the car we should have the right to pick and choose how the car is built. The general public is spending hard earned money on cars that GM or whoever thinks we might like. Look at the Camaro, a great eye catching design but **** poor interior. You think since we helped GM out of the hole they could at least take our opinion on the interior before they build it... Right
Point taken, but, at the same time, the question arises if the public would be willing to accept the higher vehicle prices that might result from better materials inside....or, conversely, if the auto manufacturers themselves would sacrifice a little more profit to satisfy their customers more. Money, of course, doesn't grow on trees, and cars, in most cases, have to be designed and built to a strict budget. Take Hyundai, for instance. Their well-documented quality increase was not a free lunch...prices, though still a little lower than their competitors, did rise somewhat to reflect the better-quality materials the vehicles were using.

Of course, there are instances of cost-cutting on the manufacturers' part that are needlessly cheap, too, and out of line with the prices of the vehicles they are making. Take the last couple of reviews I've done..........the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot. When you open the hoods of a couple of vehicles like these that, in top-line trim, can list for over 40K, and see a cheap hand prop-rod instead of gas struts, that is simply out of place. So, IMO, is a cheap bottle of Fix-a-Flat in a $94,000 Mercedes AMG instead of any kind of spare tire, real or otherwise.